Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon doesn't work in underground

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hiroshiy

So in Tokyo many parking structures are built in underground where there is zero GPS signal. With my app Summon works great when the car can see satellites, but it always refuses to work in underground. Is this by design? It doesn't actually make sense because the phone and the car is close by with Bluetooth. My phone shows the error message saying the phone can't decide the location.

Reactions: diesel
Yes, this has also been a problem for me. I'm not sure if it is the phone or the car that needs GPS signal (maybe both?) but in any case, it is not working.

If you have a iPhone, I can recommend buying the app Remote S, I just tried summoning with it this morning, and it works! Which is great because I no longer need to climb over seats to get in and out of my car.

But I'm still hoping Tesla will release summoning by keyfob outside of US at some point.

Reactions: hiroshiy and diesel
Same problem here, underground car park.

Off topic but related... I wonder when (if?) Tesla will fix the GPS so that it can work where there is no signal, as it used to up to 7.0 (IIRC).
When driving into an underground car park, they have the location of the car. They know the speed and direction of the car. Shouldn't be too hard to put those bits of data together to determine location - most OEM systems I have used in the past have somehow managed to do this.

As it is today, when you exit the car park after a few hours, the car thinks it is somewhere else, and it can take a while to lock back on to the GPS signal. This would be a pretty big issue for FSD.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Yes, this has also been a problem for me. I'm not sure if it is the phone or the car that needs GPS signal (maybe both?) but in any case, it is not working.

If you have a iPhone, I can recommend buying the app Remote S, I just tried summoning with it this morning, and it works! Which is great because I no longer need to climb over seats to get in and out of my car.

But I'm still hoping Tesla will release summoning by keyfob outside of US at some point.
Thanks, unfortunately I have an Android phone. But if summoning by Remote S works, that would show that Tesla mobile app is checking the phone's location as it says in the error message, and prevents the app to summon the car. Remote S might not be checking the phone location (possibly by GPS) thus it works.

Thanks, unfortunately I have an Android phone. But if summoning by Remote S works, that would show that Tesla mobile app is checking the phone's location as it says in the error message, and prevents the app to summon the car. Remote S might not be checking the phone location (possibly by GPS) thus it works.

That is a bit unfortunate. But I think that you are right, it must be the app checking it's location, but Remote S doesn't do the same check. I know that the developer is on this forum, so maybe he have some insights.

Whatever the cause, I hope Tesla will work on a fix for it, but it may be a regulatory thing.

You can use the key fob to operate Summon, avoiding the problem of your mobile phone not having a signal.

To do that you need to disable "Require Continuous Press" in Settings. Which of course removes a level of control you have over the car. So be aware of that limitation.

At https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/Model_S_release_notes_7_1_1_us_cn.pdf
QUOTE:
"Use the key fob to Autopark or retrieve Model S: Press and hold the center button on the key fob until the hazard lights flash continuously. While the hazard lights are flashing, press the frunk button once on the key fob to drive Model S forward into the parking space or the trunk button once on the key fob to back Model S into the parking space. Model S will move up to 39 feet or until the sensors detect an obstacle, at which point parking is considered completed and the car will shift to Park."

• Helpful
You can use the key fob to operate Summon, avoiding the problem of your mobile phone not having a signal.

To do that you need to disable "Require Continuous Press" in Settings. Which of course removes a level of control you have over the car. So be aware of that limitation.

At https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/Model_S_release_notes_7_1_1_us_cn.pdf
QUOTE:
"Use the key fob to Autopark or retrieve Model S: Press and hold the center button on the key fob until the hazard lights flash continuously. While the hazard lights are flashing, press the frunk button once on the key fob to drive Model S forward into the parking space or the trunk button once on the key fob to back Model S into the parking space. Model S will move up to 39 feet or until the sensors detect an obstacle, at which point parking is considered completed and the car will shift to Park."
I think that functionality is only available in the US currently. The above users are all from Japan, Sweden and the UK so they can't use the fob to summon their cars.

• Helpful
I think that functionality is only available in the US currently. The above users are all from Japan, Sweden and the UK so they can't use the fob to summon their cars.

Exactly, we (for some reason) can only use the phone at the moment.

I also regret to inform that summoning with Remote S only worked this morning. I just tried to summon the car back into the parking spot when I came home, but only had the error message that the car was to far away.
It may just have been a glitch though, since TeslaFi just reported that I parked my car in Florida o_O I'm sure it's much better spring weather there, but stil...

Thanks for reminding me of that, I had forgotten that was the case.

So in those countries if you don't have a reliable cell data connection between your phone and your car, you can't use Summon.

What is it about laws and regulations in those countries that caused Tesla to not enable fob control over Summon?

Thanks for reminding me of that, I had forgotten that was the case.

So in those countries if you don't have a reliable cell data connection between your phone and your car, you can't use Summon.

What is it about laws and regulations in those countries that caused Tesla to not enable fob control over Summon?
I don't think it is reliable Internet connection, but the GPS signal. In most underground parking structures in Tokyo LTE cellular coverage is good. If the parking is covered or underground, Summon can't be activated. The issue here is that like 80% of the time I park in underground...

Marunouchi.com
Edit: to give you an idea of how they are located, this page shows 21 underground parkings for up to 4800 cars, near Tokyo station. No surface parking in this area.

Last edited: