Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions on new tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys - could use some suggestions/advice on tires.

What are you guys doing when you need to change tires (after their worn)?

Are you going to a tire shop or directly to Tesla service? I'm not seeing an option on the app to purchase new tires. The only thing I see is for flat tires.

I have the 22" tires. What tires are you choosing? The noise insulated tires are much more expensive which are what I have now. Anyone go with regular tires?

Lastly, I went to a couple of places locally both didn't look thrilled. I was told I need to bring in a specific jack pad and order the tires myself. Is that something you all are doing as well?

I went with Discount Tire. I was given warranty on my OEM tires, and went back to the Continental Cross Contact LX Sport Quiet. This was because of the discount for the original wear and after driving on the new set for 5,000 miles, they are still very quiet. Continental directed me to Discount Tire to obtain a discount for the warranty. My understanding is Tesla doesn't do tire warranty, so if you buy from them and have issues, it's your problem. That was from Tesla SC near me in Florida, so also why I went with Discount Tire. Of course your 22" tires are going to be different. I'd stick with the more expensive quiet series.

Hi @Black Beauty ,

I had Tesla replace my OEM Continental ContiSilent tires with the same OEM tires.
They work fine for me in south Michigan and are quiet...
Be sure to get a good 4 wheel alignment.

Like all tires they can be "Loud" when driven on scarified (think airport runway)
or unusually constructed roadways.
Generally on the roads I drive, they are quiet...

@Les236 makes a good point of buying from a tire store to get a warranty.

For your own use or the tire store, a member here makes and sells quality jack pads
for all varieties of Tesla cars.
He is on eBay - Search for "Murphy's law jack pads."
I have them for all of my cars...

Good luck,

Shawn

For 22" wheels, since you are in Chicago, you will want the Continental ExtremeContact DWS all season tires. The stock Pirellis are terrible in snow. The Continentals do not have foam/sound deadening so they will be slightly louder.

Regarding where to get them changed, Discount Tire has been reliable. Just emphasize that they need to jack the car at the jack points and not touch the battery pack casing. You can also ask in the Tesla Owners Chicago Facebook group.

If you want to buy tires, look on Tire Rack. They usually have really good prices.

Reactions: BayAreaCelt
I just replaced my 22" wheel tires a week ago and went through the same dilemma so I'll share my experience.

As everyone knows going to Tesla's 22" wheels has a pretty significant range hit between 10-15%. I've looked into getting lighter 22" wheels but in the end didn't feel like dropping thousands of dollars for a 3rd set of wheels as I still keep the 20" OEMs for road trips or Tahoe trips in the snow. I read a while ago that a lot of people had good experience with Michelin Pilot 4S tires in terms of a much quieter ride and better range efficiency so I decided to give these a try.

I just mounted on these new tires and went on my first drive today. I'm not sure about others experience but I felt the Pirelli Scorpion's were not obsessively loud to begin with and felt these Micheline's were comparable. I guess that says something about these tires as they aren't noise insulated. Range efficiency still need more mileage to determine but on highway speeds ~77mph it seemed to perform a bit better. I know with 20" OEM wheels I've seen upwards of 430 wh/mi. With these 22" Michelins it was averaging around 470 wh/mi.

Agree with the Murphy's jack pad. I've been using these for all wheel swaps and they work great. Ive had 2 of the pegs snapped off and was told it may have been due to uneven surface? Either way it makes jacking up the car easier for sure and would still recommend. (I've always swapped the wheels myself and taken the wheels into tire shops for tire swaps)

And i ordered these tires through America's tire (aka discount tire). They provide lifetime warranty on the tires if they ever get damaged beyond repair where they pro-rate that tire if its above 3/32" thread. If you need to replace the other 3 tires at the same time then those are not pro-rated unless you purchase their tire certificates.

P.S. Micheline Pilot 4S tires also have a 30K mileage warranty so if you get pre-mature wear it's nice to get some credit back towards the purchase of new tires.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 4.38.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 4.38.44 PM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Hi guys - could use some suggestions/advice on tires.

What are you guys doing when you need to change tires (after their worn)?

Are you going to a tire shop or directly to Tesla service? I'm not seeing an option on the app to purchase new tires. The only thing I see is for flat tires.

I have the 22" tires. What tires are you choosing? The noise insulated tires are much more expensive which are what I have now. Anyone go with regular tires?

