Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon coming in 3-6 months, maybe 9...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PoitNarf

My dog's breath smells like dog food
Jun 7, 2016
NJ
Tweet from Elon earlier this evening:
Twitter

93958BFE-C753-480D-828B-1E8F98B7692B.jpeg

Glad to know the Model 3 is definitely getting summon, I’m just not going to hold my breath waiting for it...

I’m fairly new here...what did the $1500 version give you that the current EAP doesn’t?

1. HW1 is not $1500, it's $2500 for new car or $3000 for cars activate after delivery. HW2 is $5000, and $6000 after delivery.
2. HW1 ap have way better lane keeping up until HW2 reaches 2018.10.x which is March 2018. (2016.10 - 2018.3)
3. HW1 ap show different type cars, read speed limit way quicker
4. HW1 ap show cars on adjacent lanes, until HW2 reaches 2018.21.9 (2016.10 - 2018.3.6)
5. HW1 ap has summon
6. HW1 ap provide better auto parking, until HW2 reaches 2018.18

So to be frank, HW2/2.5 ap is still play catch up with HW1 ap on feature parity. It does do lane keeping and auto parking better after March, but if you ask me right now, I'd say the `Enhanced Autopilot` namesake is overrated and misleading.

Reactions: zmarty
1. HW1 is not $1500, it's $2500 for new car or $3000 for cars activate after delivery. HW2 is $5000, and $6000 after delivery.
2. HW1 ap have way better lane keeping up until HW2 reaches 2018.10.x which is March 2018. (2016.10 - 2018.3)
3. HW1 ap show different type cars, read speed limit way quicker
4. HW1 ap show cars on adjacent lanes, until HW2 reaches 2018.21.9 (2016.10 - 2018.3.6)
5. HW1 ap has summon
6. HW1 ap provide better auto parking, until HW2 reaches 2018.18

So to be frank, HW2/2.5 ap is still play catch up with HW1 ap on feature parity. It does do lane keeping and auto parking better after March, but if you ask me right now, I'd say the `Enhanced Autopilot` namesake is overrated and misleading.
Just to clarify, HW 2/2.5 also has summon on Model S/X, it's just missing from Model 3 at the moment.

And HW2/2.5 doesn't read speed limit signs at all, it pulls from the database.

I'd agree that EAP is finally, just now close to feature parity with AP. Really only missing speed limits and the purely cosmetic identification of motorcycles and trucks once the 2018.21 code drops for everyone.

Hopefully now, we'll see EAP start to pull away from AP, but I suspect we're still a long ways off from seeing the full advertised features of EAP.

I definitely notice a difference in abilities of AP1 vs AP2 now, to the benefit of AP2. I'm most interested in what "way more advanced summon" means. Will it circle the block looking for a spot? Drive from the back of the parking lot to the front of the store to pick you up? Drive itself home from the airport so I don't have to pay for parking?

I definitely notice a difference in abilities of AP1 vs AP2 now, to the benefit of AP2. I'm most interested in what "way more advanced summon" means. Will it circle the block looking for a spot? Drive from the back of the parking lot to the front of the store to pick you up? Drive itself home from the airport so I don't have to pay for parking?
Eventually summon is supposed to be able to drop you off at the entrance to the mall, go park itself and return to pick you up when you're ready to leave. Combined with FSD, it would be able to drop you off at the airport, then go home and park, returning to pick you up when you get back.

It remains to be seen what level of summon will require EAP and which will require FSD. One might assume that summon with EAP could negotiate private property and require FSD to navigate to park outside of a local parking lot. It may be that any level of summon beyond simple driveway/garage maneuvers will require FSD.

We are just at the beginning of automatious driving. What we see in our production cars is just the first baby steps. What is to come will blow our minds and give is so much liberation or manual driving.

That initial video from Tesla will just give us a glimps of the future of personal transportation. It is coming, but not here yet.

Parsing every individual function and deciding who did it best in the past totally misses the point. It is coming. It will not be stopped. It will change everything.

We are just at the beginning of automatious driving. What we see in our production cars is just the first baby steps. What is to come will blow our minds and give is so much liberation or manual driving.

That initial video from Tesla will just give us a glimps of the future of personal transportation. It is coming, but not here yet.

Parsing every individual function and deciding who did it best in the past totally misses the point. It is coming. It will not be stopped. It will change everything.

Have you been drinking down the canyon cowboy again?

• Funny
Reactions: MikeBur and zmarty
Eventually summon is supposed to be able to drop you off at the entrance to the mall, go park itself and return to pick you up when you're ready to leave. Combined with FSD, it would be able to drop you off at the airport, then go home and park, returning to pick you up when you get back.

Don't forget that it will also be able to earn you money taxiing people while you are away on your trip.