TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Summer Performance Tires vs All Seasons in warmish weather

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by happyluckbox, Dec 7, 2019.

1. happyluckbox

happyluckbox Member

What kind of performance difference in warm temperatures would I notice jumping from the stock Michelin ps4s on 20inch wheels to my winter setup which will be lighter 18inch wheels wrapped with continental dws06?

I live in the bay area, but need snow capability for the occasional trip to the mountains. So the majority of the time will be in 60-70 degree weather. I'm curious if I will notice a huge loss in braking distance, and if so, in how many feet? Will it be substantial, like 50% greater braking distance? Also, what differences in max cornering force in terms of G? I figure I will gain about 1/10th a second in 0-60 acceleration, since I lose alot of unsprung rotational mass.

If anybody has any information on this, that would be awesome.

2. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Efficiency Obsessed Member

The braking distance change will be substantial. But probably not 50% longer.

Obviously all tires are different so this is just a datapoint for the MXM4 - about 20% longer stopping distance. I think it works out to them pulling about 0.2g less, though may not translate directly to cornering ability.

POLL: What will my 60-0 stopping distance be with Pilot Sport 4S 265/40R18s be?

I doubt you‘ll see 0.1 sec just from the wheel weight change, but overall you might see nearly that. Kind of a waste of winter rubber to use it that way though. The diameter on 18” wheels with standard tire size 235/45 is slightly less than the 20” wheels by about 0.5% so that helps the 0-60 (by nearly 0.5%) as well. So those two factors combined do typically result in measurably better times with 18” wheels.

I have CrossClimates on my car currently and it definitely is not as surefooted, but it still handles quite well. They really are quite loud under hard acceleration though - they sound sort of like a deck of cards being thumbed through. Overall the handling is decent, though I deliberately try not to push the car too hard when I have them on.

3. happyluckbox

happyluckbox Member

Thanks for info! I'm curious, are you running a P3D as well? I may wrap my winter rims with the crossclimate+

Do you find they break traction on hard launches?

I recall somebody mentioning that even the dws06 breaks traction on launches as well. If that's the case maybe the as3+ wont?

4. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Efficiency Obsessed Member

Assuming a quality dry surface in a straight line, none of these tires will break traction. It is getting close with the recent power increase, but they won’t. The car simply does not produce enough torque (when shared equally between the rear wheels) to break them free.

Yes, I have a P3D.

5. OUengineer

OUengineer Member

Biggest difference will be how they feel. The DWS are a tad bit squishier than the comparable Michelin/Pirelli UHP AS tires.

If you often take corners on the street at the limit of your tire grip (fast enough to feel it slide a bit occasionally), then you will notice the small difference in cornering capability. I can't imagine you will be able to tell a difference in braking.

But, again, they will feel quite a bit different. It's possible they won't be quite as "confidence inspiring" under hard braking/cornering, even though they still have plenty of grip that you never explore.

Compared to a winter tire though, these will be incredibly better, and will have great grip in very cold weather along with fantastic traction in most snowy conditions (I'm a huge fan of just running UHP AS tires year round)