Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon anyone? 2018.24.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So when am I gonna have this update? Argued with my wife this morning over moving the car.

I want summon to move my car along side my wooden fence, 12 inches from it.. is that doable? As you can imagine if the car hits the fence the damage to the car is not really what would worry me the most (the fence is wooden!).. and the cost could be quite significant.

So when am I gonna have this update? Argued with my wife this morning over moving the car.

I want summon to move my car along side my wooden fence, 12 inches from it.. is that doable? As you can imagine if the car hits the fence the damage to the car is not really what would worry me the most (the fence is wooden!).. and the cost could be quite significant.
As long as it’s straight. It doesn’t turn

It's only information from one Tesla employee, but when I was on the phone with customer service today about a different issue, he said with Model 3s updates are going out about once a month. Since it's been about 3 weeks since my last update (to 21.9), he said to expect the next one in about a week. He also said if the car goes without an update after about 4 weeks and lagging behind other Model 3s, it's reasonable to call in and inquire if an update is available to be pushed.

Besides summon, wi-fi, and the speed limiter, it's also supposed to correct the phone call Bluetooth echo problem that's been reported.

I'm one of the few (un?)lucky ones with 24.1 on my Model 3.

In general, major features are all working with this version. Summon works, WiFi works, AP is working as good as previous versions. There's minor bugs that have been there for the last several versions that still aren't fixed, but that never stopped the releases before.

The one major thing that I think is a pretty big problem is the new TACC behavior for exit ramps. This has caused several problems for me. The designed behavior is that when the car senses that you're taking an exit ramp while on TACC, the TACC set speed is progressively lowered automatically to slow you down for the exit ramp. I've seen this work OK on interchange ramps, although sometimes it doesn't return to the original set speed. But the real problem is that we have a major freeway here in Houston that is under heavy construction (Northwest Freeway / US 290). Lanes are diverted differently every weekend to make room for the construction. AutoSteer is not appropriate for this freeway, with the narrow lanes and botts dots lane markers, but I use TACC on it. However, I have several times seen this new feature behave very unexpectedly -- for example, I'll be in the right lane with TACC at 65, but the diversion due to the construction has moved the main lanes over to where an exit ramp used to be. The car now begins slowing all of a sudden because it thinks I'm taking a non-existent exit ramp. This is dangerous and needs to be fixed.

I have briefly used AutoSteer on this freeway just to see how the lane recognition reacts to the botts dots lane markers and discovered another issue. Due to the diversions, the car will sometimes think you are no longer on the main lanes of the freeway, but are instead on the service road. Since the service road is undivided, you immediately get "Autosteer limited to 50 MPH on this road", and an immediate slowdown. Combine this with the TACC problem above, and you can't maintain speed with the car using any of the driver aids.

Contemplating how Tesla is going to make FSD work on roads like this seems like a pipe dream at this point.
Using TACC or FSD on a road undergoing construction is extremely risky. The car could easily get confused between the old lanes and the new lanes and if Tesla were smart they would find a way to disable these features when entering a construction zone. There are just too many variables to deal with and trying to use it under these conditions is IMO irresponsible. If the construction crew forgets to move or remove an old lane marker or makes the lanes too narrow or too sharp then you’re gonna go into it at full speed and cause a collision. Then more negative publicity will come. I think they are a very long ways away from getting it to work here.

Reactions: LBusDoor90
Using TACC or FSD on a road undergoing construction is extremely risky.

Driving on a road undergoing construction is risky in its own right. :)

You are very correct in your analysis, however, and that's a good thing for drivers who are new to TACC and Autosteer to heed. There is a learning curve with TACC and Autosteer and it's easy to have overreliance on the system or to overestimate its capabilities.

For the record, though, I have over 50K miles of Autosteer experience dating back to October of 2015 when AP1 software 7.0 was released for my Model S. I am well aware when and where I can engage Autosteer and TACC commensurate with my skill using these aids.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
Driving on a road undergoing construction is risky in its own right. :)

You are very correct in your analysis, however, and that's a good thing for drivers who are new to TACC and Autosteer to heed. There is a learning curve with TACC and Autosteer and it's easy to have overreliance on the system or to overestimate its capabilities.

For the record, though, I have over 50K miles of Autosteer experience dating back to October of 2015 when AP1 software 7.0 was released for my Model S. I am well aware when and where I can engage Autosteer and TACC commensurate with my skill using these aids.
I have about 1600 miles of EAP experience and it works well 99% of the time. For the 1% of the time it doesn't work well, that's when my ability to drive comes in handy. :)

TeslaFi might be biased towards dorks like us who will try to play tricks to get new firmware loaded on our cars once we know it's available… but apart from that, it's a lot more representative of the masses. It's always a good way to estimate what percentage of the fleet has a certain update, and whether you've fallen behind in a way that implies something might be wrong, or you're just impatient :D

Just got my car back from the SC! My firmware was updated to 24.7. Summon activated but in reality, I’ll probably never use it at this stage. Cabin overheat protection is a big plus in Las Vegas. Speed limiter will only be used for valet.

But I got WiFi now!!! Teslas LTE reception isn’t so great in my area.