Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon Failed (from app) - Key Fob Battery Too Low

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started getting an error yesterday that my Key Fob battery is low. This is preventing me from not only summoning from the Key Fob, but also from the Phone App; and it is also preventing me from using AutoPark via double tapping Park button.

I pulled both batteries out of both Key Fobs, and load tested them. They are both plenty strong. The Key Fob low battery warning also came up about 5 months ago, and lasted for a couple days, and then magically went away. I never changed the batteries, it just stopped complaining and everything went back to normal.

My biggest gripe here (aside from receiving the warning when the batteries clearly aren't low) is that you are unable to use AutoPark or Summon from the Phone App when the car thinks that your Key Fob battery is low.

I thought I've read on this forum that there are people who never carry their Key Fob at all. I always assumed they could still AutoPark and Summon from the Phone App. If that's true, then why the heck can't I use these features if the car thinks the Key Fob batteries are low? I even tried leaving the Key Fobs in the house, but the car still complained that the battery is low.

The full message on the Phone App states, "Summon Failed. Your key fob battery level is too low."

It appears to be a broken Key Fob issue...

As mentioned above, I had load tested both batteries, and they were both plenty good. I cleaned the contacts on both Key Fobs, and cleaned both batteries, with a foam swab soaked in 91% alcohol. The problem still continued...

Here's what I've learned:
1) The car will complain about a low Key Fob battery if only one or both Key Fobs report a low battery.
2) The car will not distinguish which Key Fob (or both) is reporting the low battery (at least not to you).
3) The car will remember that a Key Fob reported a low battery and continue the error event until the Key Fob reports back that all is well.
4) When you first put a battery into the Key Fob, it will report to the car it's current status (if within range).

Here's how I diagnosed:
Sat in the car with the warning displayed on the IC.
1) Removed both batteries. Quickly inserted both batteries. The warning immediately cleared. Within seconds, the warning reappeared.
2) Removed both batteries. Quickly inserted both batteries. The warning immediately cleared. As soon as the warning cleared, I removed the battery from one of the Key Fobs. Within seconds, the warning reappeared.
3) Removed both batteries. Quickly inserted both batteries. The warning immediately cleared. As soon as the warning cleared, I removed the battery from the other Key Fob. The warning did not reappear.
4) Repeated the above steps, but this time swapping the batteries. The problem still appeared with the same Key Fob.

Conclusion:
The one Key Fobs is malfunctioning.

Side notes:
1) With the malfunctioning Key Fob in the car, at times, the error would randomly clear, and then come back, over and over.
2) The Key Fob experiencing the malfunction has a crack in the top of it. (Picture attached)
Key Fob Broke.jpg

At this point, I wish I could change the thread title, as this thread has way more useful information about a malfunctioning Key Fob, then it does about the fact that you can't use Summon or AutoPark with a Key Fob that has reported a low battery.

Last edited:
I realize this post is to a subject sadly out of date, but... Why does Model X even bother to check for a low key-fob cell when you are attempting to use you phone for Summon? Why doesn't it just look for the signal from the phone, in other words, the cell connection to ATT, which should be more than sufficient to determine where the vehicle is and likewise for the user's location.