TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Summon is limited in Canada?!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ytwytw, Feb 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ytwytw

ytwytw Member

just realized I cannot summon the car out of the garage via phone app unless I near the car

And I cannot summon the car via key fob

Canadian regulation ?! Or Ontario issue?!

2. jdw

jdw Supporting Member

Canadian issue - all Canadian cars have immobilizers and require the fob to be present and summon to be controlled from the phone app. Functionally useless ...and actually more dangerous.

• Informative x 1
  3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yep. And really annoying because you have to be very close to the car. Only works about half the time.

• Like x 1
  4. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Member

Not completely useless. It’s great for blowing peoples minds when you ‘call’ your car out of its parking spot. ;)

I pull a headfake and hide my thumb on the app and just verbally say ‘come here’. Really shocks people when my car ‘listens’ to me :D

• Funny x 1
  5. wayner

wayner Active Member

I wouldn't say it is useless - I use it from time to time as the parking spots at the GO station where I park are very tight. Rather than try to squeeze myself into the car I will use Summon.

6. ytwytw

ytwytw Member

The problem is... it has to be super nearby the car...

I am using iPhone SE and most of the time don’t work

Require key rob to present to work then why not just control via keyfob

That’s dumbest thing I’ve ever learned at SC yesterday

Nah I can just squeeze myself in parking spot, not fully trust summon to drive into a tight spot as SC says it can only to straight line, steering wheel might not turn to avoid side cars...

7. wayner

wayner Active Member

Yes - you have to be within fob range of the car. So I stand right beside the rear of the vehicle and back it out of the parking spot.

But this isn't anything new - Summon has always worked this way in Canada. It is more of a novelty than anything else but can be useful if someone else parks really close and jams you in.

• Like x 2
  8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

It is useful on occasion. The other day there was only one spot at the Starbucks and I had to walk on ice right next to a retaining wall. Bit of a drop if I slipped.

So when we left I went out and summoned the car while my wife picked up something to go. The barrista saw me do it and it blew her mind. I had to wait a bit while my wife had some “Tesla time” lol.

• Funny x 1
  9. ytwytw

ytwytw Member

It’s a neat party trick

The thing is...

Some parking lots in downtown Toronto don’t have cellular signal

Summon won’t work

with key fob, it doesn’t need internet

Today I tried to back into a tight spot and realized it won’t work without cellular (car has no signal either)

Outside Toronto, I don’t even need summon anyways lol

• Informative x 1
  10. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

A couple times I placed the fob on the wiper. Then you can control from the phone several metres away and can carefully watch the corners as you are backing or pulling out of the tight spot.

11. wayner

wayner Active Member

I think that it needs an internet connection- could be wifi or cellular. Some folks use summon to get in/out of their garage at home where they could have wifi.