TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Summon in new vehicles

Discussion in 'Model S' started by suresv, Jan 8, 2020.

1. suresv

suresv Member

Just took delivery of a new long range Model S (no FSD) and I noticed that there is no Summon option in the mobile app (I see that in my model X and my other two model 3s). I don’t see Summon option in the car as well under Autopilot - has something changed? If we don’t buy FSD we don’t get even the basic summon (like I have in my 2016 Model X)?

2. mbhforum

mbhforum Active Member

I am wondering the same thing. I use Summon to get my car in and out of my garage with my 2015 85D, I am getting my 2019 SR without FSD this weekend...

3. SoCal Buzz

SoCal Buzz Supporting Member

No Summon without FSD for new cars.

Full Self-Driving Capability
    • Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
    • Auto Lane Change: automatic lane changes while driving on the highway.
    • Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
    • Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.

• Informative x 2
  4. mbhforum

mbhforum Active Member

I thought they distinguished between Advanced Summon and Summon? I guess not. Still not paying 7k. Not yet.

• Like x 1
  5. suresv

suresv Member

With you on this - not paying $7k yet. It is kind of a bummer though that my old car that is almost four years old has features that the new car doesn’t

• Like x 1
  6. mattack4000

mattack4000 Active Member

Umm your old car likely cost more money

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  7. IchDochNicht

IchDochNicht Member

I was equally surprised when I got to drive a Raven Performance recently. The ability to move it out of a parking space when someone parked to close or it's tight otherwise should be standard - just forward/backward is enough. Finding me on a parking lot is a different level and not something I'd expect without the FSD option.

They also took out the self parking option. I rarely use it with my AP1 car (never quite figured out when it becomes available - most often it does not). So I won't miss that too much.

But basic forward/backward summon? C'mon!

• Like x 1
  8. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

Agreed. No FSD needed, but simple Summon + Lane changing with turn signal would be most welcome by most all owners.

• Like x 1
  9. aerodyne

aerodyne Active Member

No, I bought it used! Got sunroof and leather too!! But I do have to put up with chargegate Regengate and such...

10. mbhforum

mbhforum Active Member

Wait - non FSD doesn’t include lane changing either? I might have to rethink this 7k as I do use summon and lane changing regularly. I thought it was just automatic lane changing with navigation was what FSD was required for?

• Funny x 1
  11. Jan Fiala

Jan Fiala Member

You are not missing anything as it is a pretty useless feature at least in Europe. Either it doesn't connect to the car at all, or the car doesn't move, or it moves and stops. Instead of trying again and again to finally succeed after one minute, its much easier to squeeze yourself into the car and drive out manually. Its a shame. One of top features which shows inability of Tesla to do things right.

• Disagree x 1
  12. SoCal Buzz

SoCal Buzz Supporting Member

That point is a bit unclear. The FSD language states automatic lane changes while driving, which leads me to wonder what happens if you manually request a lane change while on Autopilot.

13. Jhelin

Jhelin Member

The language under "Autopilot Included" on the order page makes it sound like manually requesting a lane change wont work without FSD.

14. suresv

suresv Member

It definitely did - I got one of the P90D in 2016 - I can get a fully loaded car for that price now. But that is not the point - when I bought this new car, it said it included Autopilot and I paid for it - For me Autopilot always included basic summon (based on my old car which didn't have AP2 hw etc) - it seems like some language change reclassifying features has the current situation in hand. Bummer that this wasn't very clear to folks ordering

15. Jhelin

Jhelin Member

That was "Enhanced Autopilot".

16. mattack4000

the option is there now under fsd, I am not sure where the confusion is? They repackage the options, made the car cheaper and you are complaining? I don’t get it. I paid $5k for eap, I will give up the summon and lane change for my $5k

• Like x 1
  17. suresv

suresv Member

Eh - I am not complaining. I am just bummed. I consider myself a reasonable expert in ordering Tesla cars (have bought 5 of them) - just wasn't clear to me that there was a difference between Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot and FSD. I clearly missed the change.

18. suresv

suresv Member

Hmm not true for my P90D - I don't believe there was no enhanced Autopilot then (2016 - AP1 hardware) and it has basic summon and parallel parking

19. Jhelin

Jhelin Member

My bad, It was actually called just "Autopilot" while AP1 were sold.

20. mattack4000

Still cost $2k more I believe