Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon epic failure with 4-post lift

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only had my car for a few days so far, but I've tried a few times to see how successful summon would be for parking under my 4-post lift (Pro Park 8 Plus). So far every attempt has ended the same way; the cars gets itself started going under the lift, and then hooks a turn that would result in smashing a front fender against the lift pole. Had I not stopped the process, it would have been ugly each time.

It seems like the car only cares about things in front of it, and then once that thing is alongside the car it becomes fair game to run into. :/

• Informative
Reactions: William3
I don't have a regular garage, but rather a covered parking spot between a neighboring car with three concrete posts on 3/4 of the corners (and a solid wall on the side opposite the car and behind the poles). I don't find AP2 summon to do anything intelligent when backing into that spot. It just backs straight up until it gets to 12" from a poll or the backstop (essentially a wall) at whatever angle I aligned. I don't see any steering or intelligence.

However, I've heard other people report that AP2 summon actually exhibits intelligence. Perhaps that is when pulling in forward rather than reversing or perhaps it has some recognition for actual garage configurations. One person said that their AP2 summon would even follow a curved drive into the garage, which I find amazing. What I actually need is perpendicular backing into a parking spot, and when perpendicular auto-park becomes available, it is possible that it will work for me, but my constraints are very awkward. Summon is still useful for me, especially for pulling out for loading or simply to get around the car when needed without getting in/out and driving.

What is scary is there is a setting to allow it to back out without you holding the button. I just hope no one tries that function. (Require Continual Press) is a setting that can be turned off :(

One of the first things I did was turn that option off. I found the button on the app to be so unreliable that I couldn't trust it to respond. With that option off, you can use the keyfob for summon and it's much more responsive if you need to stop the car quickly.

With a thread title like this, I was expecting to see someone summon their car while it was up on a lift. :eek:

When I first got 8.1, I disabled "Require Continuous Press" and used the autopark functionality to back the car out of the garage. A few days later, I was assembling some Ikea furniture in the basement and ran upstairs to grab a tool. I found my hatch opened and decided to re-enable "Require Continuous Press" as I figured it could be possible to accidentally summon the car (as we saw with the car that ran into a trailer).

Reactions: jimmyz80
It definitely does a LOT of steering when pulling forward under my lift, but unfortunately it's steering into inanimate objects. I've had it successfully back out a few times, and it does seem to be less aggressive on steering in that direction. Beats me...

I think I'm going to play around with pulling in forward (even though that doesn't really work for me since it is almost impossible to get out of my spot backing up. :D

With a thread title like this, I was expecting to see someone summon their car while it was up on a lift. :eek:

When I first got 8.1, I disabled "Require Continuous Press" and used the autopark functionality to back the car out of the garage. A few days later, I was assembling some Ikea furniture in the basement and ran upstairs to grab a tool. I found my hatch opened and decided to re-enable "Require Continuous Press" as I figured it could be possible to accidentally summon the car (as we saw with the car that ran into a trailer).

Didn't even think about that when I wrote the title. That would be an ugly situation...

As far as the continuous press setting; I've had the same worry as you. I feel like for either option, you're sorta screwed; unresponsive app for one setting, and accidental FOB presses with the other setting.