Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon drives me crazy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2015 model S 85D has the new mcu2 replacement. I have the ranger scheduled to fix my remote unlock via the app.
As well, I noticed the summon failing to connect or authorise correctly. I have the fob in pocket and standing near the car in the garage. App will sometimes delay while trying to improve location, then connect, then immediately abort. Even previously at the best if times it would move one way, then fail to connect to move the car back again. I checked the notification screen under the software tab and found these error messages "key not detected. Drive not authorized. DI_u007" I did send a report to Tesla. Tried rebooting and reloading app on phone too.

I have the same issues after upgrading to the latest MCU and Autopilot Hardware: Summon and Smart Summon do not work, and I can't unlock the vehicle remotely. I get the same error message when attempting to Summon, "Key not detected. Drive not authorized."

A ranger came, and he said the side repeater cameras have still not calibrated, and that is what is causing the issue, but he wasn't able to fix it. The vehicle went through the initial autopilot calibration about 800km ago, so not sure what is going on. He also mentioned that there was a firmware mismatch between the MCU and Autopilot computers preventing them from communicating - so he updated the firmware. Still no luck.

I have another appointment coming up to sort things out.

Has anyone else tried advanced summon lately? I always reverse into my parking spot, but whenever I try to advance summon, it ALWAYS tries to back out of the space. If there’s a car there, it stops and won’t move. Very weird.

I am getting same issue, keyless driving will not work as well, key not detected message (duh), then press brake message. Summon does not work, same error on message center, key not detected. I have the latest software of 2020.32.3

I just took my car in to the Mississauga SC yesterday. They tested it and confirmed remote unlock does not work and summon does not work. Finally at the end of the day they called me and asked me to unlock my car remotely from Hamilton and it worked in Mississauga. Apparently some "root key certificates" had to be re-written/installed again? I think the SC might have forgotten to restore some authentication files after the MCU upgrade. I will find out exactly what it is called again tomorrow morning when I go to pick up my car.

The ranger did send a note to me indicating there have been false positives in the reset being complete after the MCU upgrade, software not quite complete, hence the summon and remote unlock mis-behaving in my case. Something to be aware of before driving out of the service center.

• Informative
Reactions: vraev
I just took my car in to the Mississauga SC yesterday. They tested it and confirmed remote unlock does not work and summon does not work. Finally at the end of the day they called me and asked me to unlock my car remotely from Hamilton and it worked in Mississauga. Apparently some "root key certificates" had to be re-written/installed again? I think the SC might have forgotten to restore some authentication files after the MCU upgrade. I will find out exactly what it is called again tomorrow morning when I go to pick up my car.

Service set for next Friday. Odd they cannot do it remote.

My advanced summon is little more than a gadget. It works on occasion. It will start then disconnect even in the middle of a large parking lot with no obstacles.

Same. The second time it froze in the middle of a parking lot and I had to run over apologizing to the confused person waiting for it was the last time I used it. 100% gimmick. Kinda cool as a demo of potential but definitely not ready for prime-time, or any time.

It's not useful right now, but every time you use, the data collected will help for when autonomous taxi comes in service...much, much later for now. Autonomous will drive to general location of passenger and summon will drive to exact location of passenger.

Yea. I remember the tech said they couldn't remotely gain access to the car either. So without copying the correct "keys" the car cannot be accessed / remotely pushed certain firmware/file updates.

So mobile service updated things and all good. It was the day after the Tesla network outage which left them in a mess. But yes, these type of updates must be done with hardwire, it used to be able to be done remotely, but for obvious security footprint, over the air is no longer an option.