TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Summer service campaign

Discussion in 'Model S' started by aviators99, Mar 24, 2013.

1. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

I was going to wait to post something about this until I could talk to my local service manager, but someone posted about it on the TM board, so I figured I would post here. I got a call yesterday (Saturday) from my service center. The woman told me they need to make some adjustments to my car "for the summer, so that it can perform better." I could bring it in, or they would send someone to me, and they wanted to do it on April 3 or April 4. I asked her what they were going to do and she said "adjust the AC VC". That didn't make any sense to me so I asked her to repeat it, and she said "AC VC" 3 times. I asked her if they were calling everybody about this and she replied yes. I called some of my local friends and nobody else had gotten the call, so I was confused. The person who posted to the TM board is also in Florida.

I'll follow-up tomorrow after I speak with an actual service adviser.

2. TurboFroggy

TurboFroggy Member

Maybe it means the Air Conditioning Variable Controller, i.e. the variable frequency drive for the AC motor that turns that AC compressor. That is my guess. Most EVs have an electrically driven AC compressor that is driven from an AC (alternating current) 3 phase motor that is driven by a VFD (variable frequency drive) inverter from the traction pack (400 Volts).

3. aviators99

Could be! Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow. If they are looking at our data here in Florida, it makes sense that they are in a rush:

Screenshot_2013-03-23-15-51-33.png

4. aviators99

Service manager won't be in until later, but I got the same woman who called me on Saturday. This time she said DC-DC Converter. It was not my hearing or the connection yesterday; she definitely said AC-VC the other day. I should know more later.

5. steve841

steve841 Active Member

That's because he just picked up my car! LOL

6. fizzazle

fizzazle Member

What did HE say?

7. steve841

steve841 Active Member

We're all local .... Alberto is the SM at our local SC. Kind of an inside joke I guess.

8. aviators99

Should have asked him! I guess I can understand you had other things on your mind. :-O

9. aviators99

Alberto confirmed that it's the DC to DC converter. Preventative maintenance for hot weather.

10. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Thanks ...gonna drop him a text in the morning!

11. bob_p

bob_p Member

We've had a couple of warm days here already - and I've had several times when the AC blower would cycle from full blast to complete stop. When I mentioned that to the local Service Center, the response was that it might be a voltage problem. Not sure if this is related to this service call...

12. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Got my ride back today for the coolant leak and they also did "Update DC to DC Bootloader per bulletin ...."

So whatever problem is solves or prevents ....its done.