Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions To Improve Navigate on Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have used AutoPilot V1 for about 4 years on my Model X and absolutely love it and rely on it for all highway driving. My wife got the Model 3 a year and half ago and I occasionally get to drive it. Whenever I do, I give Navigate on Autopilot (NOA) a try to see how it is improving. I tired to use it today and found it extremely stressful to use and generally not very good. I shut it off after about 10 minutes. Based on this drive and prior experiences, there are a couple of obvious changes which would make a significant difference. I am thinking there are probably other ideas from those who have experienced it more regularly so I figured the topic was worthy of a thread.

Today, traffic was busy but not especially so. I was in the middle lane on a 3 line highway about 4 miles away from my upcoming exit. I watched traffic closely and for the next 3 miles - the right lane was wide open for the car to move over to the right lane in preparation for the exit. The car made no attempt to move to the right lane. At about .5 miles out form the exit, the car started to try to get over - but by that time the right lane was heavily congested and I had to take over or likely miss my exit. When I drive, I start to maneuver to the proper lane when I am 2 miles out from the exit. Yes I often get slowed down a bit, but traffic patterns as such that there are almost always easy lane changes opportunities during that time interval. Suggestion1 -Why not have NOA start the lane change at 2 miles in advance of an exit.

The next unfortunate maneuver was an attempted return to the slow lane right at a point of traffic merging onto the highway. As you might guess, the car chose to move to the right just as a car was merging on. The angle of the merge was sharp enough that I’m not sure it registered the on-coming car. Once again I took over. Suggestion 2 - Why not avoid lane changes back to the right lane at merge points.

Other ideas?

Reactions: PianoAl