Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summer is Coming...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
Palmdale, CA
20180427_143257.jpg

I guess the 3 doesn't have cabin overheat protection (or was that something that was there, but got removed?)

Outside temps in the mid-80s so nothing crazy yet. I do have 3M Crystalline 70 all the way around except my windshield.

I hope we get overheat protection - I was really spoiled by that on my S. I don't have good cell service at work, so turning on climate with the app was always dicey. But 105 max temp was much more manageable than 120 or higher with a black interior and a glass roof.

I would spring for the Model 3 roof sunshade, but it looks like they are out of stock. Ah well.

Wow I would hope that's a feature they would add to the Model 3 soon. We've used it in our Model S since last year when it became available (no kids or pets but thinking electronics inside the car...did have the yellow border on our center screen). In fact with our temps in the 70-80s already I've used it a few times this year and we're no where as hot as some of you guys are.

Do we even know this feature will be added? It's not like you can even open a sunroof a crack to let the hot air escape.

So, how is the A/C performance so far? I know our Model S is just "average", but preconditioning helps to compensate...not just because it cools the car, BUT because the air is blowing on the SEATS and cools them down before you sit in them and then trap that heat in them.

So, how is the A/C performance so far? I know our Model S is just "average", but preconditioning helps to compensate...not just because it cools the car, BUT because the air is blowing on the SEATS and cools them down before you sit in them and then trap that heat in them.

Average to a little worse than my S. If I am able to connect and precondition the car, it is pretty tolerable. Starting from a hot car is tougher. The way the vents work, you can’t aim one at your head and one at your body, so I end up adjusting them a lot as one area gets hotter from the sun than the other. It eventually takes up the heat load and cools the whole car down, but that takes a while.

My S actually seemed better in this regard, I think mostly because of the overheat protection and better vent aiming ability. So I was always starting with a partially preconditioned car.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Average to a little worse than my S. If I am able to connect and precondition the car, it is pretty tolerable. Starting from a hot car is tougher. The way the vents work, you can’t aim one at your head and one at your body, so I end up adjusting them a lot as one area gets hotter from the sun than the other. It eventually takes up the heat load and cools the whole car down, but that takes a while.

My S actually seemed better in this regard, I think mostly because of the overheat protection and better vent aiming ability. So I was always starting with a partially preconditioned car.

Yeah, that whole vent aiming thing had me worried...and it's only April. The inabilty to split the direction of airflow struck me as an obvious step backward. Will be interesting to see what folks start to reportvas as Summer arrives...

Yeah, that whole vent aiming thing had me worried...and it's only April. The inabilty to split the direction of airflow struck me as an obvious step backward. Will be interesting to see what folks start to reportvas as Summer arrives...

I was always fascinated by the folks who said they “never” adjusted the vents in prior cars, so why would the touch screen-centric vents be a problem? I guess they live in more temperate areas than us (as a former Grapevine resident myself).

Confused. You can split the vent direction. Remember seeing it demo'd at our Telsa store when we went to see the car on display. They should include a video of that on the Telsa site along with the other videos for Model 3, it's easier to understand watching someone do it. Did find this video on Youtube if it helps someone:

Confused. You can split the vent direction. Remember seeing it demo'd at our Telsa store when we went to see the car on display. They should include a video of that on the Telsa site along with the other videos for Model 3, it's easier to understand watching someone do it. Did find this video on Youtube if it helps someone:

You can split left to right, but not up and down. So if I want to aim one vent at my face, and one at my chest/lap, I can’t do that. I get to pick head or body, not both. So I end up feeling hotter for longer.

I have no idea if the vents are mechanized to be able to split up and down at all, or if they will be able add that via software later.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset