Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon anyone? 2018.24.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea, that kinda sucks.... how can I update if its not there to update? lol
It's there, just scroll to the bottom of the list of existing firmwares.
Screenshot_20180626-072426_Chrome.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: emorog
I really, REALLY hate the inconsistent rollout of these updates and the total black box of "will I get this update? If so, when?"

They're just erring on the side of caution. Tesla doesn't want to release an update that may potentially brick some vehicles or something like that. With my phone, yes, I want updates as soon as they are available. However with my Model 3, I would like the updates quickly but I want to make sure Tesla has the time to ensure that when my Model 3 receives the new update nothing will break.

Reactions: emorog and Shygar
They're just erring on the side of caution. Tesla doesn't want to release an update that may potentially brick some vehicles or something like that. With my phone, yes, I want updates as soon as they are available. However with my Model 3, I would like the updates quickly but I want to make sure Tesla has the time to ensure that when my Model 3 receives the new update nothing will break.

EXACTLY! It is cool to get updates so soon and be able to provide feedback but they could also brick your car so there is some risk.

Reactions: emorog
EXACTLY! It is cool to get updates so soon and be able to provide feedback but they could also brick your car so there is some risk.

Yep, better for them to brick a handful of cars with the initial release than potentially bricking hundreds or thousands if they push the update out to the fleet too quickly.

If you're erring on the side of caution but Tesla selected you to get an early update, you can always postpone it for a few days. Usually when an early update has a big problem, Tesla will retract the update. As long as your car has internet connectivity, Tesla can remotely "unstage" an update before you get around to installing it if there's a problem.

If you're erring on the side of caution but Tesla selected you to get an early update, you can always postpone it for a few days. Usually when an early update has a big problem, Tesla will retract the update. As long as your car has internet connectivity, Tesla can remotely "unstage" an update before you get around to installing it if there's a problem.
I'm a risk taker. :)

As am I! I was one of the "lucky" 4 to get 2018.24 before it went away. Super excited about it.
I had something crazy happen with .24. I was on 21.9 and got notified on Friday that I had an update. I went home, tried to apply the updated and when I did, it said I was still on 21.9. So I don't know if they pulled it back quick or what but I never actually got .24 on my car.

I have no problem with waves of rollouts. I have a problem with the uncertainty of status and the inability to get any sort of clarifications from Tesla. If I'm always in Wave 3 or whatever? Fine. But sometimes I'm one of the very first people to get an update. Sometimes I never get it at all. That's a crappy user experience.

as for erring on the side of caution, I'll always happily take an early rollout as an option, I'd rather have my car bricked than my phone. If I'm about to take a road trip? No, I won't install then and there. If it's a normal day? Sure.

I have no problem with waves of rollouts. I have a problem with the uncertainty of status and the inability to get any sort of clarifications from Tesla. If I'm always in Wave 3 or whatever? Fine. But sometimes I'm one of the very first people to get an update. Sometimes I never get it at all. That's a crappy user experience.

as for erring on the side of caution, I'll always happily take an early rollout as an option, I'd rather have my car bricked than my phone. If I'm about to take a road trip? No, I won't install then and there. If it's a normal day? Sure.

True, when they do finally release an update to the whole fleet it’s still quite the mystery as to when a particular vehicle will actually get the update. The promised “request update” feature that Elon tweeted about not too long ago cannot come soon enough.

Reactions: d21mike
I had something crazy happen with .24. I was on 21.9 and got notified on Friday that I had an update. I went home, tried to apply the updated and when I did, it said I was still on 21.9. So I don't know if they pulled it back quick or what but I never actually got .24 on my car.

That usually means a pulled update. They have done that in the past when certain updates had major bugs (there was one update that disabled AP features on AP2.5 cars)

Reactions: ghoticov
According to TeslaFi there's been a good amount of installed of 2018.24.1 today on the S, X and 3. Looks like the roll out is expanding. Since this update includes safety related features, the max speed limit setting and cabin overheat protection, I would assume that this will see a quick and wide deployment to the fleet similar to what happened with the ABS update that came with 2018.18.13.

Reactions: ghoticov
Yah, cabin overheat protection is a little confusing. It just maintains a temperature of 105?

If we want to waste the battery, and lower the temperature to 80, shouldn't we be able to?

I guess that's not really what the feature is about, but still...

Elon a long time ago promises a customizable threshold for cabin overheat but right now it's still been 105 and not adjustable.

FWIW 105 is still a ton better than the 130-140 that a car can get up to in direct sunlight. I never leave any living beings in my car unattended, but I have to say, the chewing gum in my car doesn't melt into a giant amorphous blob like it used to in my ICE car.