Lastly, I went to a couple of places locally both didn't look thrilled. I was told I need to bring in a specific jack pad and order the tires myself. Is that something you all are doing as well?
I was advised by my very helpful SC manager to get tires elsewhere (when needed in the future). Everything else should be done by the SC or owner (cabin filter, etc.)

I went with Pirelli Scorpion Zeros. Much quieter than Continentals in my opinion. I got almost 50,000 miles on the OEM Continentals.

I also went with the Pirelli Scorpions, but went with A/S plus. Much better then the original continentals both in noise and comfort. I even think vehicle is more quick, but not 100% sure on this. They look "meatier" and thicker then the continentals.. Im satisfied.

I went to my local discount tire, they did a superb job.

I just replaced my 22" wheel tires a week ago and went through the same dilemma so I'll share my experience.

As everyone knows going to Tesla's 22" wheels has a pretty significant range hit between 10-15%. I've looked into getting lighter 22" wheels but in the end didn't feel like dropping thousands of dollars for a 3rd set of wheels as I still keep the 20" OEMs for road trips or Tahoe trips in the snow. I read a while ago that a lot of people had good experience with Michelin Pilot 4S tires in terms of a much quieter ride and better range efficiency so I decided to give these a try.

I just mounted on these new tires and went on my first drive today. I'm not sure about others experience but I felt the Pirelli Scorpion's were not obsessively loud to begin with and felt these Micheline's were comparable. I guess that says something about these tires as they aren't noise insulated. Range efficiency still need more mileage to determine but on highway speeds ~77mph it seemed to perform a bit better. I know with 20" OEM wheels I've seen upwards of 430 wh/mi. With these 22" Michelins it was averaging around 470 wh/mi.

Agree with the Murphy's jack pad. I've been using these for all wheel swaps and they work great. Ive had 2 of the pegs snapped off and was told it may have been due to uneven surface? Either way it makes jacking up the car easier for sure and would still recommend. (I've always swapped the wheels myself and taken the wheels into tire shops for tire swaps)

And i ordered these tires through America's tire (aka discount tire). They provide lifetime warranty on the tires if they ever get damaged beyond repair where they pro-rate that tire if its above 3/32" thread. If you need to replace the other 3 tires at the same time then those are not pro-rated unless you purchase their tire certificates.

P.S. Micheline Pilot 4S tires also have a 30K mileage warranty so if you get pre-mature wear it's nice to get some credit back towards the purchase of new tires.

the Michelin 4S is also supposed to handle better. Do they feel grippier in turns?

I have had two sets of stock pirelli p zeroes ..first set went 42k miles ..second set went 50k miles I maintain 45psi in California..been happy with them and don’t see myself using other tires ..I have local shop where I’m able to get set for $1k installed

I have swapped summer tires on my X from 22” Continental PremiumContact 6 to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. I managed to squeeze 48’000 km / 30’000 miles from the Conti. At equivalent conditions and pressure settings I experience less consumption and much smoother ride with the Michelin’s but I recon the rubber will harden a bit over next season. I can not yet comment much on the resistance to wear since I have only 10”000 km / 6”200 miles on the 4S. My 3P has though the same tires and by 30’000 km / 18’600 miles I barely see any wear.

This is what I put on mine. Very quiet at first and get noisy after 10k miles or so. For this price I don't mind replacing them once every 12-18 months.

Compare
Not Yet Rated

Tire Rack Tested

GOODYEAR
EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC 3
Max Performance Summer
  • Front: 265/35R22 102W XL
  • T0 Tesla
  • Style: Blackwall
  • Load Range: XLMax. Load= 1,874 lbs
    Max psi= 50 psi
  • Load Index= 1,874 lbs (850 kg) per tire
    Speed Rating= 168 mph (270 kph)
  • Traction: AA
    Temperature: A
  • Qty:
  • Per Tire:

• $163.44
  • Rear: 285/35R22 106W XL
  • T0 Tesla
  • Style: Blackwall
  • Load Range: XLMax. Load= 2,094 lbs
    Max psi= 50 psi
  • Load Index= 2,094 lbs (950 kg) per tire
    Speed Rating= 168 mph (270 kph)
  • Traction: AA
    Temperature: A
  • Qty:
  • Per Tire:

• $175.39

Set of 4: $677.66

I have had two sets of stock pirelli p zeroes ..first set went 42k miles ..second set went 50k miles I maintain 45psi in California..been happy with them and don’t see myself using other tires ..I have local shop where I’m able to get set for $1k installed

Are you in SoCal by any chance? I'd be interested in that tire shop for the set of tires if you were.