Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon and garage level

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Summon does not completely work in my garage because of the elevation difference. There is a 1.4" lip from the driveway to the garage floor (up). When summon hits this going forward it sometimes stops when the front wheels hit the lip. It never clears the back wheels. I had considered building a ramp or something to get the car into the garage with summon, but this is intentionally designed this way. The garage door closes on the 'driveway side' of the lip creating a seal and would need to be level from side to side. Any ramp would leave a gap under the door. Summon needs a touch more 'acceleration' to get over the lip.

Anyone else experiencing this? Where do I write to tell Tesla?

John

I believe the manual says anything over 1" is a no-go. So, not sure what the result of complaining about it... they don't want it running over things that are 'too high' in the first place. And, I agree, lots/most garages have that sort (at least 1") of a lip, or a slight incline (which is also a no-no...

Any chance you can grind a bevel to aid going over the bump?
Try a 45 degree cut at 1/2", easily done with an angle grinder and diamond disc. Concrete shapes like wood with the right tools.

Thanks but... I don't have an angle grinder or diamond disc. And with "summon" just able to move forward and back and not drive to me, it's not worth the effort. And when backing out of the garage, it drives over the grass on the side. It's a nice trick, but not fully developed enough.

I appreciate the reply though.

I had a lip on my garage which wasn't quite as high as your but would frequently cause summon to abort, especially with the rear wheels. I noticed that the times it failed, the car was positioned such that it pulled completely straight into the garage. This caused both rear wheels to have to go over the lip simultaneously, requiring more torque. However, when the car wasn't quite straight, summon would succeed because one wheel would clear the lip at a time.

I'm not sure how much clearance you have on either side of your car, but you could experiment placing obstacles on one side, forcing summon to pull in at an angle.

• Informative
Reactions: redy and TTexla
Summon does not completely work in my garage because of the elevation difference. There is a 1.4" lip from the driveway to the garage floor (up). When summon hits this going forward it sometimes stops when the front wheels hit the lip. It never clears the back wheels. I had considered building a ramp or something to get the car into the garage with summon, but this is intentionally designed this way. The garage door closes on the 'driveway side' of the lip creating a seal and would need to be level from side to side. Any ramp would leave a gap under the door. Summon needs a touch more 'acceleration' to get over the lip.

Anyone else experiencing this? Where do I write to tell Tesla?

John

I had a lip on my garage which wasn't quite as high as your but would frequently cause summon to abort, especially with the rear wheels. I noticed that the times it failed, the car was positioned such that it pulled completely straight into the garage. This caused both rear wheels to have to go over the lip simultaneously, requiring more torque. However, when the car wasn't quite straight, summon would succeed because one wheel would clear the lip at a time.

I'm not sure how much clearance you have on either side of your car, but you could experiment placing obstacles on one side, forcing summon to pull in at an angle.

Very interesting. I have the space to pull in at an angle (turning to the left on entry). Thanks for the idea.

John

Mine too. I bought a 1 x 4 x 8 pressure treated board that fits between the door and the hump. It works like a small step. Summon still has problems going in forward. Coming out backwards, no problem.

Mine has no problem exiting 'down' the elevation, only up as you noted. I tried a 3/4" PVC pipe (10 feet long) and that did not do the trick. I think that a 1x4 might make a difference. Perhaps even a furring strip. I don't really need summon, but would like it to work.

Thanks.

Summon: My garage has shelves on the left hand side and at the far end that restrict the space. The center of the garage is mostly open. The tesla has only successfully entered forwards once. Other times it turns the wheels hard and aborts. One time it entered ok but went left towards the shelves. It aborted about 80% into the garage. Do you think white lines painted on the floor would help?

Summon: My garage has shelves on the left hand side and at the far end that restrict the space. The center of the garage is mostly open. The tesla has only successfully entered forwards once. Other times it turns the wheels hard and aborts. One time it entered ok but went left towards the shelves. It aborted about 80% into the garage. Do you think white lines painted on the floor would help?
Summon uses only the ultrasonic sensors, at least on AP1. I have heard nothing to indicate summon uses any cameras on AP2, although I imagine this will change one day. So painting lines on the floor won't do any good. Summon will try to center itself relative to any obstacles detected, so you may actually want to place an obstacle on the right side of your car to keep it from turning that way. I can't guarantee this will work but you will likely see different results. Then you can plan around with obstacle placement to try to get the car where you want it.

This is definitely an issue, but there are solutions.

Car going towards garage opening
Make sure the car is as close to the opening as possible before using summon
If you have a split garage (2 car garage with pillar only in the middle) Put cones or something right inside the door on the open side where there isn't a wall. I don't think you have to go far in, but anything to let the car know it's not just a pole it has to go around. (I 3D Printed a small 8" cone for this)

Car not wanting to go into the garage because of a lip
This is the one that most people complain about. Ours did the same thing. Going in was a "nope" once it hit either the front or the back tires on the 1.5" lip we have on our garage. The lip is designed to keep water out of the garage, so we want to keep it. You could usually nudge the car again with summon and it would try again and sometimes make it after a couple of tries.

I 3D Printed some lips for the tires and the problem is completely gone for me. It has never failed to summon in or out of the garage since I put them in place. I've included a picture below. I also used clear silicone caulking (bottom and against the lip) to keep them in place and to give a little cushion for the plastic so it didn't have plastic to concrete pressure. It still keeps the water away and designed them to go just to the garage door where it closes down to the concrete, so it's not in the way.

It is a troublesome problem, but there is hope. Find a friend with a 3D Printer and very little knowledge of creating a triangle block (TinkerCad would work fine) and you will be good to go.

IMG_3979.JPG

• Helpful
Reactions: SpudLime