TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Summon into garage stopped by small step

Discussion in 'Model S' started by dckiwi, Sep 23, 2016.

1. dckiwi

dckiwi Member

My garage floor (like many) is a little higher than the driveway, with a small 'lip' at the entrance. I haven't measured it but it looks like about 1/2 inch.

When I use summon to park my Model S in the garage, it will move forward until the first set of tires hit this ridge (I've tried both forward and reverse). It pauses there for a while, and (almost every time) it gives up and cancels the operation. On one occasion it did move forward after hitting the lip. After it cancels, I can just re-activate summon and it will continue into the garage.

Anyone else experience this? Any known workarounds? Thanks

2. Bishop

Bishop Member

i have the same problem mine will pull out of the garage but pulling back in it stops as soon as it hit thats step ( and this is in a model x where you would think the extra weight would solve that )

im thinking of using LED lighting in my drive way as lane markers so i can use autopark but that will be if i get bored

3. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

Autopark relies on the presence of other cars in the adjacent spaces, not the painted lines, so this won't work, sorry.
    As for the orignal problem, yeah my car can't get over the lip on my garage either. I've thought of adding a short ramp up.

4. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

Wow, this is still a problem? I'd forgotten all about this as I've given up on Summon other than as a party trick. Sigh

5. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

I still use it to pull out.

6. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

If your step is really as big as 1/2" you might actually have an easier time addressing this. See if you can find 1/2" triangular dowling
    at a lumber yard or home improvement store and put an 18-24" piece about where the wheels go. I'd try initially with duck tape
    holding them in place. If that solves the problem use epoxy to hold them down. If you can't find triangular downling but you have
    basic woodworking skills and a suitable saw you can buy 1/2" square dowling and split it diagonally.

If a 1/2" ramp is still too steep you can try crafting a larger triangle with a smaller angle, but that's going to be increasingly tricky.

Don't let all of the summon naysayers dissuade you; we use it multiple times a day to get in and out of our garage. It isn't perfect,
    but it works most of the time and (so far) never fails in a "bad" (just "disappointing") way. Good luck!

• Like x 1