Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon locked out with invalid "Waiting for improved phone location accuracy"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I went to try Summon. I went to the Tesla app, and hesitantly (with a groan, anticipating stupid issues as usual) opened the Summon page.

It stuck at "Waiting for improved phone location accuracy".

I go to Google Maps. Grey dot. Blue dot with big circle. Blue dot with little circle. Blue dot with flashlight heading indication. Locked-on. Location acquired.

I go back to Tesla. "Waiting for improved location accuracy". ?????

I go to the Location section of the app. Red arrow. Blue dot, big circle. Blue dot, little circle. Blue dot, no circle. Locked-on, location acquired.

Back to Summon. "Waiting for improved location accuracy"...

Clear Tesla app data and cache. :mad::(:mad: Log back in to the app. Re-allow all permissions by "App Info". Car key gets un-paired. :mad:

Back to Summon. "Waiting for improved phone location accuracy"...

cHpnwBw9t3HJPXcfCEP3GgZRrcAajR1zQ6fBSfVBimqijGmnq7zfkTSn52wLqEDfAtzIueAzz5v_b4RTI6V1PZARG1Fl6C1RGdnL2-QkfEOlbMsj1cC9opd87xPqX-eKYBl7jOds2xl1nrvYc8TnBgbwC7g5VsEfmg4j3-P3E2sNOTQHepZ52i141y-U_3Jz7qx0alWnSpEtAnCOc4rfoZ5GgW_bXKtiPUOEy2Cfm8m6qQzWQobVnfH9_NJVoFD0JC0uCsfIug-LMqPy_5LFkI1VF7S8Lf65ulqz7JvxZsAiZ3hHQeD1gYPU86RIb83kzk3vhw9CieJoTJt22Cb8J-vU5TY15ipsMg_n5GOE0H9AlA7RYN4AQv16zaznc8v_8YdLrcoMD21s5Agy5mfqeBfZIE2Rq95zxtx36y8W80Ll9g83dC0iOJbBB-1zy3LVWtoXCmSG2gCxmkZaK6ZqCu1wI5Zp3ZP0QVk-Crde7Pjg0ncGKshYHqgxzdezON3A_UXFGR0aXYajypJzav-M17Wl9YBifxW_hsh8I5Z5xfzVxqYb3vrH3x9jSzEwD2LlXT9_608m1uyjeZ1aNSULgVB_k8UnYtOD02SOUgHLluFICNCK8xbl9ma3x9UWYem0rUxFB7SKL5Qn3LotuYZ6y_BrgbaNuK1uBRojMMPcxEZjG91y8u-zeNJ8BJzGOtY=w528-h938-no

Sick of standing around outside looking stupid, I head over to the car. Get out my wallet and tap the card like a plebe. Put my stuff in the car. Pair the app again (did you know you can tap the card on the outside to pair it as well?). Check the app. "Close doors to use Summon". I close the trunk. "Waiting for improved phone location accuracy"...

What the eff.

The app and its connectivity glitches is by far the biggest problem with Summon.

That's interesting. The last two times I've tried summon it has worked flawlessly. I was out fishing over the weekend and some kids were remarking on how cool my car was. I asked if they wanted to see it drive itself. I was totally waiting for summon to not work, but it was perfect!

That's interesting. The last two times I've tried summon it has worked flawlessly. I was out fishing over the weekend and some kids were remarking on how cool my car was. I asked if they wanted to see it drive itself. I was totally waiting for summon to not work, but it was perfect!
I'd guess it's a momentary issue. There is so much opacity in the Tesla system, honestly it's a fair bet that this is a server issue... since Summon like all other app features (except key-related things) are server-based.

Still happening right now, while I'm at home. Perfect GPS signal, stuck on "waiting for improved phone location accuracy".

I rarely try to use Summon for anything, because the app <-> server <-> car connectivity chain is so problematic. Car moves into the edge of WiFi range, things get spotty. Phone moves out of WiFI range, things get spotty. Transition between the two, connection breaks, car stops cold and sometimes I even have to run and go get it out of a bad spot only because the app or the car disconnected... wonder how useful (Smart) Summon could be if it didn't rely on that data connection so intensely.

I play Pokémon Go (don't judge) and I've found there are just some spots where Location Services loses its mind. It's usually around tall obstructions, but not always. It will show me as across the street, or hilariously running in circles.

Can you imagine summoning your Tesla, only to have it doing doughnuts across the street looking for you lol

What kind of phone are you using? Have you tried rebooting the phone?
Moto Z2 Force. Typically a flawless phone, so good that when my last one died, I actually used an iPhone for a month, then bought and used a Galaxy S10e for another month, then returned it and bought another Z2 Force. Freakin' love this phone.

(un)Amusingly, rebooting is exactly what did the trick. Tested it before rebooting - same thing, in Google Maps it went from big circle to little circle to no circle, location was spot-on... Tesla still said it was "waiting". Rebooted, and when it came back I waited in Google Maps for the same routine - to get accurate location lock - and then switched to Tesla. No waiting at all... just came right up.

Now, don't get the idea this is an Android thing... iOS is just as guilty in different ways :p I've never not had connectivity/app issues with Summon, even while I was living in Apple's walled garden!

I play Pokémon Go (don't judge) and I've found there are just some spots where Location Services loses its mind. It's usually around tall obstructions, but not always. It will show me as across the street, or hilariously running in circles.

Can you imagine summoning your Tesla, only to have it doing doughnuts across the street looking for you lol
But when that happens in Pokemon Go it's amazing. You get all that exercise credit for just sitting there!

