Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon Backing Not Stopping Correctly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of an 2019 MS Long Range with FSD. I just sold my 2015 MS 85D. With my 2015, I have a two car garage but only room for one car to fit due to storage on other side. With my 2015 I would summon my car into the garage and it would stop perfectly. Then in the morning I would use summon to back it out of the garage and it would stop right as the nose of the car cleared the garage and the back of the car was short of the sidewalk.

Now I am trying that same procedure with the same summon settings with my 2019. The car pulls into the garage perfectly. But when I use summon to back it out - it keeps backing out into the street. Of course I can manually stop it. But why did my 2015 stop perfectly in the driveway and the new car won't stop when backing? I have tried it about a dozen times so far. Strange the old car had a feature that worked flawlessly and the new car has the flaw. I have tried shortening the amount of feet from the transmitter but it had no affect.

Interesting. It's about 18 feet to back all the way out of my garage. The old car was set at 40 feet. I never could figure out what made it stop but it was always perfect for my needs. I see your point. I'll just need to stop this one manually from now on once it clears the garage.

Maybe answer one other question MPMike. There is a tiny round red icon that sometimes appears on the top right of the screen just to the left of the wifi icon. It seems I can touch it to turn it off and on but I have no idea what it is?....I can't seem to find it in the owners manual and it wasn't on my previous car.

Maybe answer one other question MPMike. There is a tiny round red icon that sometimes appears on the top right of the screen just to the left of the wifi icon. It seems I can touch it to turn it off and on but I have no idea what it is?....I can't seem to find it in the owners manual and it wasn't on my previous car.

Sounds the sentry mode control.

Did you Customize Summon under the Autopilot menu, and tell it how far to go? The default is probably more than 1 garage-length. I've fiddled with mine and it does seem to work - it backs out until it sees an obstacle, or the set distance.
Yes that's the strange thing. I measured the distance I'd like it to back out and it's about 18 feet, so I set that distance in the autopilot menu and it doesn't seem to make a difference. It just keeps going.

You can set the amount of distance to summon. For me I have my car summon out 35 feet from my garage (as it is detached) and it stops in the same spot every time. You may need to tweak this distance setting.
Yes I set it to 18 feet which is the distance out of my garage but it made no difference. It just kept backing up. MP3Mike above said he thought my 2015 car was not acting properly. He said it should back up 40 feet unless it scans an obstacle.

It seems the problem was corrected on an update. When I took delivery of the car, surprisingly it was 3 updates behind including version 10. After it completed the updates, it backed out of the garage and stopped right at the end of the driveway. Thanks to all for the feedback!!