Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suitability of Model Y for the daily grind of NYC commuting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If someone does steal your Tesla, you can just open your phone to find it's location. I think the MY is a great choice for a grinding commute, but I would definitely get 19" Geminis over the 20 or 21" wheels for the potholes and the weather.

If you use AP through the tunnel and especially for the approach the gap will be enough for people to cut into you and they will constantly, however, you probably won't notice or care because you will be relaxed, not really paying attention while your car drives. You will probably be catching up on emails or reading TMC forums on your phone. It's amazing how much less stressful traffic is when someone else is doing the driving.

When I've used auto cruise control on my x5 (shore traffic) it generally leaves at least a car gap between me and the car in front of me. Obviously, this is ideal for safety and to smooth out the ride but will result in people hating you at the Lincon Tunnel as everyone and their mother cuts in front of you endlessly. Does the Tesla autopilot actually allow for small enough gaps that nobody can inch their way in?

I have come to terms with the build quality of the MYP and I agree its a complete step down from what I'm used to. In fact, when I optioned my X5 M50I, I basically checked almost everything. The "vegan" leather of the Tesla to me is worse than the vinyl options in MB and BMW but I can live with it although full Merino Leather with quilted stitching is NIIIICE. I found the seat also less comfortable than the X5 by a mile and also worse than the x3's that I've driven as a loaner. I know its gimmicky but the ambient lighting, especially the light refracting pano roof on the M50I (I don't think this can be optioned in the base) is super cool. And It shocks me that Tesla has no heads up display.

However, my assumption my x5 m50I is too nice to drive into the city everyday. It would pain me to see what condition it will be in after daily commutes as opposed to its current condition which looks basically brand new with less than 13K miles after two years. I figured the MYP would hold relatively decent value in 2-3 years and I won't have to be so precious with is (although I would still probably PPF the entire car).

I actually did consider the X3/X4 M40i. Last I checked, the order time is only about 8-10 weeks and the MSRP is quite similar to the MYP. Comfort probably is even better than the MYP. However it pains me to see all the gloss on the center console of the vehicle (I suppose I could have an aftermarket wrapped placed on it) and the interior design is getting a little old in the tooth.

In my ideal scenario, I would just get a Macan S or Macan GTS but the Macan S is slower than the Tesla. My initial thought was one pedal driving may actually be better for the tunnel (although I'm not second guessing myself and looking for those with experience). And while I love the Macan S, when optioned out it would be a good $15K more than the MYP and then there is sales tax and whatever "market adjustment" the dealership is going to add. Plus the wait time looks like 5-7 months (and GTS is even longer). Given that price difference, I worry that I will baby the Macan S and not treat it like a daily.

I am also considering the IX and the i4 m50i. But like you said, I'm pushing $100k for that vehicle for the 50 variant (not even sure what the m60 price is) and as far as I know the initial deliveries are sold out so I'm looking at more like end of 2022. I have a deposit for a Rivian R1S which they claim will get delivered in 2H23 (I assume 2024) and at that point will probably trade in my X5 m50I for either the R1S, IX M60, Macan EV unless I can find a reasonably priced used Audi RS6 Avant out there.

But again, those cars are all meant to be wow cars, where I can generally baby it and not worry about the wear and tear of 15k+ miles a year.
I have a Model 3 and have lived in NYC for 3.5 years with it.
Autopilot is helpful on NYC highways only in light stop&go traffic when you aren't changing lanes.
The car will NOT allow you to reduce the gap between you and the car in front as low as you probably want in NYC.
You will definitely be dealing with people cutting you off in the tunnel queues.

Mostly everyone has given you a lot of good info i haven't really driven much in stop and go traffic like you mentioned cause i usually avoid those areas like the plague

but i will point out you can set the model y to creep just like an ice vehicle maybe you overlooked it on your test drive but there's an option to have it hold(default) roll(basically rolls forward or backwards) or creep(just like an ice vehicle)

Hi all,

I'm a newb here and please forgive my lack of knowledge. Due the pandemic, my public transportation options into NYC have been significantly reduced and it honestly remains unclear if there will be mass transit options for me in the future. For now, I've decided to attempt to live with daily driving in via the Lincoln Tunnel while in a hybrid 3x a week schedule as we get closer to our return to work date.

