TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Suggestions needed for window tinting in San Diego area

Discussion in 'Model S' started by 2017ModS, May 28, 2017.

1. 2017ModS

2017ModS Member

Hello everyone! I need advice on tinting for my Model S. This will be for side window and rear window only, not front windshield. Can you give me recommendations on:
    1. Best film for durability and heat protection while minimizing drastic change in car's appearance and remaining legal in CA?
    2. Recommended shops/installers in San Diego area?
    3. Does tinting affect any of the car's functionality, i.e. GPS/sensors/LTE reception (car not phone)?
    4. Approximate cost, if you are comfortable posting.

Thank you very much!

2. plugzinSD

plugzinSD Member

Talk to Theo at Monumental Workx. I had his company apply Expel to the front half of my Model S, and I was pleased with the work, which was competitively priced. He will have a variety of options for window tinting for consideration. He and his staff are also savvy on the regulations. 858 291 8200.

3. 2017ModS

2017ModS Member

Wonderful, thanks!

4. plugzinSD

plugzinSD Member

How did it work out?

5. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Active Member

sdtint.com

They do GREAT work on high-end cars and have done a lot of Teslas.

• Like x 1
  6. 2017ModS

2017ModS Member

So, I went with Theo's shop, Monumental Workx using Spectra Photosync film. For the rear windows/trunk: SPH35 and front windows SPH55. Curtis did the installation and his work is phenomenal! I am super happy with the work they did. I'd highly recommend them! Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

• Like x 1
  7. KneeCola

KneeCola Member

how much did it cost you if I can ask? I am looking for the tinting my MS and I hear around $600. Tinting on a non tesla costed me around 1/4th of that. It was a good quality one but that was 8 years ago.

8. Wknapp0924

Wknapp0924 Member

450 is what I paid at pacific coast auto detail. It looks great, not so legal but never had a problem in over a year.

9. Ravenous21

Ravenous21 Member

I went with San Diego tint and it was $370.00, have had no issues after the installation