TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Summon + Backup Lights (daytime)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by amallah, Apr 21, 2016.

1. amallah

amallah Member

I can't tell if this is a bug/service issue or a feature request - but when I summon the car in reverse in the daytime, the backup lights don't turn on. They do at night. Shouldn't they always be on? My use case is that I'm in a parking lot and I'm backing out of a space as I walk towards the car - but I'm worried that other drivers in the parking lot will not be expecting a driverless vehicle on the move (imagine that).. Am I wrong?

2. msnow

msnow Active Member

Makes sense.

3. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Maybe Tesla assumes that you wouldn't start "Summon" with other cars approaching?

4. roblab

roblab Active Member

When I use summon, I am usually standing nearby. If a car is approaching, I stop summon and wave them on -- unless they insist on sitting and staring. I can restart summon and back out far enough to get in the car, and we drive away. I've never had a problem.

5. Eugene Ash

Eugene Ash Member

Sorry for the noob question: is parking into a narrow spot possible: 1 come into an office garage 2 find a narrow spot 3 step out of the vehicle 4 instruct the vehicle to take that spot. 5 go conduct business. 6 come back 7. Summon the car out of the tight spot?

Is it doable?

6. amallah

amallah Member

Of course not. I would also not get into a car without Summon and start backing out while other cars are approaching expecting the lights to be sufficient warning.

The scenario is that summon has started, and another car approaches during the summon. Of course I can hit stop, but now there is a stopped car in the middle of a parking lot with no lights or driver. The point of the lights is for the other driver to be aware of the direction and motion of the car. From the back of the car in daytime, it doesn't look any different on or off.

Yes.

7. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Genesis - The Beginning - MS60D in its nest

I can see Summon into a tight space where the walls make the space tight. But if you park your car so close to my car that I can't get into it - well, Houston we have a problem. If is is sorta-tight, then I bang my door into you.
    I am excited about the usefulness of Summon - I just hope "misuse-abuse" does not cause a backlash.

8. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

How 'bout if you park your car so far to the right in your space that you're crowding the space to your right? You'll have plenty of
    room to get out on the left if I park close to you on the right (but only in the center of my spot). I don't want to encourage someone to
    ding me, but are inconsiderate parkers really just given a pass for taking up two spots?

9. AZ Desert Driver

Ahhh - left side/right side crowding..my parking is better than yours...a topic where the only solution is to be good neighbors. And there are always bad neighbors. Summon may fix some conditions - good thing. But they COULD also let a Tesla driver become a bad neighbor.
    My hope again is that misuse/abuse is a minimum and does not cause a backlash.

10. amallah

amallah Member

Okay, so what I'm gathering from this is that it's not just me, the backup lights do not turn on if you are summoning in the daytime.

If that was the logic, this doesn't explain why it the backup lights do turn on at night (when the headlights/taillights are on).

11. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Normal backup light behavior? Nothing special when in "Summon" mode?

12. kort677

kort677 Active Member

on my car the back up lights always turn on when using summons to back the car out of a spot.
    does anyone really use summons while seated inside the car?

13. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

Yes. I usually summon to/from outside my garage, but if it is raining I'll get/stay in the car. Being in the car in no way diminishes
    the value of the car maneuvering through my somewhat narrow garage door entrance. That value isn't realized every day; it will
    be realized on the day when I'm super tired, distracted, and in a hurry, when, left to my own devices, I might put a multi-hundred
    dollar (or worse) scratch or dent on one side. The car may stubbornly refuse to move now and then, but I'm confident at this point that
    it won't run into anything (certainly not any of the "standard threats" in this environment).

• Like x 1
  14. zambono

zambono Member

Per the manual wasn't summons supposed to be used in private property, as in your garage? Parking areas are also private property but I think Tesla means your own. Another observation if you are parking so close to other vehicles in a public parking you are asking for dents, and if other drivers are not as nice being keyed and such

15. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

My lights come on during the day..when it works...

16. AZ Desert Driver

This makes so much sense --- being super careful when fully awake so that when your tired and distracted the machine saves your bacon. I pull in and out of my garage and always miss the door frame, until someone leaves the radio on or asks about my coffee cup and I get distracted and --in the blink of an eye - baam goes the mirror.

17. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Summon has been useful for me twice in parking lots where someone has parked uncomfortably close to my driver's door.

• Like x 2
  18. roblab

roblab Active Member

I would say that's what it's for. Make sure you set up your car for narrow parking, and you will probably need to watch and tell it when to stop.