Currently, I drive a BMW X5 M50i which I honestly love as a vehicle on the highways and in my town but find to be very fatiguing when dealing with the stop and go traffic of the Lincoln Tunnel perhaps due to the mismatch of my power (525hp) and heavy braking of the vehicle (great for stopping power but in traffic can be a little nauseating). I also just find the car slightly too large for self-park garages and fear the inevitable door dings on such an expensive vehicle.

The MYP seems like a great option for me. It still has a decent ride height (love sedans but not when surrounded exclusively by trucks/suvs). Being 3 inches narrower doesn't seem like a big deal but would be helpful in navigating those self-park tunnels with pillars and all and likely reduces the dings. Not having a gas guzzler seems great for the daily commute (sometimes I'm getting <15mpg) and sentry mode seems like a great idea. I test drove the MYLR and while I found the suspension surprisingly unrefined, I do think I can live with that and some of its other quirks.

However, my question to anybody that deals with 45 minutes to 1 hour of stop and go traffic which feels like a knife fight where you are merging into lanes and nobody wants to give up an inch (myself included) which likely means autopilot is a non-option here, am I barking up the wrong tree with the MYP? I figured one pedal driving may actually be less fatiguing than the constant lurching and sudden stopping between two pedals. But perhaps the instant torque (particularly with the performance model), regenerative breaking, lack of creeping makes this even more fatiguing than my current setup. This was not something I was able to test easily during my test drive.

Anybody with experience here would be much appreciated as I'm scheduled for delivery in February but part of me wonders if this is a bad idea and I should just let go of the $250 deposit as I'm not solving for the right problem here. Thanks in advance.
IMHO
Just get a VW iD4.
It's a good, competent commuter, and will tolerate the NYC potholes, manholes, and uneven pavement without an issue. (I grew up driving the NY Metro area)
The interior is more near to what you're accustomed to. Not same, but, good enough.
It won't be fast per se but does go fast. But in stop/go commuter traffic, performance doesn't much matter.
It won't break the bank, still gets a 4500 tax incentive, leaves more funds for fun stuff.
And you can get delivery pretty quickly.

There's no AutoPilot that works in stop+go traffic. All of them work well enough on highways. You're nuts to believe AP works well for all local roads.
None of my several friends that have a Tesla would ever use AP in LA traffic. They've tried. And NYC traffic congestion funnels into fewer pipes than LA. No fun.

You might consider a Tesla M3, which is fast, rides comfortably (better than a MYLR or MYP), and is deliverable quickly at lower cost.

Reactions: sjg98
Thanks all for the additional info. I didn't try the creep mode. I actually just realized my x5 has an auto hold recently where at a stop, I can take my foot off the break and it won't move forward until I put my foot on the gas. At first I was like, "Cool this is almost like 1 pedal driving." But then I found it difficult to do things like park in my garage because of the lack of creep mode and just touching the gas on my 525HP vehicle can cause it to lunge 3-5 inches when you are only looking to move 1-2 inches. I wonder if creep mode and two pedal works better in close quarter stop and go than one pedal driving.

Yeah, I haven't given the VW iD4 much though. I'll have to look into it. Same goes with the audi e-tron crossover. I know the Audi E-tron had limited range but my round trip is only 50 miles and I plan to keep the x5 m50i as the main family car.

Although I actually like sedans, the m3 has not been part of my shortlist be tunnel traffic is nothing but box trucks, contractor vans, and SUVs and so the ride height is a source of frustration to get your bearings.

I wonder if creep mode and two pedal works better in close quarter stop and go than one pedal driving.
That is what I have found. I only experimented with 1-pedal briefly before settling on using creep mode for all of my driving in my Model Y. I have a home garage and I like having my foot on the brake pedal instead of trying to feather 1-pedal when I park in my garage or even pull into a parking space at a shopping center. In everyday driving, at traffic signals creep mode and hold (like your X), plus Tesla Autopilot are what I use. Autopilot, when engaged and following another vehicle, will come to a complete stop. When the vehicle ahead starts moving again the Tesla will start accelerating and maintain the speed dependent distance. The follow distance can be set from 1 (shortest) to 7 (longest) follow distance. I usually have the Tesla Autopilot follow distance set to 4 or 5 for local driving at up to 40 MPH.

unpopular opinion here, but given that I have done that commute a few times and hated every minute of it. The Lincoln tunnel seems to be a soul-sucking portal which no one really escapes, and life in the city with the random A-holes who ding your doors, crazies who jump on your car, cut you off etc, well. Lets just say I'm extremely happy to not have to do that any more...

