Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon Danger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're too focused on hardware here. Think about AutoPilot: Tesla's position is that it works (albeit in that beta-y way) on divided highways, but you are free to try to use it under a broader range of circumstances. They could claim that it only works on divided highways, during daylight hours, when it is neither raining nor snowing (, etc.) and then be able to make a stronger (perhaps even non-beta-y) claim about how well it works under those restricted conditions, but they don't. They use (from my cynical perspective) the fact that there exist circumstances where it can't reasonably be expected to work as an excuse for not promising it works under any circumstances. For summon they could tune it so if it has any doubt about the car's position relative to nearby obstacles it just gives up and stops, but that would make it appear less impressive.
The devil in in the details. You can't say "this is non-beta, but works only on divided highways without any breaks in the divider, without any lane restrictions, without any accidents on the road, without anyone trying to cross illegally, without any parked trucks on the side of the road, without steep hills, without sunshine directly into the camera, etc, etc". That's why it's called beta, it has a bunch of exception situations where it fails and nobody knows the complete list, and even if they did, do you expect the user to memorize a long list of such situations and then have to watch to make sure they take over if any of them occur?

Summon is one of the features we found the most exciting but alas it was not to be. I just don't see how we can watch the car closely in time to intervene where there is so little space on both sides. It won't take much for the car to make a steering change where a fender hits the wall or the garage door frame before we can stop the damage.

The provision to watch the car doing the parking IMHO is not practical exactly for the narrow garage scenarios where summon woudl actually be useful...

The devil in in the details. You can't say "this is non-beta, but works only on divided highways without any breaks in the divider, without any lane restrictions, without any accidents on the road, without anyone trying to cross illegally, without any parked trucks on the side of the road, without steep hills, without sunshine directly into the camera, etc, etc". That's why it's called beta, it has a bunch of exception situations where it fails and nobody knows the complete list, and even if they did, do you expect the user to memorize a long list of such situations and then have to watch to make sure they take over if any of them occur?
It is certainly not "standard use" of the term "beta" to refer to an undefined boundary between what is expected to work and what is not. The normal use of "beta" is to refer to something which has a well-defined set of intended capabilities, all of which are expected to either work reliably or be retracted by the time a non-beta version is released, some (typically, unknown) subset of which may not yet work reliably.
As for the long list of exceptions, nothing works perfectly always, so there's always the necessity of operator oversight. The question here is: is there any subset of one of these beta features which Tesla would be willing to stand up and say "if that does't work, that's our responsibility"?

I just don't see how we can watch the car closely in time to intervene where there is so little space on both sides. It won't take much for the car to make a steering change where a fender hits the wall or the garage door frame before we can stop the damage.

The provision to watch the car doing the parking IMHO is not practical exactly for the narrow garage scenarios where summon woudl actually be useful...

Odd: I don't see where hitting a key on the fob to immediately halt summon if you see something going wrong is a problem. It's instantaneous, not measured in seconds, and with the snail pace the summon moves the car, crashing into a wall if kind of hard to do, unless there's like less than six inches per side clearance.

One doesn't need to see all 4 corners of the car as it moves. Funny thing about it is that, if the left side moves right, the right side is also moving the same way. :) It's not clear to me why people think they need to watch all 4 corners...

Center the car about 4 feet from the garage opening, make sure you have your summon setting set to (tight or narrow, don't recall the exact wording) and watch the front wheels as it moves. If you're centered, the clearance will be the same on both sides.

Have been doing it since summon was first introduced in my AP2 MS.

Now one problem is, once inside the garage, the walls should have the same reflective surface for the ultrasonic sensors. You can test that the first time by sitting in the car while driving forward in the garage and watch the IC and what the sensors display. If they're not equal, either there's a problem with a sensor, or there are different surfaces causing different reflections.

Reactions: Kalex and r0xx0r
Odd: I don't see where hitting a key on the fob to immediately halt summon if you see something going wrong is a problem. It's instantaneous, not measured in seconds, and with the snail pace the summon moves the car, crashing into a wall if kind of hard to do, unless there's like less than six inches per side clearance.

