Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon Disconnect (repeatedly)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

2101Guy

Breaker of Ignore Buttons
Jan 6, 2020
USA
2017 Model 90D with EAP and software update performed a week ago. (latest)

Over last month or so, noticed that about75% of the time, when I attempt to use even just the basic forward/reverse summon? Im unsuccessful. I have full cell (and sometimes, wifi if Im home in the driveway) strength and am maybe 20 feet from the car. I press reverse (or forward), light on car come on, car appears to want to start the summon process, then stops, message on my screen says "disconnected" (or something along those lines) and to try again. On About the third attempt, it usually works.

Am I the only one with this issue? Or is this something I need to open a service ticket for? Should I enter the car and press/hold the car icon to save the logs for it when it happens?

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
followup: It was happening regularly enough that I opened a ticket. Worked with Tesla via text to do some testing with them. Turn off wifi on phone, off on car, try inside my garage, outside, away from house, etc. They then sent a mobile ranger out. Really nice guy. We did some more testing while he gathered more data/logging from his laptop. Basically reminded me that all Summon is still Beta, but constantly improving via the updates. Said the car SHOULD ignore wifi and only use the cell. However, we had better test results when wifi was off (we were testing in front of my house/my driveway). Still kept receiving the "disconnect" message, but if I continued to hold the forward or reverse button/ignore the error? With wifi off, the car actually would summon, despite the error.

In the end, he observed the issue, noted it, and said future updates should address/correct the issue.

Reactions: tyseft163
followup: It was happening regularly enough that I opened a ticket. Worked with Tesla via text to do some testing with them. Turn off wifi on phone, off on car, try inside my garage, outside, away from house, etc. They then sent a mobile ranger out. Really nice guy. We did some more testing while he gathered more data/logging from his laptop. Basically reminded me that all Summon is still Beta, but constantly improving via the updates. Said the car SHOULD ignore wifi and only use the cell. However, we had better test results when wifi was off (we were testing in front of my house/my driveway). Still kept receiving the "disconnect" message, but if I continued to hold the forward or reverse button/ignore the error? With wifi off, the car actually would summon, despite the error.

In the end, he observed the issue, noted it, and said future updates should address/correct the issue.
Thanks for the detailed description of events. It's definitely happening to me a lot.

Update: out of the blue, got a text from Tesla saying that they’d like to come out next week to log some additional data/collect more data points. I agreed.

so appears ticket wasn’t closed after all.

I’ve been really pleased overall with my SC.

Might be Bluetooth WiFi interference. They work in same spectrum

Issue got 100% resolved after I went to MCU2
Had a similar situation, although I realized I might have been slightly out of WiFi range (my car got stuck with the driver's door by the garage door opening, so I had to climb in passenger side and tap pedal in reverse from passenger seat...kids don't try that at home).
I'll test it again with WiFi off (new car owner).

Last edited: