TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Summon Failure?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Calaban, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Calaban

Calaban Member

OK we have only had our car for a couple weeks and I decided to try the summon feature to back the car out of my garage and back along the straight driveway towards me. The garage parking spot is level but once out the driveway slopes down from the garage gently. Its not steep by any means - walking along it you hardly would notice.

The car moves backward out of the garage and part way down towards me about half a car length out then aborts saying that the slope is too great.

I know the manual says that summon is for flat ground, but really! To be useful it needs to be able to handle a shallow incline. Many people have driveways slope for drainage and often at a much greater incline than mine.

I wonder if we can expect this feature to improve in the future?

2. Nogasmn

Nogasmn Member

I assume it will improve over time, but for the time being it is mostly a party trick. My gripe with it, my garage faces south so when entering there is always a shadow during the day and at the right times of day summon can't handle the fact that its going from a sunny area to a dark area and just doesn't work. It moves forward an inch then thinks and then aborts. However it has worked flawlessly the few times I have had to pull the car in/out due to mud/snow/ice where I parked, with no shadows to confuse it.

3. Ilikestuff

Ilikestuff Member

At least it now tells you that the slope is too much. It used to just fail without telling you why it is failing. I had to figure out it's because of the slope of my driveway.

4. Fresnel

Fresnel Member

could be worse. It could be failing by rubbing against the side of the garage door as it pulls out.

• Funny x 1