Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think homelink is pretty pointless for summon in Australia. You have to be next to car, so you might as well open the door too.
My remote struggles to work through the windscreen, other than through that tiny spot near the rear view mirror. Homelink or a digital app would be fantastic, and is a seperate item to summon. For many of us garage door opening was promised at sale, so an expectation exists.

- - - Updated - - -

Just got a software update notice. Hoping it 7.1.1.
Came though on the 85. Nothing for the 85D yet.

I THINK I AM THE HAPPIEST MAN ALIVE!!!

The summon feature not only works at home in our very tight car port, but it also works in my VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY TIGHT SPOT at work.... so tight in fact that I have previously scratched the car and always worried about driving to work in the morning. In fact the spot is so tight that I would have to leave the car jutting out every day because I could not get the front door open if I moved back (as it would hit the pillar). But tonight, my wife and I went for a drive into the city and we tried out the spot. It worked first go!!! I am absolutely astonished. I never expected the car to do it because every time I did it, the sensors were always screaming at me STOP STOP STOP... But the summons feature rightfully ignores these warnings too. Anyway, I took some pictures: (not sure about the orientation of my iPhone)...

IMG_0544.JPG
IMG_0545.JPG

I really am thankful to Tesla for this update. Even my wife said I should send Elon Musk a thank you email! I don't know his email address, but I thought I would post my appreciation here!

G'night!

How precisely do you have to line it up with the spot Ztrekus? Will it find the 'entrance' ok if it's a bit off?

Well since it worked first go, I can't really say.... But when you line it up in reverse, you do have the two white lines in the centre screen... So I lined those up as best I could. Having said that, the spot STILL requires you to massage in because the car is forced to come in at an angle as the front wall is too close, I mean the Tesla is a pretty massive car.. Also it is just hard to drive in a straight line backwards when you face sudden death on either side... It really was a relief to see the car just take it on in... I am still on a high!

Just been trying it out as well. Quite amazing to watch your car become a remote controlled toy. It appears to self centre itself between a column and the other tesla. Was having a telstra reception issue on my phone, which got very annoying, so giving it a miss 'til tomorrow. I like BenT's suggestion of the bollards.
I think my tyres will like summon. Dont test them enough as the low valve is not good on the bad knee. Now I can just roll the car back a bit.
Notification has just come through on the 85D.

Hi ZTrekus.....your park gives me hope...looks like exactly what I want to achieve...really close on one side and lots more clearance on the other....what I'd like to know is why the car didn't attempt dead centre and instead went really close on the column side?

-ECIT

Hi ZTrekus.....your park gives me hope...looks like exactly what I want to achieve...really close on one side and lots more clearance on the other....what I'd like to know is why the car didn't attempt dead centre and instead went really close on the column side?

-ECIT

I guess a lot depends on the initial line up, and if the wiggle room is not so great, then going straight back becomes a better option than centring the back at the expense of pranging the front.

- - - Updated - - -

Just been trying it out as well. Quite amazing to watch your car become a remote controlled toy. It appears to self centre itself between a column and the other tesla. Was having a telstra reception issue on my phone, which got very annoying, so giving it a miss 'til tomorrow. I like BenT's suggestion of the bollards.
I think my tyres will like summon. Dont test them enough as the low valve is not good on the bad knee. Now I can just roll the car back a bit.
Notification has just come through on the 85D.

I had connection issues too and I believe I have solved the problem. My guess is you were trying it out at your garage/carport which is at the outer rim of your wifi signal for your home. And so both your car and your phone are changing over between 3G and wifi during the summon manoeuvre which of course stuffs it up. I did two not so drastic things for the time being:
1. Get your Tesla to forget your home wifi; and
2. Turn on the feature to use 3G to support a weak wifi signal on your iPhone.
They solved the home connection issues. Work of course was not a problem.

Has anyone tried RegoApps' Remote S app with Summon?

I tried but a message pops up that says that Tesla's servers are overloaded. Emailed RegoApps and they said to turn off the in car setting for continuous press. But it doesn't look like we have that setting due to some additional restrictions present in Australia.

Emailed him back to see what they say. Maybe they can update the app to support Australia's Summon. Would be nice to Summon from your Apple Watch.

