TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Summon beta 24.1 will enabled on Model 3, will CANADIAN get it?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ZooSean, Jun 22, 2018.

1. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

2018.24 has Summon for M3?

I desperately need this feature to reverse in my car into my garage since my charger installed at rear end of my Garage left side.

I have heard that Canadian law requires a fob to be presented near the car for summon.

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Why not just back the car in yourself? Presumably there is enough room to get in/out of the car since you'd have to get to the back of it to plug in anyway.

I have played with summon on my Model X to back out of my garage, and it is a slow process. Lot faster to just get in the car and do it yourself.

3. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

Because I can’t get off the car if back in.

4. Birdman325

Birdman325 Member

Do you actually need the fob? I had thought that the requirement in Canada was such that summon would only operate through the app on your phone and required a continuous press / hold on the screen to get summons to operate (which is different than my understanding of how this works in the US)

5. sakimano

sakimano Active Member

What if you leave the fob in the car and use summon...will that work? Or must it be outside / near?

I use summon to scare people. That's about it. Although 1 time I used it to get out of a mall spot when someone pinned me in.

6. Birdman325

Birdman325 Member

I think the OP's point is that there is no fob with the 3.

• Like x 1
  7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

The fob has to be "nearby" and then you do the press and hold thing.

It can be left in the car as a "workaround". One of our Toronto area club members launches his boat with his Model X this way: 1) Back trailer part way down the launch ramp, then jump in the boat 2) Use Summon to back the car up until the boat floats off the trailer 3) Use Summon to drive the car/trailer forward and out of the water from the boat while he pilots the boat over to the dock. He can do this by himself and doesn't even have to get his feet wet. But the fob has to be left in the car for this to work in Canada.

• Like x 3
  8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Isn't the key card the same thing?

• Like x 1
  9. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

That’s what I am unsure. Will Tesla just treat key card as fob or disable this feature in Canada all together?

10. markol

markol Member

I'm pretty sure your phone is the "key fob"... when you're near the car it's connected through bluetooth, which is essentially the same concept as if you had a fob.

11. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

Summon in Canada requires the "fob" near the car in communication distance. The Phone App communicates via SIM card to the mothership and then to the car. Not Bluetooth.

• Disagree x 2
  12. Koflach

Koflach Member

i'm still a little confused as to why the OP can't just back the vehicle into his garage himself. Do you have too much crap in your garage that you can't open your door when you back it in?

13. 1Step2NoGas

1Step2NoGas Member

My understanding is that the Tesla App uses LTE/WiFi to connect to Tesla's servers and uses Bluetooth to connect to the car. The Phone Key function, as far as I know, only uses bluetooth to lock/unlock the car.

IF the Tesla app uses Bluetooth beacon features such as iBeacon - Apple Developer then I can see how an iPhone (or android since I can't imagine android not having this) can easily function as a summon location anchor similar to a Model S or X fob.

14. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

When I back into my garage the drive side is the wall, and I can not get off the car after parking. Why a simple theory as this could not be understood?

• Like x 1
  15. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

I don't get it either. The charge port is on the driver's side. So if you back in to the left side, the charge port is also against the wall so how do you get there to plug it in? The only way I can make sense of it, is if there's a door to the garage there, since I have one there in my garage.

In any event, I guess you're being questioned because a lot of us deal with tight garages and we make it work. But I get that's no reply to someone like you for which it would be useful, and I'm certain there's a lot of others like you. For me, at this stage, summons looks gimmicky with too many accidents to make it useful if they enable it. I installed this retractor on a verticle board from the roof in the center of my garage and with 24' of HPWC cable it reaches the charge ports on both my S and 3 regardless of how we park either of them:

Wall Mount Retractor for CS EV Charging Stations | ClipperCreek

Still, I may have to squeeze myself around a bit to plug them in depending on how we park.

• Like x 1
  16. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

My HPWC is at rear driver side of my car if I back in, and it makes me much easier to charge my car then run the charge cable all around my car if I drive in. The reason that I have my charger at that place is because I used to have a Nissan Leaf which has the charge port at front.

17. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Yes, the summon feature goes over the cellular network to the car via the mothership. But in Canada, as a safety feature, the keyfob must be nearby (i.e. the car has to be able to "sense" the key). What we were saying is that in lieu of the fob, the Model 3 may use it's Bluetooth connection to the phone as that "safety feature".

• Helpful x 1
  18. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Member

Given our government, I’ll bet they just demand Summon he disabled without a fob to ensure the driver is nearby. :(

19. sakimano

sakimano Active Member

That's solid. Although you never should have to get your feet wet launching a boat. Just use a rope, shake it off the trailer and pull it to the dock. Can't say I'd trust summon for that. If it stops 6 feet too far in you could get the trailer axle caught on the end of the slab and be screwed.

20. thesteve

thesteve Member

It's possible it's not going over cell network ... Try the 'frunk' or trunk open button, mine works whether connected to the internet or not ... I'm assuming it's using some sort of local bluetooth connection/the phone key