TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Suitable for Uber drivers?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by kirkbauer, Oct 11, 2016.

1. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

I was talking to an Uber driver who hasn't reserved a model 3 yet due to range concerns. He drives 300-600 miles per day. I think this is very doable with one or two supercharger stops, but would he get a nastygram for using local superchargers?

2. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

Why would he get a nastygram if he pays for the Supercharger subscription?
    I think you can get Uber black with a Tesla. Im sure it would be the same for a model 3

3. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

Elon has asked that people don't use superchargers for local charging. I have heard instances of people being contacted by Tesla for charging regularly close to home.

4. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

It sounds like the Model 3 may not have free unlimited supercharging. To avoid abuse by Uber and other livery drivers they may move towards a pay per use system, so as long as they are paying the can supercharge.

5. vinnie97

vinnie97 Member

Upgrading the battery to maximum size may very well keep supercharging "free" actually. That said, it could be construed as local abuse by using supercharging for business purposes when Model 3 arrives. They've got over a year to clarify the details.

6. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

As someone who does some uber/lyft driving with my Volt (part time) it's something that makes me skeptical of the new Bolt being a good rideshare vehicle- it probably won't charge fast enough and it's all too easy to exceed it's range in a busy day's driving. Maybe it would work well in Manhattan, but not so much in the Bay Area/LA with multiple longer runs.

A Tesla would be better, but of course then you have the issue that you are abusing the supercharging priviledge. Of course, with a Model 3 if you pay an extra fee for unlimited supercharging, well...........
    (I imagine they'll put something in the fine print with limits or not for commerical purposes).

If I keep my Volt it will be for just that- always having the gas tank as a back up but being able to drive electric around town is a great combination and gives you the adaptability you need. Besides, I'm not sure I want to pile on a whole bunch of ridesharing miles on a Model 3 anyway!

7. ibdb

ibdb 3 Car Garage and a 5 Car Life

Since we really don't know the range or the battery size for the 3, any answer is only a best guess, but my guess would be that it's not a good idea.

600 miles in a day would seem to be completely impractical. You're talking about 10 hours of driving at a 60mph average. If your car has around a 200 mile range, you're probably looking at 2 charging stops, maybe 3. Figure charging an empty battery to full to take an hour (smaller batteries don't supercharge as quickly as larger batteries), and you really shouldn't be planning on 100% charges every time you charge. 12 hour days don't sound like much fun.

Even at the low end of the mileage range, you're looking at close to 2 charging stops. The math just doesn't seem to add up, even before you get into issues of availability of charging (can't guarantee the supercharger is going to be ready and waiting to go at 100% just for you).

8. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

I'm sure that the Model ☰ design process was meant to provide a great car first, and foremost. Typically, a car with the footprint of a Compact and the interior Passenger and Cargo space of a Midsize would make a pretty great taxi. So, I believe the Model ☰ will make a more than decent Uber/Lyft vehicle as well.

9. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

More than likely a Model 3 would be far better for Uber black or select, which has lower volume but at higher compensation rates, so you aren't piling on the miles you do with UberX (the basic service). However, making a living at it wouldn't be easy.

There's a reason my two main pieces of advice for ridesharing is have a fuel efficient car and don't quit the day job. It's nice supplemental income and a way to write off some commute miles.

10. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

Considering MOST uber drivers only drive well under 300 miles per day (more typically 150-200mi), I think you'd be just fine.

If you happen to be one of those moron drivers that think it's ok to stay on shift driving for 12 hours, endangering the public, then you're probably going to be in a city where speed limits are under 40 mph to get that much business. Even 12 hours averaging 40 mph (with no stop lights, no picking up people, and no charging) you'd only be looking at 480 miles.

11. Trips

Trips Member

No it is not and here is why. Based on 450 miles a day, 6 days a week that is 140,000 miles a year. When you figure in $11,666 in gas (30mpg @ $2.50/gallon), and 14 oil changes it still would NOT make sense. They would be better off buying a used 2014 Prius for $12,000 as you would never make up the $25,000 different in price unless gas hits $7.50 and charging is free. The only other consideration would be if the Prius was shot after a year and the Model 3 made it to 400k+ miles with no repairs.

I drive one night every two months to keep my Uber/Lyft accounts active. The Model 3 would only qualify for an Uber Select car in some markets. It would be a regular Uber X in most. Unless you have a cheap, efficient car and/or want to drive bar hours it is not worth it to drive Uber/Lyft.

12. voyager

voyager Member

600 miles a day seems a lot, to begin with. Sherpashare suggests that most ride-share trips are nog loner than a few miles (national average 6.4 miles). Uber trips are becoming longer and faster, but are they more profitable? – SherpaShare Blog

13. voyager

voyager Member

14. Zapped

Zapped Model S - PURE EV

In Amsterdam nearly all the Taxis pulling up to the airport were Tesla MS. They must have some special charging arrangement with TESLA.
    I understand Uber drivers can turn of their services temporarily anytime, so taking time off to charge would be easy. City driving is the most efficient too.

• Like x 1