Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon failed and hit my garage.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just received a text from my wife.

She used summon to back out our two week old Model S which we have done daily since we brought the car home.

This occasion though the car started backing up, stopped and hit the homelink. Instead of waiting for the garage to open up the car started reversing. By the time she realized the car was already reversing it was too late and the car hit the garage door as it was still going up.

I know summon is beta yada yada, but as a new owner I would still like to report the malfunction to Tesla, because unlike AP using summon from outside the garage is a lot harder to keep control.

How do I report the malfunction and to whom should I report it to?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 407
Reactions: gowthamn
Press the voice command button on the steering wheel and say, "report bug", followed by the bug report (what happened, time, etc).

Not sure Tesla reads this.

As in, some people have been told by Tesla that they don't actually read these. While others have said that it does work. Who knows, I'd email them as BertL said.

I wonder if going forward is more robust/safer as opposed to backing up since the front also has the benefit of radar + the camera.

I realize the backup camera is there but I don't think that is utilized by the software for Summon.

I wonder if going forward is more robust/safer as opposed to backing up since the front also has the benefit of radar + the camera.

I realize the backup camera is there but I don't think that is utilized by the software for Summon.

That seems in line with what I observed as well. I back into my garage and was going to use summon to pull forward out of the garage. I initiated the summon, and it did not try to make the garage go up. Luckily, I noticed it quickly and stopped the summon. Otherwise, I believe it would have hit the garage door.

I just want to say thank you to the OP for posting this here. We all get to learn from the misfortune of others. Personally, I don't summon the car out of the garage unless I am right there. I never know, if I have the door open, will homelink activate it and start it closing while the car tries to back out? Or will the car start backing out before the door is all the way up? I'm just fearful...and as such...always stand there with my finger on the button and my foot ready to break the safety beam on the opener.

Putting it away has been uneventful, and I have been getting more trusting. The car pulls up to the door, opens it, puts itself away and closes the door. Never had an issue to date. But like others have posted, that is going in front-first. Not sure if that's a thing or not.

Anyway - to the OP - sorry for the misfortune and thank you for posting.

That seems in line with what I observed as well. I back into my garage and was going to use summon to pull forward out of the garage. I initiated the summon, and it did not try to make the garage go up. Luckily, I noticed it quickly and stopped the summon. Otherwise, I believe it would have hit the garage door.

It should have stopped even if the door didnt open. I've had 80% success rate with my car opening the garage on its first attempt, especially when backing in. When it doesnt open it sees it with the ultrasonics and sits there. After a few seconds it gives up and parks, rather than re attempting.

I believe that Summon uses just the ultrasonic sensors, not either camera,
and not the radar. Further, the sensors might not work at very short
distances, thus not detecting a garage door that is just 2 or 3 inches away
when the car starts to move. So, Summon might think that the door is Open,
and just start moving, and crash. One can test this by putting a cardboard
box 1 or 2 inches in front (or behind) the front (back) sensor, and see if
the moves, hitting the box. Most sonic sensors have a dead zone right
up near the sensor.

On a similar note I use auto close for my garage door. My S is a 2012 and has no sensors. I backed in to my garage instead of nose in and the auto close must have been confused and started closing the garage after I had moved only a few feet. I hotfooted it out and just got under the door before it closed. So car orientation does make a difference in a classic S.

The car was pulled in far to start. It reversed toward the door and then the door opened. The Model S just tried to back out too fast. I have never pulled in front facing before so maybe that extra height was where it went wrong.

My wife is a wreck because of the incident. I did get an email from Tesla apologizing and that they are reviewing the accident and will contact me. I think a little buffing will remove the mark, but I haven't been home to see the damage yet.

Last edited:
Personally, I feel the garage door operation is just to risky. There is no handshake with the current crop of openers.

It would be as easy for it to close the door right on the car if the garage door safety sensors aren't adjusted correctly.

Or lidar that would provide a 3D map.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyF4
This situation is exactly why i turned off auto/close open and will not use summon out of visual range. Too many what if's to bite you. I almost got nailed by the garage door coming home one day when it was already open and auto open/close decided to activate and i wasn't focused to remember to hit skip.

A minor distraction can be an expensive fix.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4