Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon garage accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night my wife summoned her Model 3 into the garage next to my X. She says it stopped about half way in as usual due to losing LTE. She said when the connection recovered and she got it to resume the car lurched forward, breaking the 2x4 that supports the shelf above the nose of the car.

Just got 2019.28.3 yesterday morning.
20190820_201629.jpg
20190820_201629.jpg

Attachments

• 20190820_203506.jpg
    20190820_203506.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 20190820_202141.jpg
    20190820_202141.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 87
This behavior seems normal. It sounds like the car was summoned into the 2x4. Cars are strong! I assume Summon is being used in continuous press mode (aka "Sane" mode)?

Very fortunate the shelving did not collapse on the car (looks like it might soon though!). I would definitely unweight those shelves immediately if you have not already done so! And remove both vehicles and the bicycle from the garage...

Sorry for the event; looks like the car did not sustain any significant damage which is good. (I can't really tell...not sure whether there is a significant dent in the hood or if that's the lighting...looks like lighting). 2x4s are really cheap!

Last edited:
Sorry this happened to you. Did the car really 'lurch' forward though? Whenever I used summon, it never lurched, almost painfully slow crawl actually.

If the car can now lurch when starting summon, then we may have finally solved the countless posts about 'Sudden Unexpected Acceleration' :p

• Funny
Reactions: calidreamz808
I just would like to know:

1) Was Require Continuous Press enabled or disabled?

2) Was Summon started from inside the vehicle? (Would need Require Continuous Press to be disabled to do so.)

3) What was Bumper Clearance and Side Clearance set to?

Were the blankets there when the collision occurred?
I wonder if soft surfaces like blankets are undetectable by the ultrasonics?
Of course a 2x4 is likely undetectable if it's between two sensors.
I'm sure "Smart Summon" will solve these problems. haha.

continuous press or don't use it IMO. :)

Honesty, even with continuous press - there IS a delay when you come off the button. So the car is moving, you come off the button, the car will still move a fair few inches forward before it realizes you let go. It’s a bit scary when there’s a parking curb you’re trying to get close to without hitting it.

Does summon really need LTE/Wi-fi/Internet to work?

When using the phone key at least, yes. I know nothing about the requirements with the key fob. The phone at a minimum must have internet access (I assume the car must as well, but I don't know). If you turn on your phone's Airplane Mode, but leave Bluetooth on, you cannot use Summon - but you can still open your car, no problem.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam and WilliamG
Uh, my stupid question time...…. that is a big wide garage. Why use summon anyway? Looks like plenty of room to get out of the car.

As a side note, I noticed the end of the wall charger cable under the rear tire. What's going to happen when she backs out of the garage and runs over that ? :eek:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TomB985