One doesn't need to see all 4 corners of the car as it moves. Funny thing about it is that, if the left side moves right, the right side is also moving the same way. :) It's not clear to me why people think they need to watch all 4 corners...

Center the car about 4 feet from the garage opening, make sure you have your summon setting set to (tight or narrow, don't recall the exact wording) and watch the front wheels as it moves. If you're centered, the clearance will be the same on both sides.

Have been doing it since summon was first introduced in my AP2 MS.

Now one problem is, once inside the garage, the walls should have the same reflective surface for the ultrasonic sensors. You can test that the first time by sitting in the car while driving forward in the garage and watch the IC and what the sensors display. If they're not equal, either there's a problem with a sensor, or there are different surfaces causing different reflections.

You obviously have not seen our very narrow garage.

It's a close call on both sides in the best of circumstances so the margin is low. Also sometimes summon steering turns left and then right, as if trying to feel the environment. So by the time you start looking at the other side, it could have started steering the other direction already.

All I'm saying is that summon is the most useful for very narrow tight spaces and it's precisely when we have found that you can;t trust it or have enough time to react with a comfortable margin. And any mistake it makes, there goes a couple of thousand $ and possibly a weeks long repair.

Summon is an imperfect implementation (just like autopilot) but I'm still glad I have it for my narrow garage. I use it to back my car out in the third person with my finger on the button. Also I've used empty boxes in spots to guide the car around blindspots like shelves that extend over the height of the proximity sensors.

I would definitely never let it park or back up without watching it.

Reactions: r0xx0r
That is why I've never used summon ever, and stopped using AutoPilot almost completely - I'm one of the few who read the fine print on those features, which basically says "Use at your own risk, it will fail multiple times in the lifetime of your car, and if you don't stop it in time any damages are 100% on you".

I understand not using summon... it's still a gimmick at it's current stage of development.... but not using Autopilot?

You know.....you could have just been honest and told us you don't know how to engage autopilot.

Basically, you pull twice on the stalk to you and autopilot will make a "bing bing" sound. It's really awesome, and once you use it frequently and it becomes an extension of yourself.... you'll be glad you tried.

Don't feel embarrassed.

• Funny
Reactions: Joe F
You obviously have not seen our very narrow garage.

It's a close call on both sides in the best of circumstances so the margin is low. Also sometimes summon steering turns left and then right, as if trying to feel the environment. So by the time you start looking at the other side, it could have started steering the other direction already.
Unless your garage is narrower than the opening, it shouldn’t be a problem. :)

The wheels sometimes turn left or right before it starts moving, but then as long as you’re not too close when you start it should get it right. I have no idea why it does that, and I decided one day to see what it was going to do, obviously with my finger resting on the fob and could stop it before it moved an inch towards the door jamb, but found it ultimately figured it out.

As far as having to see the other side, again, if you can see one side and watch the front wheels, and see that they are pointing straight, you shouldn’t worry. If you se them turn either way for no reason, hit any fob button and the summon will abort instantly.

However, if you have clutter or shelving along the side walls, all bets are off.

I’d seriously do the slow drive into the garage and watch the IC to determine how the car sees the space. Any anomalies should jump out at you...

My garage is 9’9” wide with some junk hanging on the walls, but nothing that extends far enough that it extends beyond the jamb opening.

Summon is an imperfect implementation (just like autopilot) but I'm still glad I have it for my narrow garage. I use it to back my car out in the third person with my finger on the button. Also I've used empty boxes in spots to guide the car around blindspots like shelves that extend over the height of the proximity sensors.

I would definitely never let it park or back up without watching it.

I know everyone means well on this forum.... and it does suck to summon into something.... but I just can't compare summon to autopilot... Putting the two betas in the same category just doesn't seem fair. One is just all that special.... the other one, is an unbelievable technological achievement. Seriously.... it's awesome. I feel like someone just called my girlfriend fat.

• Funny
Reactions: PhaseWhite