Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

summon and auto close garage door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my garage is small but my driveway is big. so what I would like is to summon reverse the car out of the garage when I'm leaving so there's more room to get in the car from the driveway. however i still like to physically exit through my garage since all of my shoes and jackets are there.

the problem right now is that summon mode seems to auto close the garage door after it's backed out to the driveway, which means that I have to open the garage door again so I can walk out to the car.

is there a way to tell summon *not* to auto close the garage door? of course I would still need it to auto open the garage door before it backs out.

my garage is small but my driveway is big. so what I would like is to summon reverse the car out of the garage when I'm leaving so there's more room to get in the car from the driveway. however i still like to physically exit through my garage since all of my shoes and jackets are there.

the problem right now is that summon mode seems to auto close the garage door after it's backed out to the driveway, which means that I have to open the garage door again so I can walk out to the car.

is there a way to tell summon *not* to auto close the garage door? of course I would still need it to auto open the garage door before it backs out.

Push the homelink tab at the top of the screen and uncheck auto close

So if the car does not know if the garage door is open and closed, what good is it?
I don't think that's a problem with the car. It's the homeLink interface that's a toggle action type without a query-state implementation. I could be wrong though. Now that I have a myQ internet gateway on the liftmaster 8500 opener, I would expect the car to have smart integration and ability to talk to the gateway from anywhere just like my phone app does. I doubt whether such an integration exists though. MyQ is a pretty walled up platform and essentially useless beyond their own app. I saw this because I don't see Amazon Echo and/or IFTTT recipes for myQ.

I think the sensor will tell the car if the garage is open or closed. When needed, it will issue homelink command if it senses opposite of what it needs. From my experience, Summon will not issue Homelink command if it fails in the middle for any reason, preventing the door to close on itself.

I should have taken a video but then I was in the middle of a heart attack when this happened :D
I think the sensor will tell the car if the garage is open or closed. When needed, it will issue homelink command if it senses opposite of what it needs. From my experience, Summon will not issue Homelink command if it fails in the middle for any reason, preventing the door to close on itself.

What are the recommended settings for summon. Yesterday my X parked itself halfway in-out of the garage and closed the door on itself, yikes!! No damage but it caused me a heartache.

Same thing happened to me except I had Homelink disabled. When I first got the car, I had Summon to auto-open and close the garage door but it was a nuisance since I was standing outside the house to monitor Summon as I did not trust it. And I was "locked" out every time Summon is done, so I decided to just disable it. And lucky me or it would have given me a heart attack to see the door coming down at the car when it was half-in only.

Minor MI for me too yesterday. I have garage door auto open and close. I was reversing in myself driving and I see the garage door closing when I was not fully in. I did not know what to rapidly do. I honked the horn out of panic....LOL. I must have been continuing in my reverse, as I think my front wheels triggered the light path to disconnect and the garage reversed paths back up. What a panic for me, the door was about a foot off the middle of my hood and closing far too fast for me. So what happened? Was I driving too slow for the intended auto close?

• Funny
Reactions: ssq
Minor MI for me too yesterday. I have garage door auto open and close. I was reversing in myself driving and I see the garage door closing when I was not fully in. I did not know what to rapidly do. I honked the horn out of panic....LOL. I must have been continuing in my reverse, as I think my front wheels triggered the light path to disconnect and the garage reversed paths back up. What a panic for me, the door was about a foot off the middle of my hood and closing far too fast for me. So what happened? Was I driving too slow for the intended auto close?
LOL on the honk !!
Very likely the GPS accuracy was mucked up for some time, causing premature closure!

I don't think that's a problem with the car. It's the homeLink interface that's a toggle action type without a query-state implementation. I could be wrong though. Now that I have a myQ internet gateway on the liftmaster 8500 opener, I would expect the car to have smart integration and ability to talk to the gateway from anywhere just like my phone app does. I doubt whether such an integration exists though. MyQ is a pretty walled up platform and essentially useless beyond their own app. I saw this because I don't see Amazon Echo and/or IFTTT recipes for myQ.
While there's no echo/ifttt recipe, there are people who managed to use the api its app uses. I know because there's a homebridge plugin for it and I use it with Siri to open/close and to check the open/close status by asking Siri.

• Informative
Reactions: ssq