Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon functionality - "key phone within range"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suddenly have access to what seems to be the full autonomous driving package - I have access to autopark, autodrive and summon (part of the general beta release made available to everyone I've read about perhaps?) I've managed to get autopark and autodrive to work but no luck with the Summon functionality. For a start I find the instructions/UI unintuitive; in the Tesla app I tap on Summon and then get a car icon with "Smart Summon" in the middle of the icon, plus Forward/Reverse below. It tells me to press and hold a direction button to start Summon but when I do it says "Preparing to Summon" but nothing else happens for a while, then after a while I get a message saying "Summon Failed - Please ensure phone key is within range of your vehicle". I've got bluetooth turned on and am maybe 5 metres away from the car. There's a connection between my app and the car because all the other functions (open car etc) work fine. Is it complaining about the fact that my car and the app can't communicate? How are they trying to communicate - via bluetooth? If so as I say that's turned on.

When I tap on Smart Summon meanwhile it goes to another screen which seems to show where I am in a circle and where my car is as a red arrow. It's got a button that says "Go to Target"; if I tap and hold that again nothing happens and then after a while I get the same message as above.

I guess I've got two questions - why do I have the Forward/Reverse icons but when I tap on Smart Summon I get a different interface? And secondly, why does nothing work - what's stopping my car from communicating with my app (if that's what the problem is?) Thanks for any pointers.

The only beta release of FSD that's available to everyone is the one you have to pay for. The limited FSD City Streets beta is not widely available yet, and that is only available to people who purchased FSD, not everyone.

I can't explain how you suddenly got access to those features, unless you purchased EAP, which is available in Europe but not here in the US.

I've read that Summon now requires the phone to be detected via Bluetooth in order to function, but that might be in Europe only. You didn't say which Tesla model you have, so if it's not a 3 or Y, make sure Bluetooth is enabled on your phone and pair it with the car.

Regular Summon just goes forward and backward, Enhanced Summon is completely different. I suggest you read the manual to learn more about those features before you try to use them. They're far from perfect, so don't expect much.

The only beta release of FSD that's available to everyone is the one you have to pay for. The limited FSD City Streets beta is not widely available yet, and that is only available to people who purchased FSD, not everyone.

I can't explain how you suddenly got access to those features, unless you purchased EAP, which is available in Europe but not here in the US.

I've read that Summon now requires the phone to be detected via Bluetooth in order to function, but that might be in Europe only. You didn't say which Tesla model you have, so if it's not a 3 or Y, make sure Bluetooth is enabled on your phone and pair it with the car.

Regular Summon just goes forward and backward, Enhanced Summon is completely different. I suggest you read the manual to learn more about those features before you try to use them. They're far from perfect, so don't expect much.
Thanks - I haven't paid for anything so no idea how I got all the additional functionality!

I did some more searching and now understand the difference between Summon and Smart Summon. I still think the UI is clumsy in the app but there you go.

I also got both to work in the end by actually sitting in the car as someone on another thread suggested. Summon works ok if I'm outside the car standing right next to it, but Smart Summon really doesn't work unless I'm actually in the car. Which obviously defeats the objective. It's a Model 3 so I'm using the app with bluetooth turned on rather than a key fob. The bluetooth connection range seems to be ca 7 metres - up to that distance the other bluetooth functions seem to work (opening the car etc), but not Smart Summon, and for Summon to work I can't be further than a metre or so away.

So overall a fun idea but the implementation isn't there yet it seems.

Thanks - I haven't paid for anything so no idea how I got all the additional functionality!

I did some more searching and now understand the difference between Summon and Smart Summon. I still think the UI is clumsy in the app but there you go.

I also got both to work in the end by actually sitting in the car as someone on another thread suggested. Summon works ok if I'm outside the car standing right next to it, but Smart Summon really doesn't work unless I'm actually in the car. Which obviously defeats the objective. It's a Model 3 so I'm using the app with bluetooth turned on rather than a key fob. The bluetooth connection range seems to be ca 7 metres - up to that distance the other bluetooth functions seem to work (opening the car etc), but not Smart Summon, and for Summon to work I can't be further than a metre or so away.

So overall a fun idea but the implementation isn't there yet it seems.
Do you have location services enabled for the app? Seems like the app thinks your car is too far away? IIRC Summon on the phone uses the data connection not BT, the fob Summon uses BT.

The key fob is not a Bluetooth device, it uses radio frequencies. From what I’ve read, the use of Bluetooth for Summon from the app is just to establish distance from the car, but the Summon command might still be going through the internet like other commands from the app.

Where does it say Bluetooth in that document? The S and X fob are definitely not Bluetooth devices, and I’m pretty sure the 3/X fob isn’t either. There’s no Bluetooth pairing involved in setting up a key fob in the 3/Y, you do it the same way you set up a key card.

Where does it say Bluetooth in that document? The S and X fob are definitely not Bluetooth devices, and I’m pretty sure the 3/X fob isn’t either. There’s no Bluetooth pairing involved in setting up a key fob in the 3/Y, you do it the same way you set up a key card.
NFC operating frequency 13.57Mhz Bluetooth Operation 2400Mhz it is in the Declarations of conformity, which I linked. Standard RF fob is 315Mhz. Until the refreshed cars ship the S is the only model that doesn't use BLE/BT for the fob. The X supports BLE (also found in the conformity page of the X owners manual).

NFC operating frequency 13.57Mhz Bluetooth Operation 2400Mhz it is in the Declarations of conformity, which I linked. Standard RF fob is 315Mhz. Until the refreshed cars ship the S is the only model that doesn't use BLE/BT for the fob. The X supports BLE (also found in the conformity page of the X owners manual).

Thanks for that detailed explanation. Is there a difference between operating on a Bluetooth frequency and supporting the Bluetooth protocol? In other words, if I had a Model X, 3, or Y key fob (I don’t), would I see it listed as a Bluetooth device if I checked the Bluetooth settings on my iPhone?

Thanks for that detailed explanation. Is there a difference between operating on a Bluetooth frequency and supporting the Bluetooth protocol? In other words, if I had a Model X, 3, or Y key fob (I don’t), would I see it listed as a Bluetooth device if I checked the Bluetooth settings on my iPhone?
Some folks claimed that you could see the fob in a BT scan, I haven’t tried, though I do have the newer “passive entry” fob for my Model 3. I know on iPhone it wouldn’t show up, as Apple is really strict on what devices the phone sees. Maybe I’ll look on an Android device when I have the chance.