Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions Tire Inflator with Digital Gauge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good day guys.

Was wondering if anyone could suggest a good Tire Inflator with Digital Gauge

Anyone tests any that comes close to the built-in psi numbers in the model 3.
Figured I would ask first before pulling the trigger on any.

Thanks

I find the TPMS is often what is off the most around 1 psi (which is a lot).
Several of my gauges agree with each other (with in some fraction of a pound) and the TPMS appears the outlier (and the TPMS all agree with each other).

Keep in mind many Digital Gauges are not all that accurate and are basically analog gauges that convert it to a digital display.
I've found even some cheapo $5 gauges to be more accurate than some $30 "digital" gauges.

Almost any gauge should be reasonably consistent. So if it reads a pound lower than say TPMS add a pound to your hand gauge.

Reactions: tfraley
I use a Joe's Racing analog gauge:
https://www.amazon.com/Joes-Racing-32307-Pressure-Gauge/dp/B00404WDUC

And a Viair compressor:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036E9VB6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The gauge on the Viair is mostly accurate, but it's way more convenient to have a manual gauge with a thumb valve for blowing off pressure. I don't trust digital gauges.

Depends on what you're trying to do, though. If you don't really care that much about accuracy, i'd just buy the one with the best reviews on Amazon.

Thanks, guys,

I have a few analogs laying around. I just figured a digital one would give you a more accurate reading.
Or at least one that easier to reproduce x4

I'm just randomly searching but was thinking something like the following
https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-ATG2...39249&s=automotive&smid=A2NOFZGOKNP3PJ&sr=1-6

I just don't know what brands are good or china rip off's ;)

I've yet to find a gauge very accurate that is built into the compressor.

But I 2nd @jyalpert recommendation on Viair compressors. I have 3 of the ones he linked to.

Just look at the reviews on Amazon and pick what you want to spend. Watch out on some Digital ones they increment in 0.5 psi steps.

Reactions: tfraley
I use a Joe's Racing analog gauge:
https://www.amazon.com/Joes-Racing-32307-Pressure-Gauge/dp/B00404WDUC

And a Viair compressor:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036E9VB6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The gauge on the Viair is mostly accurate, but it's way more convenient to have a manual gauge with a thumb valve for blowing off pressure. I don't trust digital gauges.

Depends on what you're trying to do, though. If you don't really care that much about accuracy, i'd just buy the one with the best reviews on Amazon.

I also use a vlair compressor (I really like it and actually keep it in the bottom compartment of the trunk.

I use this digital thermometer:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B6JJUK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We've never had any of our 3 ViAir compressors fail in 20+ years of use, including many TOUGH re-inflations of our Jeep's 35" BFG All-Terrain tires from 12 psi (off-road rock crawling) to 28 psi (highway) in 100ºF dusty deserts. In that time we've bought and broken 2 other supposedly comparable "cheaper" air compressors which cost more to repair than we paid for them. Worse was the cheap air compressors broke when we needed them away from home. OUCH.

The "savings" buying cheap air compressors isn't worth the risk IMHO. Air compressors are Emergency Equipment you'll need someday to re-inflate your Tesla tire so you can drive to a tire shop to have the puncture repaired. Cheaping out on Emergency Equipment is risky and potentially very costly. THINK Takata airbags. How did that work out for the auto manufacturers... and poor people whose airbags exploded unexpectedly due to corrosion of the "cheaper" Takata airbags.

Good day guys.

Was wondering if anyone could suggest a good Tire Inflator with Digital Gauge

Anyone tests any that comes close to the built-in psi numbers in the model 3.
Figured I would ask first before pulling the trigger on any.

Thanks
Home Depot has a Ryobi inflator, battery operated (you will need to get one with a charger), with digital readout which monitors the inflation process. Mine has worked well for several years and is well worth the investment.

We've never had any of our 3 ViAir compressors fail in 20+ years of use, including many TOUGH re-inflations of our Jeep's 35" BFG All-Terrain tires from 12 psi (off-road rock crawling) to 28 psi (highway) in 100ºF dusty deserts. In that time we've bought and broken 2 other supposedly comparable "cheaper" air compressors which cost more to repair than we paid for them. Worse was the cheap air compressors broke when we needed them away from home. OUCH.

The "savings" buying cheap air compressors isn't worth the risk IMHO. Air compressors are Emergency Equipment you'll need someday to re-inflate your Tesla tire so you can drive to a tire shop to have the puncture repaired. Cheaping out on Emergency Equipment is risky and potentially very costly. THINK Takata airbags. How did that work out for the auto manufacturers... and poor people whose airbags exploded unexpectedly due to corrosion of the "cheaper" Takata airbags.
100% this.

Buy once, cry once

100% this.

Buy once, cry once
I have one but the good models need to be connected directly to the 12v battery. In my last car not an issue but no way I’m doing that in the Model 3. I purchased a Dewalt compressor that uses my existing batteries of which I keep a couple extra in the car. The Dewalt also runs off 120v or 12v socket. It has a digital cutoff that you set and it works damn well where every tire is within 1 psi of the other... every time. I still have my ViAir but it is no longer in my car.

I have one but the good models need to be connected directly to the 12v battery. In my last car not an issue but no way I’m doing that in the Model 3. I purchased a Dewalt compressor that uses my existing batteries of which I keep a couple extra in the car. The Dewalt also runs off 120v or 12v socket. It has a digital cutoff that you set and it works damn well where every tire is within 1 psi of the other... every time. I still have my ViAir but it is no longer in my car.

Yes the LARGER ViAir compressors like our ViAir 400C DO connect directly to 12V battery terminals... because they use more amps than a 12V cigarette lighter socket / wiring / fuse circuit can provide. That's great for our lifted Jeep with HIGH profile 35" diameter tires on WIDE 16" rims since it will refill these MUCH larger volume tires faster... but IMHO unnecessary for cars with 27" diameter tires on narrower 21" rims. Tire VOLUME matters. The larger the tire VOLUME the faster the FLOW RATE compressor you need... which requires MORE AMPS... which requires a direct connection to a 12V battery.

The ViAir 84P is the fastest flowing continuous compressor on the market that works off standard 12V cigarette lighter socket / wiring / fuse circuits. It's perfect for our Teslas' relatively SMALL volume low profile / standard width tires. Sure a ViAir 400C will refill a Tesla tire faster... but by seconds, not minutes. The 84P is the RIGHT tool for refilling our tires. Getting a bigger compressor will require getting power from a source other than our Teslas which won't help when you just need to pump your tire up enough to get to a tire store to get a puncture fixed... or just add air when temperatures drop.

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
Thanks, guys,

I have a few analogs laying around. I just figured a digital one would give you a more accurate reading.
Or at least one that easier to reproduce x4

I'm just randomly searching but was thinking something like the following
https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-ATG2...39249&s=automotive&smid=A2NOFZGOKNP3PJ&sr=1-6

I just don't know what brands are good or china rip off's ;)

I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BDG5S18
I like that it easily clips onto the valve stem so I can them fill with air. The free valve stem gauges are rubbish.