Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon Backed into My Garage; Wouldn't Drive Out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pruitt

Pontificating the obvious
Jun 27, 2014
Casper WY
A funny thing happened this morning as I prepared to leave for work...
My Tesla would not pull itself out of the garage.
Every evening since receiving the car March 25th I have used summon to back the car into the garage. Every morning I use summon to have the car pull out of the garage so I can get into it and drive. Clearances are set to "tight" since the garage is rather cramped.
Last night the car backed into the garage as it usually does. It stopped where it usually does. The car was an inch or two further to the right than it usually is, but that was no big deal; it still cleared the doorframe by several inches.
This morning I went out to the garage, unplugged, opened the bay door (the garage has no opener) and, using the fob, directed the Tesla to pull out. It move a few feet, and when the rear-most ultrasonic sensor on the front bumper (right hand side, just forward of the wheel well) was even with the doorframe, the car stopped.
Ok, no problem. Often the car requires two or three summon triggers to fully park or fully exit. I activated summon again and told the car to pull forward (hit the frunk button on the fob). The car thought for a few seconds, then shut off summon without moving. Tried again; same result. Hmmm.
Stuck in the garage?
I did not try having the car back in and move forward again.
There was enough room on the driver's side that I could squeeze into the driver's seat. Maybe I could pull forward manually (horrors!). Only problem - the mirrors are unfolded, and the right one would certainly hit the doorframe.
Is there a way to move the car manually with the mirrors folded?
I turned creep mode on, then put the car into drive. The display said "STOP" and showed a bright red line very near the outline of the car at the aforementioned sensor, and one a bit farther away for the left one. But the car did creep forward, and the sensor lines faded out.
Now I had a new problem. I couldn't get out of the car where it was now located, and the mirror still would not clear the doorframe. I put the car in park and hit the summon on the fob again. I had no idea if summon would function with someone sitting in the driver's seat. Fortunately it did. The mirrors folded and the car pulled itself on out of the garage. The sensors readings from the rear of the car did not cause summon to stop.
It took me over ten minutes, but I was able to extricate the car from the garage.
It seems strange, though - the car backed in fine, then balked at pulling back out, even though the space and portal configuration were unchanged.
Looks like summon needs a bit more development...

Pushing the center button between the mirror adjuster selector (?) will manually fold mirrors in/out.

ximm

A funny thing happened this morning as I prepared to leave for work...
My Tesla would not pull itself out of the garage.
Every evening since receiving the car March 25th I have used summon to back the car into the garage. Every morning I use summon to have the car pull out of the garage so I can get into it and drive. Clearances are set to "tight" since the garage is rather cramped.
Looks like summon needs a bit more development...
Sounds like you need a better garage... Or can you clear out some stuff?

Sounds like you need a better garage... Or can you clear out some stuff?
I suppose I could cut away the sides of the doorframe... There are no obstructions inside the garage.

Can that be due to dirt on the sensors? just wondering...
Could be. When I got the opti-coat added, I had to rub each of the rear sensor pads a bit to get the car to back itself into the garage, so I'll try that on the front ones as well.
The car did pull out just fine this morning.

Have already been helped by this forum and I just signed up. Just ending a three yr lease on a Nissan Leaf and awaiting delivery of my S. I had installed a level 2 charger in the front of the garage for the Leaf and was considering having it moved near the garage door for the rear port on the S. But if the car will back itself in then no reason to move the charger location. Thanks!

I've noticed that in one of the recent updates, summon seems to be more stubborn with regard to starting. I'm not sure if it's just that you were parked near obstructions. Every so often, after entering summon mode with the fob, pressing the frunk or trunk buttons doesn't do anything. After a while, summon mode exits. Try again, sometimes it work, sometimes it doesn't.

But here's an interesting tidbit: while it sometimes doesn't work from the fob, it always works from the app.

(Yes, batteries are good in the fob. I'm in range. I'm pressing the right buttons. And of course summon is enabled from the touch screen.)

I've noticed that in one of the recent updates, summon seems to be more stubborn with regard to starting. I'm not sure if it's just that you were parked near obstructions. Every so often, after entering summon mode with the fob, pressing the frunk or trunk buttons doesn't do anything. After a while, summon mode exits. Try again, sometimes it work, sometimes it doesn't.

But here's an interesting tidbit: while it sometimes doesn't work from the fob, it always works from the app.

(Yes, batteries are good in the fob. I'm in range. I'm pressing the right buttons. And of course summon is enabled from the touch screen.)
I think it has become more cautious. It used to move up a slight grade to my garage but now stops at the steepest part.

I also have noticed that Summon in and out of my garage is asymmetrical. I think it is all due to the fact that whenever
it needs to steer to (in its judgment) avoid something its gets "off course" and has no idea of "course correction".
So at the end of its run it can wind up in a place it can't (easily) get back out of. But I've never had it require more
than one additional invocation to finish, and it has never gotten "stuck".

There appears to be no earthly reason why you can't invoke Summon while in the car (without using the fob, which is
kinda silly when you're SITTING RIGHT THERE). I think it just didn't occur to Tesla that there was a use case for
that (which there definitely is).

Great topic, thanks for sharing.

The summons "back-in/out" is my interest, not for charging (have 25' HPWC cable), but because trunk door can interfere with garage door at final park position. If I back in, I can let my dog in the back every morning b4 opening the garage door.

How to teach the back-in/out is in the manual somewhere, or online? Programming mirror retraction for this not critical for me, but added clearance always welcome.

Great topic, thanks for sharing.

The summons "back-in/out" is my interest, not for charging (have 25' HPWC cable), but because trunk door can interfere with garage door at final park position. If I back in, I can let my dog in the back every morning b4 opening the garage door.

How to teach the back-in/out is in the manual somewhere, or online? Programming mirror retraction for this not critical for me, but added clearance always welcome.
Summon doesn't learn. It simply attempts to pull in straight ahead (or back) until it reaches an obstacle (distance configurable). It will make minor steering corrections to keep a safe distance from the obstacles it knows about on each side. Otherwise, it's really not very smart.

It will make minor steering corrections to keep a safe distance from the obstacles
More precisely, it will simply steer to avoid them. But it has no idea that doing so has put it "off course", so once this happens all bets are off versus your original "destination". Barring obstacles, it does seem to be capable of minor steering to keep "on course" (when that
just means "in a straight line").

More precisely, it will simply steer to avoid them. But it has no idea that doing so has put it "off course", so once this happens all bets are off versus your original "destination". Barring obstacles, it does seem to be capable of minor steering to keep "on course" (when that
just means "in a straight line").
I think it has some idea of "straight back".
If you look at this video of Summon, you'll see that the dog is doing a good job of monitoring the car as it steers to avoid the garage side and continues straight back... (the dog seems unimpressed by the whole operation):