Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon into trailer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,
New to the forum and loving it!

We are about to order a MX and since we are avid RVers (unfortunately one cannot tow four down), we were wondering if we could summon the car in and out of our trailer so that we don't have to squeeze between the car and sidewall anymore).
Or is the trailer too confined for the autopilot function to operate safely?

Eager awaiting replies
Thanks,
Thomas

My X has about 15" on each side and summon cuts in an out and normally aborts before its successful. I've lowered the caution warnings as well. But only a true test will work or not.

Try to get a 24hr test drive.

Lastly if you need a referral code to save $1000, feel free to use mine.

Reactions: Cyclone
All good points, Thank you very much for your replies.
I would certainly be a challenge to make it work.
Maybe I should tow the trailer to a store and have them try it.
(I doubt they would let me have it for 24 hrs).

They likely will if you are seriously interested. It has been done many times before. Also explain the situation to them. Let us know how it goes! Videos are always appreciated. :)

All good points, Thank you very much for your replies.
I would certainly be a challenge to make it work.
Maybe I should tow the trailer to a store and have them try it.
(I doubt they would let me have it for 24 hrs).

The tesla folks are quite reasonable. I had one for 24 hrs since I wanted to see how tight the fight was in the garage, 3carseats and the logistics loading and unloading the kiddos.

Would love to see a video...if you get the chance to make it happen

My X has about 15" on each side and summon cuts in an out and normally aborts before its successful. I've lowered the caution warnings as well. But only a true test will work or not.

Try to get a 24hr test drive.

Lastly if you need a referral code to save $1000, feel free to use mine.

Wow this IS a tight fit. Does the car over time "remember" the space and now parks without problems?
Did you have to arrange a few things in your garage to give the car it's "perimeter"?

Wow this IS a tight fit. Does the car over time "remember" the space and now parks without problems?
Did you have to arrange a few things in your garage to give the car it's "perimeter"?

I now use summon mainly to go out of the garage. Haven't summoned into it yet. Kinda nervous TBH. It has to go in right since my wife's Tahoe is already in the garage and I have to come within 17-20" gap of the front bumper to close the garage door.

The perimeter is dictated by our shoe rack (front), garage wall and hanging tools (driver side), wife's Tahoe (passenger side), garage door (rear). When our garage is close our truck can't open, so the Frunk is used.

The falcon wing doors won't open from the fob since it's too tight but will barely open by door handle. Once it's open I manually control how high it goes.

summon HATES narrow spaces and steep drives. my drive is way too steep and the garage entrance gives me 2" on either side until i'm in the garage all the way. at least the FWDs open up all the way when i force them and set always fully open at this location.

step 1: go to dollar store and buy 20-30 of the plastifoam "noodle" floaties. Summer is over and they are on clearance.
step2: glue them around your trailer inside at 18" high and 24" high
step3: back model x into garage
step4: position trailer in front of Model X with ramp almost flat and trailer body below ramp
step5: set summon to minimum margins and glue a 4x4 across floor to stop front wheels
step6: Summon forward into trailer, all the way...hold button untill you hear the 4x4 groan.
step7: Push additional 4x4 into rear behind rear wheels or better yet use airplane chocks and pop them a few strokes with sledge to seal the deal.
Happy trailering!
Also you can substitute the U-wash-it bay for the garage with the right slope. In fact the U-Wash bay works real good because you can tow the trailer through, set the ramp angle, then drive the X around the pull through bay from the other side.

Wow Radical, but I like it :D
A lot of things have changed: We decided to buy the S60 after Tesla decided to drop the X60 (and we realized that towing with a X60 was very unrealistic), the day we wanted to place the order.
But we are very happy with our S and since the service technician told us that a Tesla is constantly "learning" we periodically try to make her "go" in the trailer "come on girl..come on...good girl" :rolleyes: