Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon failed, there is an issue communicating with your vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a problem that has been happening in the last week or so, since the last update 12.11.1

I use summon to reverse out of my garage fairly often to avoid smacking my door into my wife's car. It used to work most of the time on the first try. Recently it is a three step process. Open app and press summon, hold summon reverse, goes to "preparing summon" (this is the kiss of death, preparing to summons = it's not going to work) it then pauses and eventually says "SUMMON FAILED; there is an issue communicating with your vehicle". (When it is going to work it never says preparing to summon it just flicks on the lights and starts to move)

If I back out of the summon section in the app and go back in, it does the exact same thing, at least one more time, but then, third to fourth try it works 100% of the time. It's like its not fully waking up or something upon first attempts. I do hear it clicking and making sounds as if it is waking and I am standing within five feet of the car. As I mentioned it used to be way more reliable.

Anyone else having this issue lately or any advice on a fix? If it keeps up I plan on submitting a ticket but have a feeling this isn't an isolated incident.

Reactions: Matsayz
This is a problem that has been happening in the last week or so, since the last update 12.11.1

I use summon to reverse out of my garage fairly often to avoid smacking my door into my wife's car. It used to work most of the time on the first try. Recently it is a three step process. Open app and press summon, hold summon reverse, goes to "preparing summon" (this is the kiss of death, preparing to summons = it's not going to work) it then pauses and eventually says "SUMMON FAILED; there is an issue communicating with your vehicle". (When it is going to work it never says preparing to summon it just flicks on the lights and starts to move)

If I back out of the summon section in the app and go back in, it does the exact same thing, at least one more time, but then, third to fourth try it works 100% of the time. It's like its not fully waking up or something upon first attempts. I do hear it clicking and making sounds as if it is waking and I am standing within five feet of the car. As I mentioned it used to be way more reliable.

Anyone else having this issue lately or any advice on a fix? If it keeps up I plan on submitting a ticket but have a feeling this isn't an isolated incident.

Our model S summons is working great but it has not received the most recent software update. Our model 3, summons, was working great until it received the latest software update but now it will not budge more than an inch when trying to summon it out of our garage. I tried using “come to me”/smart summons and it moved a few feet than just stopped. So I think it’s in the software and hopefully they push out a fix soon. I saw on teslafi today that a model 3 just received yet another software update and am hoping it represents a glitch fix for summons

Our model S summons is working great but it has not received the most recent software update. Our model 3, summons, was working great until it received the latest software update but now it will not budge more than an inch when trying to summon it out of our garage. I tried using “come to me”/smart summons and it moved a few feet than just stopped. So I think it’s in the software and hopefully they push out a fix soon. I saw on teslafi today that a model 3 just received yet another software update and am hoping it represents a glitch fix for summons
It moves a few feet for me, then stops, I'm still holding the button, then it waits a few seconds, then continues forward.

Forgot to to come back and update, shortly after my post I decided to have a tech come out and look at it. He first checked to see if it was getting a good wifi signal, which it was as I literally have a Mesh wifi pod sitting within inches and the car itself is within 25 feet of my main route. He tinkered around and ended up doing a hard reset, we kept trying summon from my phone several times as he tinkered. Ended up that the best he could do is get summon to work after failing only one time. So now it works every time on the second try instead of the 3rd or 4th. The tech felt really bad but he tried everything he could that would fix it except for possibly a future update. So I've been patiently waiting for that future update and fix. I am currently on 2020.24.6.4 and it is still a solid second attempt summon car. <sigh>

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclelife
Forgot to to come back and update, shortly after my post I decided to have a tech come out and look at it. He first checked to see if it was getting a good wifi signal, which it was as I literally have a Mesh wifi pod sitting within inches and the car itself is within 25 feet of my main route. He tinkered around and ended up doing a hard reset, we kept trying summon from my phone several times as he tinkered. Ended up that the best he could do is get summon to work after failing only one time. So now it works every time on the second try instead of the 3rd or 4th. The tech felt really bad but he tried everything he could that would fix it except for possibly a future update. So I've been patiently waiting for that future update and fix. I am currently on 2020.24.6.4 and it is still a solid second attempt summon car. <sigh>

Same for me, still only works on the second try!

I experience it too. I press the door handle once it wakes up, then it works.
For me if it fails summon button does not come up.
I have background app refresh off that maybe the reason.