Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions on selling a MS85 when buying an X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These are big ticket items, at least to us. Any suggestions best way to sell an S with the uncertainty of an X pickup? What are the best venues to sell an S? Any experience in private party sales price compared with a trade in with tesla?

General advice along these lines would be appreciated.

Maybe we need to borrow some real estate tools, like conditional offers. You'll sell you car based on delivery of Model-X.

Depending on how dependent you are on the S (e.g. single car family vs multi-car family) and your finances, I wouldn't begin the process until you had a relatively firm delivery date. Even then, there is no harm in having both for a period of time (if you can afford it), in case you need to leave the X for a week or two for those initial repairs many are requiring.

Reactions: umeshunni
I'm in the same situation now that I decided to book an X while waiting for the hypothetical S resfresh. One of the fastest way to sell your S may be to use autonation.com (or similar). You get a quick quote and they send someone to check if the car is in the condition you described online. My single experience with them was smooth when selling my previous car to buy the S (they used to have a partnership with Tesla for a trade in at the same time the S was delivered, they don't anymore). You won't have as much money as with a private sell, but you'll get more than what Tesla would offer themselves. FYI got a quote of $45,500 for my 2014 S85 with 42,000 miles while Autonation offered $51,500 a month ago.

I listed my car everywhere and was surprised when the person who ended up pulling the trigger (For my S) was from Craig's list. I ended up getting a good very good price for my car and I was happy with the guy who bought it. It nearly sold two other times to people on this site but the third was the one that pulled the trigger (Craig's list).

Your gonna usually get about 5,000 more from a private sale vs selling to a wholesaler. Black and White sell best then other colors follow... Remember, if you are not in a hurry and you have priced it fair you will eventually get your price. Hope that helps!

Reactions: umeshunni