Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summer is officially over

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dark cloud

Apr 14, 2018
BC
The first dashes of low efficiency. Geez , it’s still September; how depressing.
B9441CCB-E744-4504-917F-4B6003B2DC6A.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Petrocelli
For those of us who live in the North but havent purched.......yet........ Can you please explain this ? And, why wouldn't you drive it in the Winter ?
In summer I get about 250 wh/mile. (In Chicago) In the winter it can be 365 or even 400. The car uses a lot of power to heat the car. Some other factors like higher air density, but mostly heat. Not a disaster, but worthy of note. Plus side is that you can heat it up in the garage before getting in.

Which means range gets impacted significantly in cold regions. Probably not a big deal for daily commutes if you can charge at night, but is a consideration for longer trips, especially if you don't have the long range battery. Still way more energy efficient than equivalent ICE car, even a Prius. The other thing with those dotted lines - it means regen is limited. So you have to use your friction brakes more. Something to watch for after you've been used to the car slowing when you lift your foot off the accelerator - it won't when you see those dashes, until the battery warms up enough to accept the charge back from the motors.

has been happening here in NEK for more than a week now. I go to work at 0630, and see more dotted lines than what is seen in your picture.
Qn: Do you winterize your car [ garage / not drive] or do you run it all year round ?

Yes, this is a 12 month vehicle. It is a beast in the snow, it just hurts a lot more when it gets pegged with rocks.

In summer I get about 250 wh/mile. (In Chicago) In the winter it can be 365 or even 400. The car uses a lot of power to heat the car. Some other factors like higher air density, but mostly heat. Not a disaster, but worthy of note. Plus side is that you can heat it up in the garage before getting in.

I believe I've read this in other posts, but just to confirm.

It's takes a LOT more energy to heat then to cool, correct ?

Yes, the reason is not so much the heating of the cabin, which can be as high as 6 kW, but more so with heating the battery to normal operation, which typically for me after about 10 km of travel removes the dashed limited regeneration lines. Of course this can happen twice every day commuting to work and back. The shorter the commute the worse the efficiency.