Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon Feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ngogas

Sep 19, 2018
Utah
Has anyone tried this? I have this enabled in the m3 and curious to try it out trying to back the car out of my garage. The app under summons keeping saying connecting to car and after awhile, times out. What is wrong?

It's super flaky on the 3 at the moment and requires a good, low-latency internet connection for both the car and the phone. You may find that force quitting the mobile app and re-opening when the car wakes up can help, but this might just be confirmation bias.

Hopefully when the fob becomes available, it allows direct-connection Summon like the S & X.

When mine has trouble connecting, usually force quitting the app once or twice seems to fix it. It either connects in under 5 seconds or I force quit and try again. I won't usually wait a long time for the connection to happen.

As above, could be confirmation bias but I've never not had it work after force quitting a maximum of two times.

Has anyone tried this? I have this enabled in the m3 and curious to try it out trying to back the car out of my garage. The app under summons keeping saying connecting to car and after awhile, times out. What is wrong?
Yea mine has been really flakey too. I'm thinking it will improve in future updates.

Yeah, agree with all: Summon is the flakiest of the EAP features by far, and solely due to connectivity issues. My Summon worked just fine with firmware 24.8 at delivery and for one or two updates thereafter. But on 36.2, all bets are off. The car has not once executed a successful Summon operation into nor out of my garage since 36.2 was applied. I’ve got an iPhone6 and an iPhone SE, both of which worked before but no longer. Both upgraded to iOS12...no difference. Tesla app upgraded to v3.6.0...no difference.

At this point, I just do a voice bug report each time. Though apparently hopeless, I still try it every couple of days or so.

I don’t have EAP and no, Summon is a standard feature on all M3s. I confirmed this with Tesla Support. Don’t know if it’s a coincidence or whether it’s related, but I lost the feature after the EAP trial ended.

I don’t have EAP and no, Summon is a standard feature on all M3s. I confirmed this with Tesla Support. Don’t know if it’s a coincidence or whether it’s related, but I lost the feature after the EAP trial ended.

Summon is part of EAP. I didn’t pay for EAP. Experienced it during the trial and had Summon then. Now trial is gone and so is Summon.

Last edited:
Tesla Support tends to get things wrong. Summon is most definitely part of EAP.
enhanced ap summon.png

I use summon 2+ times per day (my wife parks super close to the center line in the garage). While I am always able to use it, as others have said, it is super flaky. Normally has connections issues, and when it finally does connect, often times pressing forward/reverse results in the car powering on, lights turn on, fans turn on, and then everything turns off without the car moving. May have to do this a few times to get it work. Frequently have connection errors (app connecting to the car, or proximity sensor errors. It basically works on the first try maybe 15% of the time, but I am able to use it to put my car in the garage or take it out 100% of the time. I keep wondering when I am going to have to go in to the car through the trunk, put the seats down and climb into the front seat to take the car out of the garage because it doesn't work (I guess I could just back my wife's car out to make room too).

i use it all the time going into and out of the garage. I have two little ones and the garage just isnt wide enough to have both doors wide open to strap them in or put carrier in.

i used to hate it with a passion because of it's shoddy reliability but I found out if the app is not connecting, I would remedy it by turning on airplane mode for a sec and then back off. this method works all the time for me. has something to do with resetting/reconnecting the connection.

I flip my wi-fi off and on from my phone and then it connects. The part that sucks is that most of the time that I use summon it is when I am showing someone else the car. It loses some of the awesome factor when it takes twice as long to connect as it would to back out the car myself.

I flip my wi-fi off and on from my phone and then it connects. The part that sucks is that most of the time that I use summon it is when I am showing someone else the car. It loses some of the awesome factor when it takes twice as long to connect as it would to back out the car myself.
I run into the same issue. I normally don't mention I am showing them summon at all. Just observe and talk about the car while I am attempting to summon it with the app. This way they don't know it didn't work a handful of times....they just see it working once it moves.

Reactions: TT97 and Abstrakt1
I tried Summon for the first time today. At first the phone app would not connect to the car and gave a Server Error. I realized that I had not rebooted my iPhone since updating the Tesla app a few days ago. So I hard rebooted my phone.

Summon has connected three times in a row now. I backed the car out of my carport and on to the driveway. It worked fine the two times I tried it. This will be a nice feature during rains as the carport is detached from the house and I can summon the car next to the house.