Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summer road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One way to avoid Baltimore/DC traffic is to go via the Chesapeake Bay and hit Salisbury, MD SC and Norfolk, VA SC. it will add a bit of time to your travel, yes, but not nearly as much as getting stuck in Baltimore/DC gridlock. We hit Rocky Mount, NC SC following Norfolk although we did consider a further detail to Plymouth, NC but decided to just get back on our route.

We set out from NYC and our ultimate destination was Naples, FL

I recommend the Chesapeake detour wholeheartedly.

If you stop at the Savannah charger, I'd recommend reading the directions listed on PlugShare. It's not easy to find the first time using just the map in the car.

I just got back from a round trip from Jupiter, FL to Lancaster, PA and back. Two tricks I learned about Savanna:
1. You want to take the left hand "Short Term" parking garage exit when you get to the terminal. Then, drive straight through the first garage, across the street between the 2 garages, and the SC is right inside the second garage on your left.
2. On the trip north, I paid $1 for my 40 minute charge, but on the return trip, when I went to pay the attendant, he asked "Did you charge?" Of course, I said "yes", and he said that Teslas can stay up to 3 hours for free, just put your name and phone number on the back of the parking stub. Now I know.
And yes, the worst part of the trip was the beltways around DC and Baltimore. The SC around the north side of the DC beltway only has 2 Supercharger connections, the rest are Level 2, and are hard to find in the parking garage of a mall. By the time I realized that the space I had backed into was L2, another Tesla had pulled into the last SC spot, so I had to wait 45 minutes to charge. Fortunately, the rep at the Tesla store in the mall said they are working on another SC site in Laurel MD, which will hopefully be much more convenient.
BTW, Florida has lots of hand wash car washes, so you probably won't have trouble getting your Model S cleaned up when you get to Orlando. I treated Mr T to the Ultimate Wash when I got home.

It seems like over the years, lots of Model S owners have done road trips and I am seeing a lot of great info reading through these. This will be great info for new Model X owners as well as future Model 3 owners. I have requested @doug to let me create a road trip subcategory so we can organize this great information by regions and have a place for everyone to share and learn. I know he is extremely busy with TMC Connect and other stuff. But till then, Model S owners - please continue to share your road trip plans as well as stories and pics.And remember to tag your posts with "Road Trip".