TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Summon from Key Fob - working or not?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Ascot, Apr 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ascot

Ascot Member

I have an MS 2015 85D on 8.1 and have been using Summon from my iPhone without too many problems, sometimes it fails to engage but generally works as long as the car is unlocked and I have the key nearby. However, I have read that the Key Fob is also a method of engaging Summon and I can't get my MS to respond when attempting this.

I've held the key fob roof down until the indicators flash then press either trunk or frunk to move forwards or reverse, with no results the car doesn't respond.

Also, in my Driver Assistance settings I have Summon turned on and in 'Customise' I have only distance and width settings as options, no 'turn on' key fob as I might expect.

Many help gratefully received... or a simple message that the key fob option is disabled by TMC.

Thanks in advance :)

2. JasJ

JasJ Member

• Like x 3
  3. Ascot

Ascot Member

Thanks JasJ - really useful.

However, I do not have the 'require continuous press' icon in my customers screen for some reason? I only have Bumper Clearance, Side Clearance and Summon Distance options.

Also, the release notes suggest I can edit the car and then it parks itself... is this an option available to me?

4. Ascot

Ascot Member

Sorry - typo's got me... customers screen - customise screen and edit the car - exit the car

5. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.34 2448cfc

I think summon via keyfob is only available in the US for now.

6. Ascot

Ascot Member

Thanks MorrisonHiker, that clears it up.

Any thoughts on the option to activate auto park after exiting the car? I'd be thrilled to stand on the kerb and watch the car park itself !!

7. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.34 2448cfc

I think that option is only available in the US currently as well. It's the first thing I tested in 8.1 but I had to make the "continuous press" changes mentioned above to enable it. There are probably legal reasons that it hasn't been enabled in the UK so far. Hopefully they add that functionality for other countries eventually.

8. Ascot

Ascot Member

Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye on future release notes.

This really does sound like an amazing development. I really like the idea of jumping out and letting the car do its 'thing' to park up.

9. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

My key fob is cranky. But yes, I must have the continuous press off to work. It's still cranky. But the passers-by simply love it!

10. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

I am in Canada, and do not have the continuous press option, it appears to be default on with no way to turn off.

11. oktane

oktane Active Member

Is it safe to use the keyfob? When I try using my cell phone, there is a bit of lag between when I let go of the button and the car stops heading for the side of my garage door. I'm worried that if I use the keyfob method I might not be able to stop the car in time from crashing and causing substantial damage to my car and house. I have also been too scared to test this in a parking lot at work. I would feel awkward explaining to coworkers how I damaged their car playing with my car.

Which scenarios does Summon work reliably where I can actually use the features as advertised?

12. JasJ

JasJ Member

Key fob works perfectly for me. Close to instant response to stop motion.

• Informative x 1
  13. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Using the phone is not as responsive -- the signal has to go from the phone to the phone carrier to the internet to wifi or cell connection on the car and the car responds. The fob is a direct link.

14. oktane

oktane Active Member

Agreed, I guess I was more worried about fumbling to hit the correct button on the key to stop motion as opposed to simply letting go. Is the operation similar to AP1 cars? If so I'll just lookup a YouTube demonstration on how to use it.

15. Dave Davies

Dave Davies Member

I wish they would enable it in the UK, I used it in the US on holiday and it is so much faster than faffing around with the iPhone