Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon Cannot Connect to Vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello

I have a UK spec 2017 Model X with upgraded MCU2 from Tesla in a gray market and I’m unable to use Summon to connect to vehicle. Whenever I open Summon feature for forward and reverse in the app, the app shows “Connecting” message for a few seconds after which it shows “cannot connect to vehicle” message. I have tried many times even sitting inside the car but it just does not connect.

The car is connected to Wifi and with remain connected to Wifi also checked for Wifi network. Any idea why this might be happening? I’m trying to use normal summon here, not smart summon.

The car has 2021.40.6 firmware installed.

Any help on this will be appreciated. Thanks

If this happened right after the MCU upgrade, then I think they need to reset the remote key security certificate.

There might be a data issue if the SIM is not original to the car.

Try leaving the key fob inside the car and then try if summon works.

If this happened right after the MCU upgrade, then I think they need to reset the remote key security certificate.

There might be a data issue if the SIM is not original to the car.

Try leaving the key fob inside the car and then try if summon works.
thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that I am able to remote start, lock, unlock car from the app as long as car is awake and connected to WiFi.

I still have original OEM sim installed but of course the car has no LTE signal because of it being in gray market.

Do you still think it’s remote key security certificate that needs to be reset? I have never used Summon on it as I got the car only after it was upgraded with MCU2.

I have tried to keep key fob in the car but it still does not connect.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that I am able to remote start, lock, unlock car from the app as long as car is awake and connected to WiFi.

I still have original OEM sim installed but of course the car has no LTE signal because of it being in gray market.

Do you still think it’s remote key security certificate that needs to be reset? I have never used Summon on it as I got the car only after it was upgraded with MCU2.

I have tried to keep key fob in the car but it still does not connect.
If you can unlock and remote start the car, then the remote key is probably not the issue.

Are you able to perform a basic summon using only the key fob and not the app?

This happened to me. The car gradually got less and less responsive, due to a dying 12 volt battery. July 2018 Model X 100D. The rangers came out the next day and replaced the battery on warranty. Never got the failing battery alert.

This happened to me. The car gradually got less and less responsive, due to a dying 12 volt battery. July 2018 Model X 100D. The rangers came out the next day and replaced the battery on warranty. Never got the failing battery alert.
Oh wow. I am not getting any 12v battery replace notification either. You had exact same error “cannot connect to vehicle” everytime you tried summon? Did it work intermittently or did it not work at all?

What issue are you exactly facing regarding summon?
Before I could summon it and out my garage and now it doesn't want to do it all. It comes to releasing the parking brake and gets on the parking brake again and disconnects. My garage is tight but that was before not a problem.
Outside before I could summon a few meters walking the dog more or less, now even with the key inside I get a foot max. This happened I believe with the changover from app version 3.x.x to 4.x.x.

Ok so I have an update on this. Like I said, I had the car in gray market with no working LTE. After I changed the SIM and got LTE, Summon started working flawlessly with no issues!

What we learn here is that for Summon to work, the car must have working LTE. Wifi hotspot (even with remain connected to Wifi also checked) will not work for Summon.

Reactions: fr100
Ok so I have an update on this. Like I said, I had the car in gray market with no working LTE. After I changed the SIM and got LTE, Summon started working flawlessly with no issues!

What we learn here is that for Summon to work, the car must have working LTE. Wifi hotspot (even with remain connected to Wifi also checked) will not work for Summon.
Could you please let me know how do you change the sim and make it work?

Could you please let me know how do you change the sim and make it work?
I have 2017 Model X with MCU2 upgrade. I opened up the dashboard, took the MCU2 unit out. Opening it up and found the SIM slot on the board. Took Tesla SIM out and replaced it with my country's SIM. Put everything back up and it worked flawlessly for me with no configuration changes needed. I think the reason why it worked with no APN change is because the SIM I use doesn't require any custom APN. If you have a third-party SIM which requires a custom APN to work, you can't do anything unless Tesla changes the APN for you.

I have 2017 Model X with MCU2 upgrade. I opened up the dashboard, took the MCU2 unit out. Opening it up and found the SIM slot on the board. Took Tesla SIM out and replaced it with my country's SIM. Put everything back up and it worked flawlessly for me with no configuration changes needed. I think the reason why it worked with no APN change is because the SIM I use doesn't require any custom APN. If you have a third-party SIM which requires a custom APN to work, you can't do anything unless Tesla changes the APN for you.
So you can now use tesla's navigation?
What about FSD? Is it work for you?

Many thanks,

So you can now use tesla's navigation?
What about FSD? Is it work for you?

Many thanks,
Tesla navigation does not work as my country is not supported for navigation data provided by tesla.

I’m not enrolled in FSD beta as that is currently US only. I have a UK spec car.

Summon works now though. Spotify too works. Voice commands also work. I can also use the app and wake up the car remotely from anywhere using app. Just convenient having LTE everywhere I go.