Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suitable rear camera for 2016.5 Model S 1061269-00-D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got A similar issue on my 2017 S 100D - Just ordered the F part - I think basically my lens/sealing is dying as water mists the camera and the car wash is no cam for a few days :rolleyes:
Can you please tell me where you ordered the -F camera from? I'm in the UK with the same issue (camera lens completely destroyed). Tesla just quoted me £482 for the -D camera. I can see the -F on AliExpress for around £132, but they won't deliver to the UK. I can also see it available on a couple of other websites, but I worried about getting a Chinese knock-off and wasting my money. Many thanks is advance.

Can you please tell me where you ordered the -F camera from? I'm in the UK with the same issue (camera lens completely destroyed). Tesla just quoted me £482 for the -D camera. I can see the -F on AliExpress for around £132, but they won't deliver to the UK. I can also see it available on a couple of other websites, but I worried about getting a Chinese knock-off and wasting my money. Many thanks is advance.

It was Ebay from the states - The link is here but they are out of stock so not that much use, though images might be? - I searched for the part number, but nothing much of use is coming up at the moment :(

Hi,
My camera lens recently got smashed, and I ordered a new camera from China. Unfortunately, after plugging it in, I only get a flashing grey and black screen.The original camera number is 1061269-00-C, and I bought 1006773-00-F AA.Any ideas, please?Note: My smashed camera was still "working," but with very poor image quality, as the lens was destroyed.
Sorry for the many questions, but I have one more for now :)))
My vehicle is a Model S 2017 75D, MCU 1, and AP 2.0.I really want to get dashcam functionality and am considering an MCU 2 upgrade. What do you think? With this upgrade, do they also change AP2 to HW3? I'm asking because Tesla support answers are very general and not specific.
Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,Gary

Hi Gary,

I'm not sure whats going on with the camera. When I replaced mine for a 100677300F it worked perfectly.
Have you checked and double checked the connections? What happens when you disconnect and try? do you still get the flashing grey / black sceen?
I do remember mine being tricky to connect one handed through the small handle hole. Perhaps it just needs pushing together more firmly.

As for the MCU 2 ugrade, go for it.
I had mine done as soon as I purchased the car, about 2 years ago now.
Yes, they do upgrade the AP2 hardware. Mine was upgraded to the Full Self Driving Computer (HW3 I believe).
There was also something like 'Sim extension kit' listed on the invoce too. I assume the position of the Sim card was changed and they had to fit it in somewhere.

Be warned though, you will loose the radio functionality, unless you pay an additional £400ish.

My vehicle is a Model S 2017 75D, MCU 1, and AP 2.0.I really want to get dashcam functionality and am considering an MCU 2 upgrade. What do you think? With this upgrade, do they also change AP2 to HW3? I'm asking because Tesla support answers are very general and not specific.
Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

From what i understand, replacing MCU1 with MCU2 is about £1800 in the UK. They replace BOTH screens, the dash and the central one. It's a bit faster, Netflix and games and a few nice touches. I had a 2020 M3 loaner a little while back and it was snazzy, but not game changing.

To get the HW2/HW2.5 to HW3 you need to have FSD at which point in the MUC2 upgrade they change the cameras and AP HW - However the rear camera isn't included in that.

The Tesla Dashcam using the existing cameras is a COOL thing for sure, but it also chomps range as it keeps ALL the hardware and computers running, but it was effectively an add on hack and the car wasn't designed to do it, hence the high overheads of the system. Great for say shopping and carparks, but practically useless for leaving a car at the airport whilst going on holiday.

I had a windscreen mount dashcam in my old car and just added that, was £100 a few years back, not perfect but worth having. In THERORY the Telsa should be amazing for a 3rd party hardwired dashcam install as the BIG battery should keep things going for weeks, given the low power draw of 3rd party units. If you JUST want dashcams then, this way is cheaper and better.

I installed a Thinkware Q1000 front and rear dash cam package on my 2015 MS. That thing is awesome! If you have a data plan, you can connect it to their Thinkware Connected software and monitor your car from anywhere. It needs a wifi hotspot to do so though. I have not tried to use the wifi in the car yet because all that goes to sleep when you exit the car. But the parking mode works really well with those Thinkware cameras and they draw very little energy.