Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon is on the App!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this was scary on my first attempt at summon out of my garage this morning via the app.

IMG_1331.jpg

Luckily I was watching and quickly thought to run behind the car to prevent it from backing into the hill in my front yard! I must have lost signal on the wifi between the car and the app. I've also noticed some issues with my previously working homelink so I think I need to reboot, reset the location, read up more, and practice before using my new features :)

Yikes! I'd definitely not count on the phone's STOP button in this case. There are too many things that could go wrong: lost connectivity, app crash, OS malfunction.... Even if you use the app to initiate, you should be able to use the key fob to stop, so I'd just have that at the ready.

Ah, plugged in. I wonder how many other people will get bit by that one. We need the snake!

If you want to be able to open your garage from your phone, buy one of these:

Chamberlain MYQ-G0201 MyQ-Garage Controls Your Garage Door Opener with Your Smartphone Chamberlain MYQ-G0201 MyQ-Garage Controls Your Garage Door Opener with Your Smartphone - Garage Automation Products - Amazon.com
I have this and it works well. App tells if doors is open or closed and you can control it from anywhere.

Along the lines of @mikeash's thoughts, if I think about the "FOB vs App?" question regarding Summon Emergency Stop, it comes down to how risk adverse one is. Some people can't break their phone away from their hands, so they prefer that interface because it's super convenient. Great. But for me with this new tech, I also want to consider how many things could go wrong communicating with my MS if I need to initiate an emergency stop when Summoning (39' will have my MS out in the street):

• Not using Summon in the first place has least points of possible failure -- just the driver and MS no different than normal driving, but assuming I want the convenience of Summon:
    • My FOB communicates direct to my MS -- FOB batteries and multiple antenna could fail, but its probably relatively low risk an emergency stop request would fail if I just initiated Summon with the FOB
    • My smartphone OTOH has a lot more between it and my MS: Phone OS and App, either home WiFi & Internet or your Cellular Carrier, Tesla servers, AT&T Cellular, and more (depending upon how detailed one wants to be with this) before the command gets to my MS
The phone app is convenient, but has many more points of possible failure if a driver needs to take a real-time action to stop your MS. I'm glad Tesla has provided both options for owners to choose from. I'm not so sure I'd be comfortable with the App alone in an emergency.