Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon beta 24.1 will enabled on Model 3, will CANADIAN get it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why not just back the car in yourself? Presumably there is enough room to get in/out of the car since you'd have to get to the back of it to plug in anyway.

I have played with summon on my Model X to back out of my garage, and it is a slow process. Lot faster to just get in the car and do it yourself.

Do you actually need the fob? I had thought that the requirement in Canada was such that summon would only operate through the app on your phone and required a continuous press / hold on the screen to get summons to operate (which is different than my understanding of how this works in the US)

Do you actually need the fob? I had thought that the requirement in Canada was such that summon would only operate through the app on your phone and required a continuous press / hold on the screen to get summons to operate (which is different than my understanding of how this works in the US)

The fob has to be "nearby" and then you do the press and hold thing.

What if you leave the fob in the car and use summon...will that work? Or must it be outside / near?

It can be left in the car as a "workaround". One of our Toronto area club members launches his boat with his Model X this way: 1) Back trailer part way down the launch ramp, then jump in the boat 2) Use Summon to back the car up until the boat floats off the trailer 3) Use Summon to drive the car/trailer forward and out of the water from the boat while he pilots the boat over to the dock. He can do this by himself and doesn't even have to get his feet wet. But the fob has to be left in the car for this to work in Canada.

Summon in Canada requires the "fob" near the car in communication distance. The Phone App communicates via SIM card to the mothership and then to the car. Not Bluetooth.

My understanding is that the Tesla App uses LTE/WiFi to connect to Tesla's servers and uses Bluetooth to connect to the car. The Phone Key function, as far as I know, only uses bluetooth to lock/unlock the car.

IF the Tesla app uses Bluetooth beacon features such as iBeacon - Apple Developer then I can see how an iPhone (or android since I can't imagine android not having this) can easily function as a summon location anchor similar to a Model S or X fob.

When I back into my garage the drive side is the wall, and I can not get off the car after parking. Why a simple theory as this could not be understood?

I don't get it either. The charge port is on the driver's side. So if you back in to the left side, the charge port is also against the wall so how do you get there to plug it in? The only way I can make sense of it, is if there's a door to the garage there, since I have one there in my garage.

In any event, I guess you're being questioned because a lot of us deal with tight garages and we make it work. But I get that's no reply to someone like you for which it would be useful, and I'm certain there's a lot of others like you. For me, at this stage, summons looks gimmicky with too many accidents to make it useful if they enable it. I installed this retractor on a verticle board from the roof in the center of my garage and with 24' of HPWC cable it reaches the charge ports on both my S and 3 regardless of how we park either of them:

Wall Mount Retractor for CS EV Charging Stations | ClipperCreek

Still, I may have to squeeze myself around a bit to plug them in depending on how we park.

Reactions: Koflach
I don't get it either. The charge port is on the driver's side. So if you back in to the left side, the charge port is also against the wall so how do you get there to plug it in? The only way I can make sense of it, is if there's a door to the garage there, since I have one there in my garage.

In any event, I guess you're being questioned because a lot of us deal with tight garages and we make it work. But I get that's no reply to someone like you for which it would be useful, and I'm certain there's a lot of others like you. For me, at this stage, summons looks gimmicky with too many accidents to make it useful if they enable it. I installed this retractor on a verticle board from the roof in the center of my garage and with 24' of HPWC cable it reaches the charge ports on both my S and 3 regardless of how we park either of them:

Wall Mount Retractor for CS EV Charging Stations | ClipperCreek

Still, I may have to squeeze myself around a bit to plug them in depending on how we park.

My HPWC is at rear driver side of my car if I back in, and it makes me much easier to charge my car then run the charge cable all around my car if I drive in. The reason that I have my charger at that place is because I used to have a Nissan Leaf which has the charge port at front.

Summon in Canada requires the "fob" near the car in communication distance. The Phone App communicates via SIM card to the mothership and then to the car. Not Bluetooth.

Yes, the summon feature goes over the cellular network to the car via the mothership. But in Canada, as a safety feature, the keyfob must be nearby (i.e. the car has to be able to "sense" the key). What we were saying is that in lieu of the fob, the Model 3 may use it's Bluetooth connection to the phone as that "safety feature".

• Helpful
Reactions: Canuck
Yes, the summon feature goes over the cellular network to the car via the mothership. But in Canada, as a safety feature, the keyfob must be nearby (i.e. the car has to be able to "sense" the key). What we were saying is that in lieu of the fob, the Model 3 may use it's Bluetooth connection to the phone as that "safety feature".
Given our government, I’ll bet they just demand Summon he disabled without a fob to ensure the driver is nearby. :(

The fob has to be "nearby" and then you do the press and hold thing.

It can be left in the car as a "workaround". One of our Toronto area club members launches his boat with his Model X this way: 1) Back trailer part way down the launch ramp, then jump in the boat 2) Use Summon to back the car up until the boat floats off the trailer 3) Use Summon to drive the car/trailer forward and out of the water from the boat while he pilots the boat over to the dock. He can do this by himself and doesn't even have to get his feet wet. But the fob has to be left in the car for this to work in Canada.
That's solid. Although you never should have to get your feet wet launching a boat. Just use a rope, shake it off the trailer and pull it to the dock. Can't say I'd trust summon for that. If it stops 6 feet too far in you could get the trailer axle caught on the end of the slab and be screwed.

It's possible it's not going over cell network ... Try the 'frunk' or trunk open button, mine works whether connected to the internet or not ... I'm assuming it's using some sort of local bluetooth connection/the phone key