TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Summer windshield fluid in the winter?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by clydeiii, Jan 8, 2019.

1. clydeiii

clydeiii Member

Hi all, I'm not really into cars, and only really purchased a M3 for the cool tech, no-gas, and self-driving features. Prior to this car, I just let Jiffylube and my repair shop handle literally everything related to the car.

So I've owned my M3 since August and last month it started to tell me the windshield fluid was getting low. Again, something that Jiffylube would normally take care of. So I just went on amazon and ordered the first thing that popped up, Prestone AS657 Bug Wash Windshield Washer Fluid:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U468SV8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Only after I put it into my vehicle did it dawn on me that it was winter and maybe I should be putting in antifreeze or de-icing liquid or something? Again, I know nothing about cars. DC isn't regularly getting below freezing quite yet, but the winter months do get there. Something like this, Prestone AS250 De-Icer Windshield Washer Fluid? Or Ravenol Coolant Antifreeze Premix?

https://www.amazon.com/Prestone-AS250-6PK-Icer-Windshield-Washer/dp/B001E1RVKQ?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_2598899011&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/RAVENOL-J4D2000-1-Coolant-Antifreeze-Premix/dp/B017UMXXNG/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1546972677&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=antifreeze&psc=1

Sorry for the super ignorant questions... Like I just don't want frozen bug wash fluid cracking something...

2. outdoors

Looking at the MSDS of the Prestone Bug wash you can find this. Freezing point maybe not the best. Might consider running some out and
    putting some blue stuff in there.

MSDS.PNG

3. clydeiii

clydeiii Member

Ok so what happens if it does freeze?

If I put half green half blue in, is that good enough?

4. outdoors

What to do if your windshield Washer Fluid is Frozen | BlueDevil Products Found this on the internet. As always since it is on internet it must be true.:D Safe would be blow it all out and replace. 50/50 mix might bring it to safe zone till you run through it. Your call on the decision.

If your windshield washer fluid is frozen, or has frozen over the winter, it is important to check the integrity of your windshield washing system to make sure it is operating properly. Just like a full water bottle to freeze can rupture the water bottle, allowing your windshield washing system to freeze can rupture the fluid reservoir, damage the pump, split the lines or damage the nozzles. These damaged components can prevent your system from working properly and can end up causing other problems as well

5. clydeiii

clydeiii Member

Thanks for the advice! Really appreciate it.

6. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

• Like x 1
  7. clydeiii

clydeiii Member

Whoopsie poodle.

Is there a brand you recommend? Again, I am horribly ignorant.

8. C141medic

C141medic Active Member

9. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

• Helpful x 1
  10. outdoors

Really its the % of methanol. Brand is really not relevant. However the manual does mention the additives as a no no. ( I still use them)

To manage warmer winters, +20°F (-7°C) the mixture may have as little as 7% methanol, while approximately 20-25% methanol is typically added to keep the fluid in liquid form at 0°F (-18°C). Other concentrations are available to deal with harsher environments, and for a fluid that still de-ices at -25F (-32°C) a 38% solution is needed, while a 62% solution will keep the ice off of a windshield even at -50°F (-45°C).

11. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Also, if using concentrate, dilute with distilled water especially if your tap water has a lot of minerals.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. clydeiii

clydeiii Member

Great, I have about 3/4ths of a gallon of Prestone bug juice in there.

Real talk for a second: what if I just toss in some really old vodka I have? If so, how much?

13. clydeiii

clydeiii Member

Found this handy guideline:
    1 liter Anti-Frost (Pure) = -76 F (-60 C)
    1 liter Anti-Frost + 1 liter water = 2 liters (.50 gallons): -6 F (-21 C)
    1 liter Anti-Frost + 2 liters water = 3 liters (.80 gallons): 14 F (-10 C)
    1 liter Anti-Frost + 3 liters water = 4 liters (1 gallon): 20 F (-7 C)

So if I used 3/4th gallon of the bug juice, it sounds like I just add a 1/4th of a gallon of antifreeze and I'll fine for DC..?

14. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

haha, that would theoretically work. Now just don't get pulled over shortly after cleaning your windshield.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  15. whatthe2

whatthe2 Active Member

If using AP, would the car then get a DUI instead of the driver? ;)

• Funny x 1
  16. clydeiii

clydeiii Member

In the thrilling conclusion to this thread, I went ahead and purchased this from Autozone last night and added most of the bottle to the tank:
    https://www.amazon.com/Prestone-AS240-Windshield-Booster-Additive/dp/B0044FV9L6

One question I have from my minimal understanding of chemistry, if alcohol floats, why wouldn't this simply float to the top of the tank and the rest of the liquid in the tank freeze?

17. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Alcohol is water soluble.

18. clydeiii

clydeiii Member

I see! So because the bug juice is mostly just water, the alcohol gets absorbed into the water...

19. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Exactly! :cool:

20. CarterStC

CarterStC Member

Isopropyl alcoholic is cheap at Costco.