TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sumitomo Tires - Any good?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by SabrToothSqrl, Sep 6, 2017.

1. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

So... I'm tired of destroying the OEM goodyear tires every 7k on the back end...

Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 for 2013 Tesla Model S 85

Are these any good? they have a warranty for 45k miles, and are cheaper, with a higher tread wear number...

Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 (W-Speed Rated) for 2013 Tesla Model S 85

I've never heard of them, but the tread looks good, descent reviews..

thanks.

I tried the P7s a while back, and didn't like they way they let go. Basically I can slide the car with the goodyears, and it's very predictable/controlled. The P7s would grip, grip, then BOOM let go, it wasn't a progressive loss of traction like the good years gave me.

so. as of of now, I'm riding on bald azz rear tires because I don't bother to rotate, so I only have to replace 2 at a time...

but, I want some more life. I'm tired of changing tires more than charging! the car drives strait. I can eek out 300 wH/mile if I... try... so I'm pretty sure it's just my need for speed killing these things.

• Like x 1
  2. SabrToothSqrl

#2 SabrToothSqrl, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  3. aus

aus Member

I'm seeing the same price. Maybe Amazon increased their price?
    I'd go with Hankook V12evo2 over those tires.

4. KidDoc

KidDoc Supporting Member

I recently wore out my Pirelli Cinterato p7's and replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + and I am very happy. The Pirelli were smooth and quiet but the traction was not good and this is with a S85 not even the P models. The AS3+ tires are MUCH stickier I am very happy.

The best part of the Pirelli's is they didn't last near the warranty so I received a $500 discount when I traded them back in. New tires for $600 installed is amazing.

5. SabrToothSqrl

I thought the warranty meant you had to buy the same type again..?

6. KidDoc

KidDoc Supporting Member

Nope. Just if they don't last as long as warrantied you get a prorated refund. With the Pirelli's they had a 60,000 warranty and lasted 35,000 so I received about 40% of my money back. Not all tires have mileage promises.