Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions on how to set Powerwalls for cloudy days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have my Powerwalls to run the house from 2pm to 9pm everyday, have my biggest power hog the pool running during that time. Usually by 2 the powerwall is at 100%, but today it only got to 90%. When it starts at 100% it will get down to around 42% by 9pm. I doubt that in the winter or when there is not enough solar the above will happen. My thought is to cut down on the time the powerwall runs the house to get it back to 100% before it starts discharging, just looking for input from those who have experienced this.

Those are the 2 settings to play with: Reserve and Peak Time.
I don't think you have gone through a true-up yet, so you don't know if you have negative or positive NEM yet. Where are you at YTD and when did your NEM start?
If you are likely heading towards a negative NEM, then I would make the Peak Time less. You could accomplish the same thing by adjusting Reserve above 50%. However, I like adjusting Peak so I can move the PW usage later in the day and therefore lesson the load on the Grid at its Peak Demand

Reactions: Dave EV
Those are the 2 settings to play with: Reserve and Peak Time.
I don't think you have gone through a true-up yet, so you don't know if you have negative or positive NEM yet. Where are you at YTD and when did your NEM start?
If you are likely heading towards a negative NEM, then I would make the Peak Time less. You could accomplish the same thing by adjusting Reserve above 50%. However, I like adjusting Peak so I can move the PW usage later in the day and therefore lesson the load on the Grid at its Peak Demand
Actually they just did a true up as of end of June because of the switch to TOUC required for the SGIP. The Powerwalls are new but last month my bill was around $6 and that was before I switched my pool filtering during powerwall time. I will see where I end up with total % left on powerwall tonight and adjust as needed. Thanks for your help.

What I meant was that you haven't had a true-up with your PWs in play. You don't know how much it will change your NEM annual charge. Mine changed a lot from positive ~$150 to negative $680.
With that info, I now set my reserve pretty high since the negative NEM does nothing for you

A couple of questions.

Why the 2PM switch to PW? Is there a rate change then?

What do you do with the pool pump schedule in the winter?
Good question, I decided to run the pool filter and sweep on the powerwall. So I also wanted to cover the peak from 4 to 9, so filter for 6 hours from 2 to 8. Not sure what I will do in the winter, probably will have to change since there will not be enough sun to charge the Powerwalls.

Good question, I decided to run the pool filter and sweep on the powerwall. So I also wanted to cover the peak from 4 to 9, so filter for 6 hours from 2 to 8. Not sure what I will do in the winter, probably will have to change since there will not be enough sun to charge the Powerwalls.
Just curious. When I was a kid we had a pool and in the winter we ran it in the middle of the night when the rates were low and to prevent freezing (Central valley). Is that not what people do with modern pool installations?

Just curious. When I was a kid we had a pool and in the winter we ran it in the middle of the night when the rates were low and to prevent freezing (Central valley). Is that not what people do with modern pool installations?
Yes, I run mine in the early morning hours during the off-peak rates. However, once I'm forced to switch to a rate plan with off-peak that goes to 4pm, then I'll switch it to the afternoon. It rarely freezes here, and the pump controller automatically turns on when the temp gets below 36°F anyway.

I could do that but want to lower my electrical bill because the pool is the main draw of kW so using the Powerwalls. In the winter I will have to run it early or at night do to lack of solar production.