Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon failure - sudden turn as reversing out of garage crushed mirror

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

This morning summoning out of garage, same as every day, car starts to reverse out as normal but then sudden turn crushes the mirror on the garage door and scratches driver side door.

Happened very quickly and looked like it would have continued to scrape side of car had I not stopped it. Seems bug which caused car to suddenly turn as reversing straight and also proximity failure not sensing the side of door.

Model S, AP1, March 2016 in CA. Currently on version 2017.42 a88c8d5

Have summoned out of same garage hundreds of times and this is first time it has had such a random problem, jurking the steering wheel like that and driving into side of garage.
Screenshot_20171208-105752.png

I've reported to Telsa and currently waiting for a call back from Palo Alto Service Center.

I'll update this thread once I hear back and they run some diagnostics.

Pete

i had something similar happen several months ago. I don't use summon as often as you but i used it to back in when i want to charge. I was actually showing off the capability when it suddenly made a turn to the side. I have never fully trusted summon so i was standing by with key in hand and I was able to stop it about an inch from scraping the door. Last time i used summon.

Hi All,

This morning summoning out of garage, same as every day, car starts to reverse out as normal but then sudden turn crushes the mirror on the garage door and scratches driver side door.

Happened very quickly and looked like it would have continued to scrape side of car had I not stopped it. Seems bug which caused car to suddenly turn as reversing straight and also proximity failure not sensing the side of door.

Model S, AP1, March 2016 in CA. Currently on version 2017.42 a88c8d5

Have summoned out of same garage hundreds of times and this is first time it has had such a random problem, jurking the steering wheel like that and driving into side of garage.
View attachment 265348

I've reported to Telsa and currently waiting for a call back from Palo Alto Service Center.

I'll update this thread once I hear back and they run some diagnostics.

Pete
I had this happen to me (I think I was on 2014.42). Summon worked flawlessly for about a year then one time backing out of garage it cut the wheel sharply to the right and scraped driver side front fender. Luckily was able to rub out with no major damage (front is wrapped). Never used summon again. I mentioned the fender damage at the SC when I took car in for yellowed screen replacement and he commented "not too bad" o_O

I'm sure it's just a bug, they will fix it - doesn't concern me about FSD which is inevitable.

They have offered to replace mirror as gesture of goodwill - made it clear that any future damage during summon is on me which is fair enough. It's a good reminder that even if works consistently don't trust 100% until out of beta.

I'm sure it's just a bug, they will fix it - doesn't concern me about FSD which is inevitable.

They have offered to replace mirror as gesture of goodwill - made it clear that any future damage during summon is on me which is fair enough. It's a good reminder that even if works consistently don't trust 100% until out of beta.

Wow! That's the Tesla that I know and love.

Reactions: Ande and pilotSteve
Can someone explain why I would want to summon the car out of the garage? Don't you just get in the car and either put it in reverse or drive and have the wheels straight and just exit the garage slowly and carefully?

Are people just trying to be cool or show off?

I don't get it.

Nice to hear they comped the mirror. How bad was the door panel and your garage frame? The photo looks scary as far as possible damage. We've read a few tales of summons run ins and so we haven't activated it on our car but then we are still parking our car in the driveway at present so no real need right now (typical Calif garage storage what with no basement). Wonder what causes the car to jerk the wheel. So AP1--you're using MobileEye which I thought was pretty rock solid. Thanks for sharing as a reminder to all of us using this feature.

Can someone explain why I would want to summon the car out of the garage? Don't you just get in the car and either put it in reverse or drive and have the wheels straight and just exit the garage slowly and carefully?

I don't get it.

My garage is so narrow that summon is easier. Once in, I can barely get the driver's side door open and have to do the limbo to get in and out.

I don't get it.

Why? Because my garage is narrow and my car is wide. And after passing through the door (when pulling in), I turn the car slightly to enable opening of the doors. Consequently, when I back out, it is not a straight shot. And even though I am careful most of the time, with previous cars, I have knocked the side view mirrors off, more times than I want to admit. So I always use Summon to back my Model S out, while I stand nearby, clicker in hand, ready to abort should something go amiss.

But it is also a great feature to impress neighbors and friends. Puts a smile on my face every time. Why else would I buy a $100K car?

Cost me $3,200 ... husband used summons (no one in car) it hit a pole in a parking structure. Rather embarrassing around family members ... car was less than 3 months old. After taking car in, several emails -Tesla states my fault. We will not use summons anymore ... still figuring out what I need to do. It put a damper on my Tesla Experience.

My garage is so narrow that summon is easier. Once in, I can barely get the driver's side door open and have to do the limbo to get in and out.

Yes same reason for me. The model S is a big car and in a small garage it is easier to summon in and out, great feature but I recommend you don't trust it 100%, be ready to stop it in a split second if it decides to turn the wheel when you want it to go straight. It was most likely a shadow the camera thought was an object

Cost me $3,200 ... husband used summons (no one in car) it hit a pole in a parking structure. Rather embarrassing around family members ... car was less than 3 months old. After taking car in, several emails -Tesla states my fault. We will not use summons anymore ... still figuring out what I need to do. It put a damper on my Tesla Experience.

Sorry to hear that. I think for me it was a shadow that the camera thought was an object and turned into the side. I might have prevented if I was quicker to react but I do the same summon every day and never had a problem before. I'm confident it will keep getting better and these are rare cases.

Nice to hear they comped the mirror. How bad was the door panel and your garage frame? The photo looks scary as far as possible damage. We've read a few tales of summons run ins and so we haven't activated it on our car but then we are still parking our car in the driveway at present so no real need right now (typical Calif garage storage what with no basement). Wonder what causes the car to jerk the wheel. So AP1--you're using MobileEye which I thought was pretty rock solid. Thanks for sharing as a reminder to all of us using this feature.

Just light scatch on door I was able to polish out and no damage to garage. I caught it just in time before it go worse but after the mirror crunched. I think it was a shadow which the camera thought was an object and turned to avoid. They reviewed the car logs so must have concluded it was a bug but I'm sure this is rare.

Reactions: SMAlset
Theory from following a few of these and observing Nicki:
Nicki is blind to the side from the front of the doors to the back of the doors while using summon. The cameras are not used, only the sensors in the bumpers. When she gets past the garage door backing out she stops seeing the opening and since my garage is wider than the door opening she can turn and come close (never hit it) until the front sensor picks up the opening and she corrects for the opening again. I have shelving that is full on the other side and she always knows that distance as it is the same as the garage opening.