Here is my unpopular opinion... If it was me, given your current round trip demands and using it primarily for that (Keeping the X5 as the family car), you could pretty much steal a BMW ID3 right. Its a car that is ugly so who cares if it gets dinged up, has instant torque and will allow you to dart in and out of lanes where required. Small, so parking it is easy. Relatively comfortable and is reliable. Again, its not going to provide you with anything other than being a good vehicle to commute in. Similar to the Chevy Bolt, but as for commuting, its tough to beat them.

Reactions: npa201 and sjg98
All good points. Value is in the eye of the beholder. $64k is not cheap by any means but given my options if going the electric route, it does seem relatively expendable. Moreover, the Prius 0-60 of ~9+ seconds scares me. Sub 5 sec 0-60 cars give me confidence (perhaps false confidence) when it comes to getting on highways, switching lanes, etc.

You do bring up a decent point about NJT, Path of Ferry and its something I should look into. As it stands now, my current bus route does not work with my work hours but finding a nearby town with a more frequent schedule could also save time on with the Lincoln Tunnel bus-only lane and also save on overall total cost of ownership (given the cost of parking and EZ-Pass). Call me paranoid, but I still like the idea of Sentry mode on the Teslas. I just saw that the new BMW IX has a camera in the car that will record faces on the inside if there is a theft. I also theorized (but perhaps its completely a bad theory) that thefts of EVs are lower than ICE vehicles (can anyone confirm that?)
IDK… that just sounds like a placebo sense of security to me. If you record someone smashing your window for example, face and all, what are you going to do with that footage? Take it to the NYPD? They’ll be laughing for years to come in the locker room about the Tesla owner who came in with a USB drive thinking we’d track the perp down.

If you do end up deciding to drive into the city, you actually want a car with rather muted throttle response. The way you described parking in your garage, that’s the Lincoln x1,000. You’re pressing the gas to move forward 1-2 feet at a time. The last thing you want is lots of power and sensitive throttle.

Reactions: npa201 and sjg98
Former X6 50i owner and somewhat frequent NYC traffic knife fighter here:
Get a MYP and also some 19" wheels and tires, sell the 21's that come with it. You won't look back
There are only 4 things I miss from my X6 (slightly higher in traffic, better blind spot warning, better wiper washer function and the excellent auto climate control, none of these are as good in the Tesla but these are mostly quibbles)
But those 4 things are far outgunned by the 4000 things that are better. Notably for your situation:
-one pedal driving is awesome in NYC/north Jersey traffic
-its quieter: part of traffic fatigue is all the noise
-electricity was an extra $47 last month, that's less than one fill up of premium in the X6
-its way faster at all speeds
-seats are more comfortable
-seems like there is a supercharger every 2 miles in north Jersey

The Tesla autopilot will let in everyone and their mother ahead of you, Elon needs to add "NYC traffic mode" that keeps the gap tight in traffic below 15mph and auto honks at anyone trying to get in!

Get a MYP and also some 19" wheels and tires, sell the 21's that come with it. You won't look back
There are only 4 things I miss from my X6 (slightly higher in traffic, better blind spot warning, better wiper washer function and the excellent auto climate control, none of these are as good in the Tesla but these are mostly quibbles)
But those 4 things are far outgunned by the 4000 things that are better. Notably for your situation:
-electricity was an extra $47 last month, that's less than one fill up of premium in the X6

