Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summer Tires Email from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received an interesting email from Tesla about tires ... In short, it said all Model X P90D will be equipped with Summer tires. Any questions? Email them before 3/28 ... Well, since there is a deadline to email them, it sounds like there is an alternatives to that?? Or, it is just another take it or leave it Tesla email. :confused:

I just got the email. And was just chatting with my DS before I saw it come in and would have asked him about it had I seen it in time. I'm going to email the build my X address in the email and cc my DS on it. I ordered with 20" wheels with plans of getting all-season tires and will probably do 22" with summer/performance tires as an aftermarket option if I choose to. But haven't decided for sure. If the 20's come with summer tires, then so be it. I understand the performance aspect and desire for Tesla to go this route, but for some of us it's not the ideal solution. Maybe I just run the summer tires until I wear them out and chain up in the snow...

I would love to hear any follow-up to this from anyone who got that email.

My X was indeed delivered with summer tires (Michelin Latitude Sport 3), which are very nice performance tires but will not be good in the Chicago winter. In the last few days before delivery (and having read about the high likelihood of the car coming with summer tires) I bugged my DS about this, asking for options, but all he could say was some version of "it is what it is".

If they are now offering people the option of getting the car with all-season tires, I'd probably go back to Tesla and see if they will somehow honor that arrangement retroactively. After all, I've driven the car less than 20 miles in the 4 days I've had it, so the LS3's are still brand new.

Otherwise, I guess the only option for those of us who have already taken delivery with summer tires (and who live in geographies with bad winter weather) will be to invest $5,500 in this: Tesla — 20" Helix Wheel and Winter Tire Package

If it's anything like a Model S you'll wear out those Michelins long before winter comes. Then just replace with the tires of your preference.

That being said, proper snow tires will allow you to get the most out of the AWD.

I noticed this issue during the one week "reconfigure for free" window between ordering and confirming. I escalated the issue to Tesla inside sales at that time, indicating that I didn't want summer times on my P90D. I wanted all season radials. I don't have much patience with changing tires with the season, and I don't care to store a spare set of "wrong season" tires.

I ordered a P90D in order to cut the delivery delay, not because I intend to race the vehicle. The answer came back that P90D comes with summer tires, all season radials are not an option. Not my preferred answer, but a clear answer. The cost of buying a set of all season radials for the vehicle is in the noise, given the cost of the vehicle. My main dislike is an otherwise unnecessary trip to a tire shop.

Just received an interesting email from Tesla about tires ... In short, it said all Model X P90D will be equipped with Summer tires. Any questions? Email them before 3/28 ... Well, since there is a deadline to email them, it sounds like there is an alternatives to that?? Or, it is just another take it or leave it Tesla email. :confused:

I took delivery last Friday of my P90D with 20 inch rims and asked a month ago for my DES to verify that my car would come with all-season tires. Of course it came with summer performance tires. The delivery folks dealt with it very reasonably, as I ordered the car with all-season tires. They put the change on my due bill. I made an appointment with my local service center and will have the tires changed out to the Conti all-season set in a week at no charge. My DES at the factory told me he hadn't been notified by Tesla prior to my delivery and fully expected my car to come with all season tires. As is often the way with Tesla, poor communication, but they make it right in the end.

this is obviously just another attempt at Tesla trying to make sure they that can make some extra dollars off their customers. i bet a number cruncher realized that if they deliver summer tires as standard, than probably half of all sales will have people coming back to the service center saying 'WTF get these off my car they suck in snow and ice', and ending up paying Tesla overpriced dollars for winter or all season tires. just more $$$ in Tesla's pocket.

this is obviously just another attempt at Tesla trying to make sure they that can make some extra dollars off their customers. i bet a number cruncher realized that if they deliver summer tires as standard, than probably half of all sales will have people coming back to the service center saying 'WTF get these off my car they suck in snow and ice', and ending up paying Tesla overpriced dollars for winter or all season tires. just more $$$ in Tesla's pocket.
Why wouldn't you just go to a tire store to get winter tires?

I actually don't think they are trying to gouge anyone. The explanation I received was that the performance model stats are achieved with performance tires. They are trying to ensure that the car performs as promised when delivered. For me, reasonable AWD snow performance was a higher priority than a 0-60 time, so I requested the all-season tires be fitted and Tesla is honoring that request.

Waiting to hear back from my DS on this one. I had inquired with him over a month back in regards to the all-season tires when some reports of people taking delivery with 20 inch wheels with summer tires showed up. He had no info then. Said everything he had still showed all-season tires.

Seems like they could just simply inquire with each order and see which tires the customer prefers. And add the tire choice in the Design Studio for new orders. Even put a disclaimer on the all-season choice to inform people that optimum performance numbers may not be achieved without the summer tires.

Reactions: Xponential

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-24 at 3.47.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-24 at 3.47.14 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 96
I took delivery last Friday of my P90D with 20 inch rims and asked a month ago for my DES to verify that my car would come with all-season tires. Of course it came with summer performance tires. The delivery folks dealt with it very reasonably, as I ordered the car with all-season tires. They put the change on my due bill. I made an appointment with my local service center and will have the tires changed out to the Conti all-season set in a week at no charge. My DES at the factory told me he hadn't been notified by Tesla prior to my delivery and fully expected my car to come with all season tires. As is often the way with Tesla, poor communication, but they make it right in the end.

I can report basically the same experience as millertime, having confirmed via prior email from my DES that my X would come with all-season tires on 20 inch rims to go along with my subzero weather package. When I picked it up at the factory on Tuesday 3/22, the delivery folks put the swap-out change at no charge on my due bill. I brought my DES' email with me to show them, since I noticed when I accompanied my friend and his family picking up their X last Sunday, it had the Michelin Latitude Sport 3s summer tires on it. I'm going to wait until Q1 is over before making an appt. to bring it in to switch tires, my tiny contribution to TSLA's efforts to maximize their Q1 deliveries.

I think P90D buyers should have the option of getting all-season tires. If they do, then a simple disclaimer would be all that's needed to the effect: "I understand I will not experience the stated 0-60 mph performance time if I select all-season tires".

I guess the logical question then becomes: what are the P90D and P90DL 0-60 times with all-seasons?

PS. My 4+ year wait was totally worth it. I got up at 5 am to configure various settings the morning after I picked it up. I keep trying to find excuses to drive it, and autopilot works great. My Mercedes has been kicked out of the garage, and is now just waiting for its lease to expire. I also tried "summon mode" out of my garage on Friday using the app. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP
My priorities are "Quiet Ride" and "Range Efficiency". I guess the Summer tire are better to answer both priorities right ?

Actually - no. The Michelin's may or may not give better range, but they are definitely noisy. I have a very early production P90D (delivered 2/16) and it showed up with the Michelins. I found the tire noise objectionable at highway speeds. They would not swap them for the Continentals, so I came up with a different solution. Since my car is leased, and the Michelins would not have lasted until the end of the lease, and I would have had to buy new tires down the road anyway, I bought a set of the "Conti-Silent" Continentals that have the foam insert and my SC agreed to mount them for me. Toward the end of the lease, when the Conti's wear out, I'll put the Michelin's back on when I turn the car in. I bought the Conti's from TireRack and they shipped them to the SC the next day. I haven't had the Conti's on the highway yet, but they seem to be significantly quieter than the Michelins.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Xponential and GSP