Reactions: CyberGus
Moto Z2 Force. Typically a flawless phone, so good that when my last one died, I actually used an iPhone for a month, then bought and used a Galaxy S10e for another month, then returned it and bought another Z2 Force. Freakin' love this phone.

(un)Amusingly, rebooting is exactly what did the trick. Tested it before rebooting - same thing, in Google Maps it went from big circle to little circle to no circle, location was spot-on... Tesla still said it was "waiting". Rebooted, and when it came back I waited in Google Maps for the same routine - to get accurate location lock - and then switched to Tesla. No waiting at all... just came right up.

Now, don't get the idea this is an Android thing... iOS is just as guilty in different ways :p I've never not had connectivity/app issues with Summon, even while I was living in Apple's walled garden!
Glad that worked. #1 computer troubleshooting step. "Have you turned it off and on?"

This continues to be a problem on a daily basis. Every time I go to use Summon (of any kind, just opening the Summon page of the app), I'm locked out with "waiting for improved phone location accuracy". Have to completely reboot the phone to get it to work once.

No other apps have this problem. I use location apps on a daily basis - right now Amazon Flex in particular, delivering packages. Sometimes I want to grab the car with Smart Summon where it would be actually handy (if just marginally). The app, again, is the biggest failure of the system.

I think this has gone from a "whoops lol one time problem" to a systemic issue with the Tesla app itself...

Reactions: outdoors
This continues to be a problem on a daily basis. Every time I go to use Summon (of any kind, just opening the Summon page of the app), I'm locked out with "waiting for improved phone location accuracy". Have to completely reboot the phone to get it to work once.

No other apps have this problem. I use location apps on a daily basis - right now Amazon Flex in particular, delivering packages. Sometimes I want to grab the car with Smart Summon where it would be actually handy (if just marginally). The app, again, is the biggest failure of the system.

I think this has gone from a "whoops lol one time problem" to a systemic issue with the Tesla app itself...

I personally gave up. I have an empty parking lot. I park within the radius. If it takes more than 15 seconds to aquire I am on my way to the car. Don't have time for the shinanigens of finding the car. Works for me maybe 50% of the time.

Yes I have all the settings correct....

Reactions: FalconFour
Today I went to try Summon. I went to the Tesla app, and hesitantly (with a groan, anticipating stupid issues as usual) opened the Summon page.

It stuck at "Waiting for improved phone location accuracy".

I go to Google Maps. Grey dot. Blue dot with big circle. Blue dot with little circle. Blue dot with flashlight heading indication. Locked-on. Location acquired.

I go back to Tesla. "Waiting for improved location accuracy". ?????

I go to the Location section of the app. Red arrow. Blue dot, big circle. Blue dot, little circle. Blue dot, no circle. Locked-on, location acquired.

Back to Summon. "Waiting for improved location accuracy"...

Clear Tesla app data and cache. :mad::(:mad: Log back in to the app. Re-allow all permissions by "App Info". Car key gets un-paired. :mad:

Back to Summon. "Waiting for improved phone location accuracy"...

cHpnwBw9t3HJPXcfCEP3GgZRrcAajR1zQ6fBSfVBimqijGmnq7zfkTSn52wLqEDfAtzIueAzz5v_b4RTI6V1PZARG1Fl6C1RGdnL2-QkfEOlbMsj1cC9opd87xPqX-eKYBl7jOds2xl1nrvYc8TnBgbwC7g5VsEfmg4j3-P3E2sNOTQHepZ52i141y-U_3Jz7qx0alWnSpEtAnCOc4rfoZ5GgW_bXKtiPUOEy2Cfm8m6qQzWQobVnfH9_NJVoFD0JC0uCsfIug-LMqPy_5LFkI1VF7S8Lf65ulqz7JvxZsAiZ3hHQeD1gYPU86RIb83kzk3vhw9CieJoTJt22Cb8J-vU5TY15ipsMg_n5GOE0H9AlA7RYN4AQv16zaznc8v_8YdLrcoMD21s5Agy5mfqeBfZIE2Rq95zxtx36y8W80Ll9g83dC0iOJbBB-1zy3LVWtoXCmSG2gCxmkZaK6ZqCu1wI5Zp3ZP0QVk-Crde7Pjg0ncGKshYHqgxzdezON3A_UXFGR0aXYajypJzav-M17Wl9YBifxW_hsh8I5Z5xfzVxqYb3vrH3x9jSzEwD2LlXT9_608m1uyjeZ1aNSULgVB_k8UnYtOD02SOUgHLluFICNCK8xbl9ma3x9UWYem0rUxFB7SKL5Qn3LotuYZ6y_BrgbaNuK1uBRojMMPcxEZjG91y8u-zeNJ8BJzGOtY=w528-h938-no

Sick of standing around outside looking stupid, I head over to the car. Get out my wallet and tap the card like a plebe. Put my stuff in the car. Pair the app again (did you know you can tap the card on the outside to pair it as well?). Check the app. "Close doors to use Summon". I close the trunk. "Waiting for improved phone location accuracy"...

What the eff.

The app and its connectivity glitches is by far the biggest problem with Summon.

Time for a new phone. That's really the next step. :D

I personally gave up. I have an empty parking lot. I park within the radius. If it takes more than 15 seconds to aquire I am on my way to the car. Don't have time for the shinanigens of finding the car. Works for me maybe 50% of the time.

Yes I have all the settings correct....
Same here. Mine looses touch soon after starting up. As I said in another post this thing is a gadget and not worth the time fiddling with it.
If it can't find me in an empty 10 acre parking lot what good is it.

Glad it worked. I would not have wanted to see a post from you about the car being in the lake :) yes, just trying to get a smile from you. Now that you mention it, I don't think I have tried the summon in over a year. I hope it is generally better by now.