The Tesla autopilot will let in everyone and their mother ahead of you, Elon needs to add "NYC traffic mode" that keeps the gap tight in traffic below 15mph and auto honks at anyone trying to get in!
-Interesting that you find it quieter. I thought I read an article that the x5 and x7 are one of the quietest vehicles ever made unless you step up to the insulation found in Bentleys/Rolls. Its so quiet, thats why they've had to pipe i the artificial engine sound.
-I've been averaging ~14/15 mpg and so the $80+/week when only driving to the city 1x a week right now is a bit of a concern when i go 3x.
-Interesting you find the seats more comfortable. I think the x5 (at least on the 2020) are the most comfortable seats in a car I've ever been in. I actually don't love the seats of the model y but assume I'll get used to it. I'm tallish at 6 foot and I guess fairly wide and found that the bolsters on the model Y seats are oddly uncomfortable and dug into my thighs during the test drive. I also read there is no lumbar support option which is a bit odd. I actually like a seat that holds you in (I actually set my side bolsters on the x5 even in comfort mode in its sports setting mode that hugs you more).
-The supercharger point is actually true. Few weeks ago I was just picking up lunch at a Bergen county mall and could not find parking except for all the tesla superchargers spots (I've been told the opposite is true in CA).

Agreed on NYC Traffic mode. That would be fantastic.

I also read there is no lumbar support option which is a bit odd.
There has always been adjustable lumbar support the driver's seat of the Tesla Model Y. In 2021 Tesla removed the adjustable lumbar support for the front passenger seat claiming it was rarely used. This could also be due to the chip shortage. For potential Model Y owner's whose primary passenger has lower back issues this could be a deal breaker. Short of replacing the entire front passenger seat with one salvaged from another Model Y there is a thread that shows how to add the lumbar support to the passenger seat.

The benefits you cite can be achieved by many EV/PHEV with a lot smaller purchase price, a smaller parking footprint and a lot less anxiety over NYC parking.

With the exception of more power/speed. Which is just a ludicrous idea of a “benefit” in the Lincoln melee. Like I said previously, the last thing you want there is a lot of HP and a sensitive throttle.

Reactions: sjg98
-Interesting that you find it quieter. I thought I read an article that the x5 and x7 are one of the quietest vehicles ever made unless you step up to the insulation found in Bentleys/Rolls. Its so quiet, thats why they've had to pipe i the artificial engine sound.
-I've been averaging ~14/15 mpg and so the $80+/week when only driving to the city 1x a week right now is a bit of a concern when i go 3x.
-Interesting you find the seats more comfortable. I think the x5 (at least on the 2020) are the most comfortable seats in a car I've ever been in. I actually don't love the seats of the model y but assume I'll get used to it. I'm tallish at 6 foot and I guess fairly wide and found that the bolsters on the model Y seats are oddly uncomfortable and dug into my thighs during the test drive. I also read there is no lumbar support option which is a bit odd. I actually like a seat that holds you in (I actually set my side bolsters on the x5 even in comfort mode in its sports setting mode that hugs you more).
-The supercharger point is actually true. Few weeks ago I was just picking up lunch at a Bergen county mall and could not find parking except for all the tesla superchargers spots (I've been told the opposite is true in CA).

Agreed on NYC Traffic mode. That would be fantastic.
I find the Tesla more calming in traffic. I had the 2016 x6 so who knows about the noise, I didn't find it tomb-like as my 2013 was. My 2013 X6 had the BEST seats and the old BMW leather smell that is now gone.
Yes, the thigh side bolsters in the Tesla could be wider. I'm 6' 180# and it fits me like a glove but there is a touch of squeeze.

RE the price: here in PA my MYP is still worth more than when I bought it so ???
That was actually one of the factors in my financial decision. Pre-owned cars are nuts right now and when things normalize their values will fall off a cliff. IT made sense to go new and the Tesla's seem like a slam dunk value holding for the foreseeable future... supply and demand.

Who knows if it holds but my impression is EV residuals are pretty awful...except for some reason Tesla. So it makes me apprehensive to purchase other EV's. Meanwhile, iCE vehicle used values are insane but at some point will have to collapse. Before these supply chain issues, I had just assumed I would pick up a pre-owned Macan and call it a day....but looks like that won't be happening which led me down this path.

Yeah used vehicles are the worst values rn.

Some brand new vehicles are still around the same price as they were a year ago. I purchased a Telluride at MSRP which is what they were going for a year ago and the sticker price only went up by ~$500 depending on trim. Among EV and PHEV: Tesla Model 3 LR or Toyota RAV4 Prime off the top of my head. Meanwhile the Model Y is up a lot, isn’t it?