Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summer Wheel/Tire decision time. Stick with Ubers or go aftermarket 19/20? Help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phantasms

Mr Self Destruct
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2019
White Mountains, NH
Edit: I went ahead and bought 245 PS4S for the Ubers.

Hi all,

When I picked up my 2021 P3 in the Fall I put Winter tires on the Ubers with every expectation that over the Winter I'd find a nice set of wheels in the for sale section and pick them up for the Summer. Every week or so I'd check out the parts sale section and, other than some items in CA that refused to be shipped, nothing came about. Since having the car I've really taken a liking to the Ubers. I intended them not to be my Summer wheels as they're heavy and, while 20s look nice, we all know that 19s are usually the sweet spot. If someone doesn't change my mind I'm just going to order PS4S in 245/35ZR20 and be done with it. I had MPP Sport coil-overs installed today which lowered the car and it looks great.

It seems the Zero G essentially can not be found in 34ET and I don't want to mess with spacers..etc. And also, as good as they look it seems silly to lay out the cash for another big heavy set of wheels that are even less aerodynamic.

Can anyone convince me that sticking with the Ubers is a foolish decision? Anyone have any suggestions for aftermarket wheel designs that fit the design of the car? Is going with a 19" staggered setup the best way for driving enjoyment and I'd be silly not to? It seems that taking weight out the of wheels doesn't, for some crazy reason, make these cars quicker but does it improve handling feeling that much?

Thank you for reading this word vomit from a confused and tired mind.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Best,
Gene

Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 10.13.57 PM.png

Last edited:
Te entire original reason for large wheels with thin tires was big wheels allow big brake rotors, and thin tires allow for keeping rotational mass down. We came to associate that look with value, so we all grew up wanting large diameter wheels.

However, in this day and age, advances in metallurgy and chemistry mean you can go with 18s that perform well across the board, or 20s that look well and perform across the board @. The 20s might cost a bit more for the same performance.

But, bottom line, get what makes you happy. If you are looking back at your car when you walk into the grocery store, you are doing it right.

Reactions: phantasms
Te entire original reason for large wheels with thin tires was big wheels allow big brake rotors, and thin tires allow for keeping rotational mass down. We came to associate that look with value, so we all grew up wanting large diameter wheels.

However, in this day and age, advances in metallurgy and chemistry mean you can go with 18s that perform well across the board, or 20s that look well and perform across the board. The 20s might cost a bit more for the same performance.

But, bottom line, get what makes you happy. If you are looking back at your car when you walk into the grocery store, you are doing it right

Reactions: phantasms