A SUGGESTION TO IMPROVE SUMMONS IN THE NEXT UPDATE - IN AUSTRALIA

I have now used this feature extensively and I really love it. I use it at home and at work and I find it indispensable. There are a few teething problems though. A major one is a connection issue between the phone, the key fob and the car all acting simultaneously. I presume this has been requested by the Australian authorities, because if the car was put in summons mode directly from a double click of the park-brake (like the US) or directly from the key fob alone (like the US) then perhaps it is too easy to let the car run away with itself or in the case of the fob, for a child to move the car. Well whatever the reason, the current version needs:

1. The fob to be within communication distance to the car; and
2. The phone to be within 3m of the car; and
3. The person to hold down the forward or reverse on the phone.

All that is well and good, but the moment there is a break in the signal, the thing aborts. And when it aborts, it goes through a cancellation procedure (which takes a good minute) and then when you re-connect, it takes another minute to start-up again. That can be terribly frustrating when the car is left jutting out of the spot.

So presuming you have to have all three in use to satisfy the Aussie powers, I would suggest the following:

1. The phone be within 3 m of the car; and
2. Use the phone to initiate or unlock the summons feature (ie an initial activation) - this can stay active for say 30 seconds or so (even if there is a subsequent internet break in the signal); and
3. Then use the key fob (instead of the phone) to hold down the move forward or backwards motion like the US.

That way - any short term break in the internet 3G signal would not be a problem MID-MANOEUVRE....and you can still stop the car in the event of emergency in the same way - ie let go of the fob!

I hope someone at Tesla is actively feeling out the implementation in Australia (insofar as it differs from the US) and can actively update the feature. For my part, I think it would be a vast improvement.

What do you guys reckon??

What's RegoApps? I couldn't find it in the Apple store....

-ECIT

It’s listed as Remote S for Tesla. I tried Summon with Remote S and it returned an error stating “Command failed - unavailable”

Looking at the car while Summon is in progress, it’s obviously making some fairly rigorous steering adjustments so while it’s probably not going to negotiate a curved driveway yet, it seems to be lining the car up for an optimal pathway into the garage. Regardless, my driveway is so narrow and the Model S is such a behemoth that I’m still going to have to demolish & rebuild a low garden wall to get it inside the garage.

ZTrekus - I totally agree - I was about to say much the same.

A SUGGESTION TO IMPROVE SUMMONS IN THE NEXT UPDATE - IN AUSTRALIA

I have now used this feature extensively and I really love it. I use it at home and at work and I find it indispensable. There are a few teething problems though. A major one is a connection issue between the phone, the key fob and the car all acting simultaneously. I presume this has been requested by the Australian authorities, because if the car was put in summons mode directly from a double click of the park-brake (like the US) or directly from the key fob alone (like the US) then perhaps it is too easy to let the car run away with itself or in the case of the fob, for a child to move the car. Well whatever the reason, the current version needs:

1. The fob to be within communication distance to the car; and
2. The phone to be within 3m of the car; and
3. The person to hold down the forward or reverse on the phone.

All that is well and good, but the moment there is a break in the signal, the thing aborts. And when it aborts, it goes through a cancellation procedure (which takes a good minute) and then when you re-connect, it takes another minute to start-up again. That can be terribly frustrating when the car is left jutting out of the spot.

So presuming you have to have all three in use to satisfy the Aussie powers, I would suggest the following:

1. The phone be within 3 m of the car; and
2. Use the phone to initiate or unlock the summons feature (ie an initial activation) - this can stay active for say 30 seconds or so (even if there is a subsequent internet break in the signal); and
3. Then use the key fob (instead of the phone) to hold down the move forward or backwards motion like the US.

That way - any short term break in the internet 3G signal would not be a problem MID-MANOEUVRE....and you can still stop the car in the event of emergency in the same way - ie let go of the fob!

I hope someone at Tesla is actively feeling out the implementation in Australia (insofar as it differs from the US) and can actively update the feature. For my part, I think it would be a vast improvement.

What do you guys reckon??

My suggestion is to use wifi for the phone to communicate with the car, not Internet or phone. That way it will work even deep underground in a car park.
Yup, two good approaches to making this feature practical.
regards / thanks